S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
I have a stupid question, about how many dbs does it take to actually feel the sound pressure from a subwoofer?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It isn't that simple because we aren't talking about one frequency. Below ~20Hz it is pretty much ALL feel and not quite sound anymore. You would need to narrow it down to a type of sound.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
For me below 20 Hz is more like going through thoracic surgery, it is indeed a sound I have a hard time discribing, for me it reminds me when I was a kid at the old train stations, late 50s:eek:

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I have a stupid question, about how many dbs does it take to actually feel the sound pressure from a subwoofer?
Ultra Festival was here in Miami this weekend, you could have brought a meter and found out ;)

Short answer? In my experience, around 110dB spl at your body. I tend to find around 60-70Hz is what gives a more 'clothing blowing' effect and lower more of a 'back and forth' effect. 120dB+, starts to feel literally 'windy' ... ultra low frequencies people say are more felt than heard, but I don't find them more felt than say 60Hz. But, I've found among my friends (who all tend to love to 'feel' the bass) we tend to describe it differently. Someone might chime in with the theory and maybe better information.

If it's a good soundtrack (like a good action movie) I watch movies at 85dB (0dB on preamp) and on a tripod with peak measure at 115dB at listening position. Action sequences are tactile 'feel it' for sure.

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Thank you all for the info, guess I'm just trying to get an idea what I'm going to expect from the psa xv15 that I have on the way. I'm upgrading from a Dayton 1200 so I think it will be a mind blowing upgrade, considering Tom told me I should expect 112-118 db and at times 121. Not sure what the Dayton 1200 puts out I don't have a meter.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ultra Festival was here in Miami this weekend, you could have brought a meter and found out ;)

Short answer? In my experience, around 110dB spl at your body. I tend to find around 60-70Hz is what gives a more 'clothing blowing' effect and lower more of a 'back and forth' effect. 120dB+, starts to feel literally 'windy' ... ultra low frequencies people say are more felt than heard, but I don't find them more felt than say 60Hz. But, I've found among my friends (who all tend to love to 'feel' the bass) we tend to describe it differently. Someone might chime in with the theory and maybe better information.

If it's a good soundtrack (like a good action movie) I watch movies at 85dB (0dB on preamp) and on a tripod with peak measure at 115dB at listening position. Action sequences are tactile 'feel it' for sure.
That's what I meant by it depends on what type of sound we are talking about. The lower midrange can definitely slam and vibrate the body at very high SPLs, but even at moderate SPLs, 16Hz starts to shake things in the room if the sub is capable of going that low. IMO, "chest slam" is somewhere in the 80Hz range, like what you'd get at a rock concert. At about 22Hz I feel things start to have more vibration than audibility. I can still hear what appears to be sound at 20Hz, but at 18 it is just things vibrating :)

ahblaza

ahblaza

Thank you all for the info, guess I'm just trying to get an idea what I'm going to expect from the psa xv15 that I have on the way. I'm upgrading from a Dayton 1200 so I think it will be a mind blowing upgrade, considering Tom told me I should expect 112-118 db and at times 121. Not sure what the Dayton 1200 puts out I don't have a meter.
Hey Smoke, those are very realistic numbers to expect from the XV15, I had a pair of them in my 2800 cf LR and did achieve those results with a single 15, you may want to pick up a copy (CD) of Bass Mekanic-Quad Maximus, this CD will let you know what the XV15 is capable of, really heavy bass material (songs) along with sine sweeps, pink noise and 10Hz to 100 Hz test signals, if you pick up analog SPL meter (highly reco'd) you can measure the dBs at your listening position for the FR listed. I think the XV15 is really going to make you smile, I don't know how Tom and Jim can offer such high quality products for the asking price, 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, made in the USA and CS before and after the sale is exemplary. For me the PSA subs are lacking nothing in performance, well you will soon find out, congrats, and no I don't work for PSA. At least pick up a SPL meter so you can get the maximum clean output in the locations you decide on.
Amazon.com: Quad Maximus: Bass Mekanik: Music I think you can download a lot of this CD.
These are getting harder to find, the analog meters.
Amazon.com: RadioShack 7-range Analog Display Sound Level Meter: MP3 Players & Accessories

Good luck my friend and let us know what's up.
Cheers Jeff

Bass in the teens for me is like the sound concrete makes when it cracks and splits, pure adrenalin rush:D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm just trying to get an idea what I'm going to expect from the psa xv15 that I have on the way.
It is in no uncertain terms a very good sub for the money, and I'd expect you should get some decent tactile feel out of it. As far as how much more you'll feel vs the Sub 1200, it's hard to say since I don't know much about your Dayton's performance capabilities, but one metric worth noting is that a 6dB increase in output amounts to double the pressure. It wouldn't really surprise me if the PSA offered 12dB or more in the 32-20Hz band (that's the difference between the XV-15 and the BIC PL-200 that has been measured).

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

If you've ever been around high voltage power line towers you can hear and feel the buzz, like what John's saying, vibrations are definitely present, I can feel them under my feet on a carpeted concrete floor, a little scary at times.

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Hey Smoke, those are very realistic numbers to expect from the XV15, I had a pair of them in my 2800 cf LR and did achieve those results with a single 15, you may want to pick up a copy (CD) of Bass Mekanic-Quad Maximus, this CD will let you know what the XV15 is capable of, really heavy bass material (songs) along with sine sweeps, pink noise and 10Hz to 100 Hz test signals, if you pick up analog SPL meter (highly reco'd) you can measure the dBs at your listening position for the FR listed. I think the XV15 is really going to make you smile, I don't know how Tom and Jim can offer such high quality products for the asking price, 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, made in the USA and CS before and after the sale is exemplary. For me the PSA subs are lacking nothing in performance, well you will soon find out, congrats, and no I don't work for PSA. At least pick up a SPL meter so you can get the maximum clean output in the locations you decide on.
Amazon.com: Quad Maximus: Bass Mekanik: Music I think you can download a lot of this CD.
These are getting harder to find, the analog meters.
Amazon.com: RadioShack 7-range Analog Display Sound Level Meter: MP3 Players & Accessories

Good luck my friend and let us know what's up.
Cheers Jeff

Bass in the teens for me is like the sound concrete makes when it cracks and splits, pure adrenalin rush:D

Thanks ahblaza! I will order that cd and meter now! Sounds like an amazing sub can't wait to hear it and FEEL IT! I will be sure to let you guys know when I experience it

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
It is in no uncertain terms a very good sub for the money, and I'd expect you should get some decent tactile feel out of it. As far as how much more you'll feel vs the Sub 1200, it's hard to say since I don't know much about your Dayton's performance capabilities, but one metric worth noting is that a 6dB increase in output amounts to double the pressure. It wouldn't really surprise me if the PSA offered 12dB or more in the 32-20Hz band (that's the difference between the XV-15 and the BIC PL-200 that has been measured).

Thanks Steve...I haven't compared the bic or the Dayton but I think they are some where in the same price range. If I experience 4 times the amount of the Dayton I'm going to be a happy man!

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
You should get a meter, they aren't terribly expensive and are really useful. Then buy an inexpensive tripod.

112 to 121 is a huge swing... Nevertheless you have to have some serious mains to reach reference cleanly. What are your main speakers?

Thanks ahblaza! I will order that cd and meter now! Sounds like an amazing sub can't wait to hear it and FEEL IT! I will be sure to let you guys know when I experience it
Also get a tripod! Can buy Manfrotto tripods for a little over 100 bucks, perfect for measuring.

Watch out with the bass mechanic stuff, that has content with no low pass. Those CDs I don't think are the greatest test anyways. Can give you plenty of great bass test records if you want.

That's what I meant by it depends on what type of sound we are talking about. The lower midrange can definitely slam and vibrate the body at very high SPLs, but even at moderate SPLs, 16Hz starts to shake things in the room if the sub is capable of going that low. IMO, "chest slam" is somewhere in the 80Hz range, like what you'd get at a rock concert. At about 22Hz I feel things start to have more vibration than audibility. I can still hear what appears to be sound at 20Hz, but at 18 it is just things vibrating :)
Yeah, chest slam is normally a sharp hit up top with a lower midrange hit and bass and sub bass below that. This separation/layering keeps it sounding clean and sharper too. Bass alone doesn't have much 'punch' like you said.

What was the movie with the great gun shots? Open Range? There was a semi recent movie that had great powerful gunshots.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Town has some solid indoor gunfire in the stadium. Inception and 3:10 to Yuma have some good scenes.

S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
You should get a meter, they aren't terribly expensive and are really useful. Then buy an inexpensive tripod.

112 to 121 is a huge swing... Nevertheless you have to have some serious mains to reach reference cleanly. What are your main speakers?

Also get a tripod! Can buy Manfrotto tripods for a little over 100 bucks, perfect for measuring.

Watch out with the bass mechanic stuff, that has content with no low pass. Those CDs I don't think are the greatest test anyways. Can give you plenty of great bass test records if you want.

Yeah, chest slam is normally a sharp hit up top with a lower midrange hit and bass and sub bass below that. This separation/layering keeps it sounding clean and sharper too. Bass alone doesn't have much 'punch' like you said.

What was the movie with the great gun shots? Open Range? There was a semi recent movie that had great powerful gunshots.

Im using klipsch rf-42 towers a klipsch rc-42 center and jbl venue rears

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
The Town has some solid indoor gunfire in the stadium. Inception and 3:10 to Yuma have some good scenes.
3:10 to Yuma was what I was thinking of! Great gun shots. Will show off if you have serious midrange punch. Shots should feel like they hit your chest.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Don't over do it...:eek:

Vortex cannon

Last edited by a moderator:
S

smoke68_61

Junior Audioholic
Psbfan... That is sweet!!!! I do believe ill just get one of those so I won't ever have to add another sub lol

ahblaza

ahblaza

Smoke, no need to spend lots of $ on a tripod, I don't believe you will be taking any critical measurements requiring a tripod over $100, Walmart and Amazon have some very nice tipods with variable extensions from 10"- 60" or more for around $25, I do reco one though, makes things a lot more convenient and accurate. I got a lot of use out the Bass Mekanic CD, it may not be for you though, you have to be careful. You can download a few tracks from the CD and see what you think before purchasing the CD. This was reco'd to me, I think it is an invaluable tool to have for your entire setup, every aspect of what to listen for and improve upon.
Various Artists - Ultimate Demonstration Disc

Cheers Jeff

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3:10 to Yuma was what I was thinking of! Great gun shots. Will show off if you have serious midrange punch. Shots should feel like they hit your chest.
Yeah, that one also has an uncompressed PCM audio track so it has SUPER clean audio.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis