Axiom m-60 vs Aperion Versus Forte

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Long time since I have been around. ButI am finally looking to upgrade my front and center channels and I need some advice. I originally considered getting either the Axiom M-80 or the Aperion Verus Grands as my fronts. But on further reflection and as much as I want to go whole hog, I think they may simply be too much speaker for my room. It's roughly 14x14 and I think they just may be overkill. Would be interested in thoughts on this. Then there is also budget to consider.

So, I am looking at potentially getting either the M-60s or Verus Forte. And I am having a tough time deciding. The Versus is a beautiful looking speaker. But on paper at least, the M-60s look like more/better performing speaker for the money. And I can always pay extra and get a custom real-wood finish to upgrade the look. So, I would be interested in hearing some others thoughts on this decision.

That leaves selecting the center channel. For the Axiom, I would be looking at the VP-150. The 160's dimensions just don't work for my setup. For the Aperion I would be looking at the matching Versus Forte Center. So would also like to hear some feedback on that selection.

One other detail is that I am already using Axiom M-3s as my surrounds. Very happy with them, but not wedded to keeping the fronts in the same family. the receiver is a Yamaha RX-V659. So that should be finne for either choice. So as always, I await feedback. And if there are other options I should be looking at, I would love to hear those as well

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would go with Revel F12 or KEF Q900 for about $1300/pair or Focal 814V for $800.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestions. I will check these out in more detail alter today. Only initial downside is that they seem to all only come in black. I was looking for a cherry/real wood finish, but I suppose I can make black work. If you have time, I would be interested in a little more detail on your thinking here and any thoughts you have on the Axiom/Aperion side of things. Again, thanks for the other options to look at. I should also note that these will be split evenly between movies/TV and music.

Mike

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Aperion all the way. Your getting better quality cabinets, finishes, crossover components, cast drivers, and a great sounding speaker. Axiom skimps on all the standard equipment most companies offer but Axiom charges the same for a stripped down speaker.

Theres some serious flaws in Axioms crossover designs, like running the midrange "fullrange" cause impedance problems and cone breakup (where the metal woofer is trying to reproduce tweeter freqs causing it to sound like a church bell ringing) Not something you would want to spend over $1k for. More or larger drivers doesn't equal better.

High fidelity is masked by the bad xover design and priority was loud loud loud over the finer details.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Thanks gtp. Loud is definitely not my priority and I get the more drivers not always better comment. I am more interested in best fidelity for my budget and would like them to be aesthetically pleasing as well. I also have an Outlaw LFM-1 Sub, so don't really need the low end from my fronts as much. I need solid mid and upper range fidelity, especially from the Center. And as much as I want the Verus Grand, I think the Forte is more than enough speaker for my room.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestions. I will check these out in more detail alter today. Only initial downside is that they seem to all only come in black. I was looking for a cherry/real wood finish, but I suppose I can make black work. If you have time, I would be interested in a little more detail on your thinking here and any thoughts you have on the Axiom/Aperion side of things. Again, thanks for the other options to look at. I should also note that these will be split evenly between movies/TV and music.

Mike
I don't know about real wood, but the Revel & KEF comes in cherry and the Focal comes in some other color.

My thinking (& only my thinking) is that whether you buy Axiom, Aperion, Revel, KEF, Focal, you will probably find them all pretty good sounding.

The Axiom has that bashing going around for awhile, so I would stay the heck away from them. :D

Aperion is a small company and "pride of ownership" is probably low compared to the other 3 high-end companies.

Revel (own by Harman) probably has the most published research & science in their speakers with Floyd Toole and Sean Olive, etc. The Revel Salon2 ($22K) and JBL Everest ($80K) speakers are 2 of the best known and admired speakers in the world.

KEF is also big time. Their flagship speaker is the $200,000 Muon.

Focal is also giant. All their speakers are made in France (not China), and they also have their $200,000 flagship Grande Utopia speakers. Focal actually still sells their old beryllium tweeters to Wilson Audio, who makes $100,000+ speakers.

So why care? Some of us believe all that high end technology and money also trickle down to all their products. So even their lower lines benefit from their high end technology.

So the pride of ownership is much bigger with Revel, KEF, and Focal vs Aperion or Axiom.

Would you rather have a $40,000 Hyundai or a $40,000 BMW or Mercedes or Lexus ? :D

Of course, you should buy what you think sounds the best, not other factors. But I think these are also important in the long run.

That's what goes on in my head. :eek:

Last edited:
E

exlabdriver

FLM, while I have no experience with Aperion, I have owned Axioms of one sort or another for over 20 years. I presently have 3 sets in use that are all bookshelf speakers plus one small sub. For me they fulfill all of my listening requirements in spades. Their speakers are a tried & true design & are all competitive within their price range; however, some find their subs to be too expensive although I believe that my little EP400 sub on a clearance sale pricing is an excellent bang for the buck unit for my tube amp audio system - accurate, deep & quite powerful.

Although I don't have any, their towers still have a large following. You can find many positive reviews throughout the net over the past decade that can attest to their neutral & accurate character.

Anyway, it is likely that either of these brands would probably fill your needs nicely. Good luck in your quest...

TAM

F

FLMike

Audioholic
After a lot more reading I am leaning actually leaning towards to Verus Grand fronts. The Forte is just to small. But did talk to Aperion about using the Forte for my center due to space constraints and they said the two should be tonally compatible. Decision isn't final as I am still looking at some of Def's suggestions (especially the pair of Focals for under a grand), but everything I am seeing says that for the money these are some of the best you can get. And I love the finish. I know it should be secondary, but because of the location these speakers will occupy--in the main living area, not a theater room-- they are very visible and need to be visually complimentary to the other furniture in the house. Anyone have experience with the Verus Grands in the home?

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I
Aperion is a small company and "pride of ownership" is probably low compared to the other 3 high-end companies.
I don't know, Aperion has more Facebook likes than any of those highend 3. While isn't very scientific it kind of disproves the low "pride of ownership" comparison.

Kef has only 4,000 FB likes and Aperion has 17,500. What is pride of ownership?

But I realize there will be some that just look down their noses at ID and "low pride" made in China speakers, so no big deal.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What is pride of ownership?
Perhaps cachet is the more appropriate term (not that I necessarily think Aperion lacks cachet). Of course, I bought KEF because they are ADTG approved, so what do I know :confused::confused::D

PS: As far as pride of ownership goes, I'm quite pleased with the sound of my KEF setup, though the "paper veneer" leaves something to be desired. It quite literally looks like they took a piece of paper and printed a wood grain finish on it.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
KEF, Revel and the others are great speakers and its not to take anything away from them, but just because they make uber expensive speakers doesn't equal more pride in owning them (those companys bread and butter lineups are not better or worst than similar priced ID brands) , it just means you have deeper pockets. Its great to have uber expensive line up of speakers, its not cool to take a quick jab at a thread because it doesn't involve "Highend" expensive speakers.

Is it a jab to all those people who own $1,000 towers that they will never have the same pride in owning those as someone who paid $20k for their speakers.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
I opened another thread, since I upped my budget and changed speaker targets. But for the record I would happily drive a Hundai with the same or better features and performance than a Mercedes for less $$$ with lots of pride. Mainly pride in how much fatter my bank account was while I was having as much or more fun as I would with the "flagship" brand :) Btu that's just me. I also get that some people want a Mercedes, well, because it's a Mercedes. And that's cool too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
KEF, Revel and the others are great speakers and its not to take anything away from them, but just because they make uber expensive speakers doesn't equal more pride in owning them (those companys bread and butter lineups are not better or worst than similar priced ID brands) , it just means you have deeper pockets. Its great to have uber expensive line up of speakers, its not cool to take a quick jab at a thread because it doesn't involve "Highend" expensive speakers.

Is it a jab to all those people who own $1,000 towers that they will never have the same pride in owning those as someone who paid $20k for their speakers.
Okay, I apologize for that. I didn't mean it that way, but it does sound like it.

I'm just being brutally honest. For the same price, I would go for Revel or KEF. That's just one opinion.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
AcuDef, you sure didn't offend me and I appreciate the suggestions. They are helping me frame out the universe of what is out there and some different ways of approaching this purchase. So thanks for your input! :) I am actually looking at the Sierra Towers too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDef, you sure didn't offend me and I appreciate the suggestions. They are helping me frame out the universe of what is out there and some different ways of approaching this purchase. So thanks for your input! :) I am actually looking at the Sierra Towers too.
There are more than one school of thoughts. It's never about right vs wrong. Just different views. Different strokes for different folks, right? :D

I've been down a different path, the dark side :eek:, and so my perspective is a little different, or just messed up. :D

Last edited:
Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I had the Aperion's. They are great speakers. They sound great,but there is something about them that bugs me. I don't like the metal grille for one. I don't like the MDF or as I call it,hard plastic around the front of the speaker. Its bult like a tank but reminds me of a little industrialized. To each their own. The sound is great however. To me they were only 2nd to my Martin Logan's,which to me are out of the Aperion's league..

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Thanks guys. I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the Aperion Grands, with the Forte center. They had two Grands in Cherry that came back open box this morning, so I saved a couple of hundred bucks. And they still come with 30-days in home and full warranty. So if I don't like them, no harm. Thanks to everyone for the input. Def, I will let you know how that pride of ownership thing works out ;-)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis