Subwoofer question/problem.

N

Nanaea

Audioholic Intern
Hi all, i'll start off with my problem, I'm running a Velodyne Impact 12 with a Yamaha vsx-921 and after I turn off the A/V the sub remains on and every 10~15 minutes it sort of does a popping sound at rather low volume, it's actually quite hard to hear it unless there's no noise in the room. I also notice the sub does this sound if the A/V is just on and not reproducing anything, also every 10~15 minutes.

Is there a problem with my system? And how do I get it to turn off after i power off the A/V?

My current subwoofer is hooked up with a 5 meter cable and if i were to add another sub (with a spliter) i'd need a 20 meter cable for it, the question is should i have both subs on a 20 meter cable or is the extra distance insignificant?

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
First thing to do is eliminate variables.

Turn off receiver and sub. Disconnect the subwoofer cable at the sub. Turn sub back on with nothing connected to it(except AC of course). Does the odd noise continue? If so 100% chance it is subwoofer.

Tom V.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
First thing to do is eliminate variables.

Turn off receiver and sub. Disconnect the subwoofer cable at the sub. Turn sub back on with nothing connected to it(except AC of course). Does the odd noise continue? If so 100% chance it is subwoofer.

Tom V.
If there's no noise doing this, try unplugging the sub cable from the receiver and plugging it back into the subwoofer to see if the cable is picking up the noise.

N

Nanaea

Audioholic Intern
I will try that, thanks, also i'd like to underline that the noise if like a drum hitting and only happens once every 10~15 minutes. BTW isn't the sub suppose to turn off if its not plugged in to the A/V ? because if the light turns red (meaning its off) there is no noise.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The "auto on" feature of most subs will turn the sub off after a period of no signal. Just unplugging it from the receiver will NOT turn it off until that condition has been met. Do what Tom said (disconnect it from the receiver) and if the noise does not occur after 10-15 minutes, then it is your receiver. If it still does it while it is not connected then the sub has the problem.

Last edited:
N

Nanaea

Audioholic Intern
Okay I've done the tests and it doesn't seem to be the sub! It seems that while connected to the A/V (doesn't matter if it's on or off or even reproducing something) and by upping the volume of the sub to max i can hear a buzz and when i disconnect the cable from the sub the buzz disappears however if i connect it back to the sub and disconnect it from the A/V that buzz even gets louder! Is it the cable or A/V ? Unfortunately i don't have any other cable to test it at the moment. Could it be because of the simplicity of the cable i'm using (5 meter long simple with no sort of protection, ex. ferrite bead)? Could this also be the reason why my sub doesn't power down?

Thank you for all your help so far :) !!

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
It could be the cable, you don't want a ferrite bead, but a good shielded cable. It is very possible this is the reason the sub doesn't shut off.

N

Nanaea

Audioholic Intern
Well thanks again, I'll give that a shot and let you guys know how it went!

N

Nanaea

Audioholic Intern
Got a brand new cable that is shielded and the buzz really went down a lot but its still there at max volume on the sub, also now the sub turns off after I turn the A/V off (at least that is working!), so is it really the cable??

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis