modifying my tv stand to fit SVS PB13 Ultra inside. will it sound ok?

S

stevie.b

Audiophyte
Hi there I have new Paradigm speakers on the way. I am also purchasing a SVS PB13 Ultra but i really have nowhere to fit in. However i am willing to modify my Tv entertainment unit to fit it in the center under the center channel (where THX recommends a sub to go. What i would like to know is once the sub is slid into the unit will it sound ok or make the sub boomy? what are your thoughts. I will be removing the glass window, draw and shelf from the center and it will fit nice and snug in there. paradigm cc690 will be above. Paradigm Studio 100's L+R.

Thanks
Stevie.B

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:
pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
That's gonna be a bad a#$ system! I'm no audiophile but I'm learning a lot from those in this forum. From what I've learned so far I don't think it'll be a problem, well it might be a problem keepingstuff on top your tv stand due to the vibration. But performance wise it shouldn't matter because its a front firing woofer and the ports are also face the front.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
at the very least, i'd make sure the sub is sitting on the floor and not on any shelf (no part of the shelf touching the sub)

as to sounding boomy, i think that's more related to the subwoofer location in the room than the shelf affecting it's sound ... that's just my opinion.

S

stevie.b

Audiophyte
^^^^This.

Under the center channel may not be the best spot for your room.
Really ok. i was just following thx subwoofer recommendations, they say its prefered in the front center of the room as it wouldnt fit beside the L+R only option in the front was to modify the cabinet to fit. Ithink it would look good there but not sure how it would sound. The only other place is behind the couch against the side wall faceing the opposite wall. Behind the couch opens up to the kitchen area, we have an open planned living/kitchen/lounge.I guess i could try it behind, if it doesnt sound good ill do the mod.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
If you really have no room for other options, I would recomment modifing a speaker stand before an entertainment cabinet and put under one of the left or right speakers.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I actually think it might cause boominess.

What's on the outside of your mains?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Really ok. i was just following thx subwoofer recommendations, they say its prefered in the front center of the room as it wouldnt fit beside the L+R only option in the front was to modify the cabinet to fit. Ithink it would look good there but not sure how it would sound. The only other place is behind the couch against the side wall faceing the opposite wall. Behind the couch opens up to the kitchen area, we have an open planned living/kitchen/lounge.I guess i could try it behind, if it doesnt sound good ill do the mod.
That is actually the first time I've seen that particular recommendation on THX, which means they've changed it in recent years. It is not exactly incorrect, but it will likely not be the best placement for a large percentage of home systems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis