New Receivers from Marantz: SR5008, SR6008, and SR7008

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Hot off the heals of our Denon, Yamaha, and Integra receiver previews comes the release of Marantz's 2013 lineup. Two receivers get a bump in price, the SR7007 sticks around to fill in the gap, and we get the skinny from Marantz on what really sets them apart from their sister company Denon.

Read the full Marantz SR5008, SR6008, & SR7008 Preview

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It used to be more clear cut as to which Denon model compares with the corresponding Marantz model in terms of feature set, specs and prices. Apparently not any more, but it seems the X4000 would fit between the 6008 and 7008 while the 7008 fits between the X4000 and the 4520. Nothing makes total sense any more, but I agree that between the two product lines Denon/Marantz has most people covered.

K

kidkley

Audiophyte
...but it seems the X4000 would fit between the 6008 and 7008 while the 7008 fits between the X4000 and the 4520.
That's EXACTLY what I would like to know: how does the Denon 4520 compares with the new Marantz 7008. They basically share the same features, although the Denon seems to have more features - but what really matters to me, Audyssey XT32, SubEq and LFC, are present in both receivers. I've seen the 4520 here in Brazil with good prices since it's not that new anymore, but I wonder which one should I pick up: the 4520 or the 7008... Any thoughts, anyone?
Thanks! :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's EXACTLY what I would like to know: how does the Denon 4520 compares with the new Marantz 7008. They basically share the same features, although the Denon seems to have more features - but what really matters to me, Audyssey XT32, SubEq and LFC, are present in both receivers. I've seen the 4520 here in Brazil with good prices since it's not that new anymore, but I wonder which one should I pick up: the 4520 or the 7008... Any thoughts, anyone?
Thanks! :)
If you can get good price for the 4520, go for it if the following is worth a little more to you.

11.2 capable.
32 bit DAC
Denon Link HD
4 port Ethernet hub
More powerful amps, larger power supply

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i would have bought a marantz instead of my denon just for the looks if they had offered the same features at anywhere close to the same price. just don't see marantz keeping up in the AVR market with this lineup, sorry.

S

Superfly

Audioholic Intern
Now, I guess we can now agree that the Denon and the Marantz have a different sound... and they aren't the same

G

GlockFan

Audiophyte
I like the looks of the Marantz 7008 with the porthole design and rounded edges.
I think it is one of the best looking receivers. However, I went with the Denon 4520.

W

Wunji

Audiophyte
Confusion...

Gene,

This is my first post as a new member of Audioholics! Glad to be a part of the :)

As I am trying to decide which A/V receiver to purchase of late, I was reading your review of the new Marantz receivers.

You said "The SR5008 only has 7 sets of binding posts so the surround back channels pull double duty and power zone 2 as well. Marantz actually continues using the surround back channels for zone 2 all the way up to the SR7008. This configuration makes it a pain for people who use zone 2 and 7.1, because they will either have to switch out speaker cables or use an external amp for zone 2. I would rather that Marantz follow Yamaha’s lead and use the front height/width channels (available on the SR6008 and SR7008) for zone 2."

The problem I am having here is that Yamaha says this about the intelligent amp design for the Rx-3030...

"Intelligent Amp Assign

Intelligent Amp Assign automatically assigns amplifier channels to certain speakers, depending on what functions are selected. For example, when Zone 2 is off, all 9.1 channels will be used in the Main Zone. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the two surround back channels will be directed to the two speakers in Zone 2 and the Main Zone will receive 7.1 channels of power. Similarly, when CINEMA DSP 3D is on, the two Rear Presence speakers will be powered and not the two surround back speakers. When CINEMA DSP 3D is off, this situation is reversed. Thanks to Intelligent Amp Assign, there’s no need to switch the speaker cables on the rear of the receiver—one more way Yamaha makes your life a little easier."

So, I believe that Yamaha is doing the same thing as Marantz, and using the back surround speakers to power zone 2. Is this not how I should understand this or what?

Some clarification would greatly be appreciated as I would certainly rather pull power from a front "high or wide" speaker rather than the back surround speakers.

Your thoughts?
Sam

T

thedonald

Audiophyte
I'm looking to send digital (hdmi) input to both zones 1 and 2 (my zone 2 speakers are very close to zone 1). The SR7008 looks like the only amp that can do this. Ideally I'd also get hdmi to zone 3 as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

M

Maxi

Audiophyte
Actually the difference in sound between 6007 and 3313 is very audible. Especially noticeable in detail sound.
But 6006 and 3313 are very similar in sound.

Guys, I recently fortunate enough to hear 7008 with good acoustics in stereo, it's amazing, I had never heard anything like it.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I just recently bought the Marantz SR6008. I bought Marantz for the reputed warmth and clarity. I was not disappointed. I got the 6008 because it was the lowest common denominator providing a 2nd HDMI out for my evil purposes.

I considered a 6007 for a while. Then I saw the spec sheets for both. (SR6007, SR6008) Looking at the 6-ohm distortion rating for each, it's clear that some sort of advanced sorcery has been employed in the 08. Considering that 8 ohm speakers aren't consistently 8 ohms from min to max frequency, I figured I'd get the best sound from the current model. That, and I've also got my eye on a pair of 6-ohm mains.

Regarding all the Zone 2 / Zone 3 garbage, I'm completely befuddled by this. I don't get why multi-zone capability is such a popular feature in receivers, or why it should be a deal breaker if a Yamaha's zone 2 uses the front height channels rather than the rear surround. I mean, after you have gone to the trouble of running wires from room to room, setting up an RF extender / IR blaster, and so on, only to end up with 2.1 sound in the second room, wouldn't it have been easier (and perhaps even cheaper) just to buy a dedicated system for the 2nd room? I mean, if your source is Blu-Ray or similar, it seems awfully inefficient to go to a different room to insert a disc. If you're streaming FLAC files from a media server, ethernet or wifi ought to be just as effective and much less complicated. If you're piping music outside to a hot tub, then what's the benefit of making your home theater receiver pull double duty rather than using a second amp or a second receiver? What sort of first world problem is Zone 2 solving?

Then again, I intentionally try to limit my AV technology to one room of the house. I don't even have a television in my bedroom, and I prefer it that way. I used to be such a technophile. Have I become that old guy, the 12 o'clock flasher? (You know, where every clock in the house flashes 12:00.)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I just recently bought the Marantz SR6008. I bought Marantz for the reputed warmth and clarity. I was not disappointed. I got the 6008 because it was the lowest common denominator providing a 2nd HDMI out for my evil purposes.

I considered a 6007 for a while. Then I saw the spec sheets for both. (SR6007, SR6008) Looking at the 6-ohm distortion rating for each, it's clear that some sort of advanced sorcery has been employed in the 08. Considering that 8 ohm speakers aren't consistently 8 ohms from min to max frequency, I figured I'd get the best sound from the current model. That, and I've also got my eye on a pair of 6-ohm mains.

Regarding all the Zone 2 / Zone 3 garbage, I'm completely befuddled by this. I don't get why multi-zone capability is such a popular feature in receivers, or why it should be a deal breaker if a Yamaha's zone 2 uses the front height channels rather than the rear surround. I mean, after you have gone to the trouble of running wires from room to room, setting up an RF extender / IR blaster, and so on, only to end up with 2.1 sound in the second room, wouldn't it have been easier (and perhaps even cheaper) just to buy a dedicated system for the 2nd room? I mean, if your source is Blu-Ray or similar, it seems awfully inefficient to go to a different room to insert a disc. If you're streaming FLAC files from a media server, ethernet or wifi ought to be just as effective and much less complicated. If you're piping music outside to a hot tub, then what's the benefit of making your home theater receiver pull double duty rather than using a second amp or a second receiver? What sort of first world problem is Zone 2 solving?

Then again, I intentionally try to limit my AV technology to one room of the house. I don't even have a television in my bedroom, and I prefer it that way. I used to be such a technophile. Have I become that old guy, the 12 o'clock flasher? (You know, where every clock in the house flashes 12:00.)
I'm with you on the Zone 2 stuff. It just seems like more trouble than it's worth to me. I prefer a system for each room where it is needed.

A possible exception might be running Zone 2 for outside/patio.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
A possible exception might be running Zone 2 for outside/patio.
It's exactly what I use zone 2 for, pair of speakers on a deck. Music stored on a NAS and control everything from my phone with the Marantz App. It's awesome.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis