Sony BDV-N8100W Blu-Ray Home Theater System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The BDV-N8100W is Sony's newest HTIB, and seems to follow the rest of the pack in terms features, build quality and price. Yeah, it's packed with features like, 3D, WiFi, and 4K upscaling, but what about the sound quality?

The design seems to be features and convenience over sound quality, which is standard for most HTIBs.

Read the full Sony BDV-N8100W 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System Preview on the editorial site.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
What is the point in reviewing units like this? They have nothing to do with audio quality, and are a waste of time for someone looking for high quality reproduction of their media, which is what Audioholics should be about.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Steve, I'm glad to see that you've joined the writing staff. I like your writing style quite a bit. Nice job!

What is the point in reviewing units like this? They have nothing to do with audio quality, and are a waste of time for someone looking for high quality reproduction of their media, which is what Audioholics should be about.
I have a different opinion of Audioholics. I don't think it's about high quality reproduction - I think it's about understanding what you're buying. So, knowing if a system like this will give you what you want. For some people, it will...for others, it won't. My parents, for example, would like something like this much more than a system with big speakers and wires running everywhere. They also think that their TV speakers sound fine, and I imagine that this would be a step up.

Even if we stick with the thought that AH is only about high quality reproduction, there's value is discussing which systems don't have it and why.

All of that said, this is a PREVIEW. Steve doesn't actually know what the system sounds like. Discussions of sound quality are all speculation based primarily on driver size. I owned a "subwoofer" with an 8" driver that impressed the heck out of me, and my current PC system has similar sized drivers to this Sony and does a good job in a smaller room.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I have a different opinion of Audioholics. I don't think it's about high quality reproduction - I think it's about understanding what you're buying.
Ahh, good point. Not so much about 'just high-end' but also some lower end stuff for comparisons between the two for new buyers then?

I can dig that :)

Adjepatatje

Audiophyte
It IS usefull

I find this article usefull (especially for a noob like me) !!
Someone in the Netherlands, there was a deal for exactly this system.
And because I am the bigest noob about audio systems I find the review interesting and the suggestion for other systems.
It this review was not written, I was till looking for a review for this audio system.
GREAT!
Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis