Newbie Help Cables and Connectors

C

Chazmar

Audiophyte
Hi all. Well, I'm greener than green here with my first post:

I just purchased a set of Paradigm Studio 100 v2 speakers and a Mcintosh 7100 amp. What do you pros suggest I use for conductor cables and for connectors to the speakers themselves? I've seen banana connectors but I'm not sure what's ideal. Also, I heard 8 guage wire is better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.
Chas

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Here is some reading for you about wires:

Speaker Wire

For connectors at the end, the primary consideration for people is convenience for what fits their gear. Bare wire is fine if you are careful about not having any wayward strands, but many people like banana connections for use with 5 way binding posts.

You don't need expensive wires for any connection.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I can't say I've EVER seen home speakers that 8AWG would be "better" for anything.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I buy my cables at monoprice.com. That is a reliable source for perfectly competent cables. About a dozen years ago we conducted a bias controlled test to see if wire gauge could affect sound quality. While it might be possible to specify an extreme example, we weren't able to get a sonic difference from any speaker wire regardless of gauge. I use 14 gauge in my system because it is easy to hide under the flooring for the surreound speakers. The connectors will not have affect on anything other than convenience. I tin the ends of bare wire and use that so I don't have to worry about connector wear. Connecters are fine, however.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I buy my cables at monoprice.com. That is a reliable source for perfectly competent cables. About a dozen years ago we conducted a bias controlled test to see if wire gauge could affect sound quality. While it might be possible to specify an extreme example, we weren't able to get a sonic difference from any speaker wire regardless of gauge. I use 14 gauge in my system because it is easy to hide under the flooring for the surreound speakers. The connectors will not have affect on anything other than convenience. I tin the ends of bare wire and use that so I don't have to worry about connector wear. Connecters are fine, however.
That's right, let the crazy talk begin! ;)

F

Firefighter520

Enthusiast
From one newbie to another take their advice on monoprice cables! Quality cables at a great price, I am very pleased. I have done a ton of research on cable gauges and decided on 14 gauge to run throughout my HT. 12 gauge and 14 gauge seem to be the standard, haven't read of anyone using 8 gauge though. You will get great advice from these guys, they have helped me a ton!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis