Sennheiser vs. V-Moda

H

hsumix

Enthusiast
So I'm looking at some headphones...having a hard time deciding b/c I don't have a local store that I can go and physically check these out...here's what I'm looking at...

Sennheiser HD-650
Sennheiser Momentum
V-Moda m-100

I would use these mostly for music. Can anybody help...any suggestions or experience you can share? Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I'm looking at some headphones...having a hard time deciding b/c I don't have a local store that I can go and physically check these out...here's what I'm looking at...

Sennheiser HD-650
Sennheiser Momentum
V-Moda m-100

I would use these mostly for music. Can anybody help...any suggestions or experience you can share? Thanks!
Sen have set the standard for phones for years. I have nothing but excellent results form Sens. V-Moda, I have never heard of and probably don't want to.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have no experience with the V-moda or the Momentum but the HD-650 is one of, if not the best set of headphones for the money. The HD600 was for a long time a best buy, and the HD650 pretty much ended that since it is even better. I would recommend you head over to head-fi forums and spend some time with the search button as there are probably 10 thousand posts on the phones you are interested in. You can also pick up a set of whatever you want on the used market for a nice discount, some of the folks at head-fi buy a set of headphones, listen to them for 2 hours and sell them.

I do own a pair of the HD-650's and they are an excellent headphone and i find them very comfortable. I have also had the HD280 pro, and Grado SR125's but the 650 is rightly so at 5x the price of those, in a class of its own.

There are also a few beyerdynamic headphones in this price range you might want to check into. Sorry I cant provide specific model numbers.

H

hsumix

Enthusiast
thanks haoleb! good suggestion...i'll head over to head-fi and do some searching over there.

do you have a portable amp that you use w/ your hd-650's?

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
I also have the 650's, came up from the Sennheiser hd380 pro's and had the laborous task of listening to almost all of my music collection to make me believe I was not just hearing some benefits from the 650's. They have opened up a new level of enjoyment of music for me. You might try Amazon and see if you like what you hear. If you do not like them they will take them back. You could also try the headphone lending library ....NEW Headphone Lending Library... a portion of the info.....The Hi-End Headphone Library:Twenty years ago a similar situation existed with high performance audio cables. Then we started our Cable Lending Library. Now twenty years later there are many thousands of our clients who have had the opportunity to optimize their system by borrowing and auditioning cables in their own home, with their own systems and music. Personal home auditions have allowed them to choose the perfect cables for their system.

Similarly there is no better way to determine a headphone's performance, system compatibility, and long term comfort, than with an extended in-home audition.

And so (drum roll please) based upon the prototype of our Cable Lending Library, The Cable Company is pleased to announce our new Hi-End Headphone Lending Library.

We have assembled a selection of the finest High Performance Headphones available. The top headphones from Audeze, beyerdynamic, Grado, HiFiMan,Sennheiser, and Ultrasone are the foundation of our Hi-End Headphone Library.

Headphone Amplifiers are also important:
What if you don't have a headphone amp worthy of these high performance headphones? Not to worry. We have also assembled the best of high performance headphone amplifiers from Burson, Cavalli,Luxman, Alpha Design Labs (Furutech), and HiFiMan, also available for you to try at home. Now it is possible to borrow several sets of high performance headphones and amplifiers and thereby come to an informed decision based upon your own ears.

So how can I borrow some headphones?
Give us a call and speak to one of our knowledgeable consultants or contact us by email using the contact link (upper right on this page). Our customers in the US may borrow up to several headphones/ amps at a time from The Library for a period of approximately 2 weeks. Given shipping times this should leave the products actually in your hands for evaluation for approximately 7 to 10 days.

A deposit equal to 5% of the selling price of the borrowed products will be charged to your credit card when we ship. This deposit is not refundable, but will be applied in full against purchases (headphones or any other new or used products) from The Cable Company, Usedcable.com, or our Ultra Systems affiliate.

While The Cable Company will pay domestic surface shipping charges on all headphone-related purchases over $50 (as well as purchases of all terminated cables and audio accessories over $50 up to 5 lbs.), shipping charges for products borrowed from The Library must be paid by the customer (we will endeavor to minimize charges by making use of the least expensive UPS or FEDEX service which allows the consumer to take full advantage of the demonstration period).

A notice will be included with the shipment of borrowed products stating the date they should be shipped back to The Cable Company. The customer should contact The Cable Company at least 2 days before this return date to confirm use of the prepaid return label, or so that The Cable Company can issue the necessary “call tag” for pick-up. Use of the return label or call tag saves the consumer having to deal directly with UPS or FEDEX. Nice!
While credit card, Paypal, cash, check or money order may be used to purchase products, access to The Library is by credit card only.

As you see they also have some amps for rental as well. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
thanks haoleb! good suggestion...i'll head over to head-fi and do some searching over there.

do you have a portable amp that you use w/ your hd-650's?
I dont use the HD650 except at my desk or within the 10' reach of the cord, I have mine plugged into a Schiit Lyr headphone amp and my source is a Teac UD501 USB dac which itself has a decent headphone output but at only 100mw into 32 ohms the output of the Teac does not quite have all the oomph needed to really drive the Sennheiser's. The schiit on the other hand has a rated output of 6 watts into 32 ohms which is more than enough. and then some. I picked up both the headphones and the headphone amp used off of the head-fi forums, both of which are in like new condition and saved me a few hundred dollars!

Another good place to research headphones is headphone.com they have FR graphs and all sorts of other info that may help you decide.

Dudesicle

Audiophyte
I would say sennheiser. I was not pleased with the m-100's compared to other similarly geared headphones. The sennheisers will not have as much bass extension as the v-modas, but you won't sacrifice a world of clarity, either.

Last edited:
J

jelkinsmith

Audiophyte
Hello,
I don't know anything about V-Moda, but I can say from my experience that Sennheiser momentum, or any sennheiser headsets are really very good. If you are in search of any high quality headphones then it will be worthy to buy Sennheiser momentum and experience the difference.

RCranesNZ

RCranesNZ

Audiophyte
+1 to Sennheiser momentum. They are highly optimized for crystal surround sound that makes your gaming and movie experience better than ever before.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis