New to PC gaming - advice wanted

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Well, not new but the last time I played non-casual games, I was running DOS. This weekend I ordered a 17" Alienware laptop for gaming. I have a few question and would welcome any general advice about gaming on the PC. I'm mostly interested in RPGs but may try a few shooters. On the Xbox, I've enjoyed the Elder Scrolls Games, the Mass Effect games and Deus Ex Human Revolution especially. I also liked the last two Saints Row and Rainbow 6 Vegas games.

1. Do I need a mouse or is a trackpad adequate? If I need a mouse, what should I look for?

2. Are there any especially good places to buy games? I tried Googling a few titles and didn't see any exceptional deals.

3. Any other advice for a n00b?

Jim

T

Travis T

Enthusiast
I'd definitely want a mouse for gaming. I'd also look into an xbox controller(the wired ones can be conneted via usb). Steam has really great PC game sales, that's my preference on the digital distribution of games.

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I looked at gaming mice. It seems everybody has a favorite. And for every favorite, somebody says it sucks. I bought a Deathadder Black to start with.

I'm hoping to get my computer Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. To start with, I bought all three Deus Ex games. Will probably get Skyrim next.

Jim

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I looked at gaming mice. It seems everybody has a favorite. And for every favorite, somebody says it sucks. I bought a Deathadder Black to start with.

I'm hoping to get my computer Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. To start with, I bought all three Deus Ex games. Will probably get Skyrim next.

Jim
Enjoy your new PC.
Coincidentally, I just started Deus Ex - Human Revolution today.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Skyrim is by far the best rpg to come out in recent years, I enjoyed the original, the Dawnguard and playing the newest DLC - Hearthfire now

Yes, you definitely will want a mouse for pc rpg and might even an external keyboard..

Congrats on new toy and next time not going to hurt to ask the community on such large purchase ;-)

Deus Ex - Human Revolution - is another good Rpg/shooter

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I've played all the Deus Ex games and Skyrim on consoles. Getting used to PC controls will be an adjustment but I guess it's less limited than a controller.

I think I read somewhere that the first Deus Ex was a lot better on PC than PS2. I'm looking forward to playing that first.

Jim

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Sign up with steam. I bough Skyrim through there because it was on sale for 50% off retail, they have daily sales on games.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Steam is the only way I buy games these days if I can help it. It's awesome. I build my own PC's and my current rig is still plenty powerful for modern games even though I built it in 2010 but that is mainly because game developers aren't really pushing the hardware anymore. don't play a lot of games these days, mainly shooters like Call of Duty and some strategy like Age of Empires and I'm looking forward to the new Sim City even though it requires EA's awful Origin platform. Seriously... put it on Steam!

I use a Belkin N52te game controller but that doesn't seem to be made anymore. The Logitech G13 looks pretty similar. I like the ergonomics of the controller over using a standard keyboard.

I love my Logitech G500 mouse. the switchable scroll wheel lets me choose between click and super smooth scrolling and the software allows the setup of profiles that automatically change DPI and button layouts for different programs/games.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Getting the right mouse really comes down to your personal preference. Everyone's hands are different. Gaming mouse or not, you will run into PLENTY of super expensive mice (mouses?) that you will just hate.
What you want to look for is something with the right weight for you that is dead smooth. Build quality should be really important, and a place mice fail is right where the teflon pads are glued to the mouse. When those start to get loose your aim will suffer.

Also, if you are looking for some of the best PC multiplayer ever for FPS, check out call of duty 4. It is simply a different beast than console. It's the best one on PC imo.
Also check out Battlefield Bad Company 2. Battlefield 3 was like Bad Company 2 for noobs.
And definitely get steam. You will find great deals on lots of indie games. Games that you will almost never find on the playstation store. Get:
-Amnesia - The Dark Descent
-Super Meat Boy
-MineCraft <-you must get this one
-Deus Ex (first one)

And never play FPS on PC with an xbox controller. You will get destroyed.'

Also, keep in mind that for most games you are going to have to do some serious graphics tweaks to get the best performance possible. There are usually configs that will suit your rig on the internet. You can just download them and apply them, easily.
For all FPS games, check out Bashandslash.com

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
game developers aren't really pushing the hardware anymore.
There are always exceptions to this rule aka Crysys 3 - I have i5-2500k and a Radeon 7870 and if I set Crysis3 to max settings at 1680x1050 - I get to enjoy a slide show

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
It's not nearly as stressful as the original Crysis. I'm running a Core i7 860 and Radeon 5870 and the Crysis 3 beta runs great with nearly everything maxed out at 1080p. The original game still looks better too. The difference is that the original was PC exclusive and since they started cross development on consoles the PC version has been an obvious port. The menus aren't even mouse friendly.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't seen a point in going to PC honestly. They seem to make everything for consoles now and then port them to PC later. Don't get me wrong I used to PC game hardcore, but I'm not sure a game has come out on PC that made me wish I had one recently. Maybe I'm too old fashioned though.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Well, not new but the last time I played non-casual games, I was running DOS. This weekend I ordered a 17" Alienware laptop for gaming. I have a few question and would welcome any general advice about gaming on the PC. I'm mostly interested in RPGs but may try a few shooters. On the Xbox, I've enjoyed the Elder Scrolls Games, the Mass Effect games and Deus Ex Human Revolution especially. I also liked the last two Saints Row and Rainbow 6 Vegas games.

1. Do I need a mouse or is a trackpad adequate? If I need a mouse, what should I look for?

2. Are there any especially good places to buy games? I tried Googling a few titles and didn't see any exceptional deals.

3. Any other advice for a n00b? Jim
1. I definitely would go the mouse route vs trackpad, its just not good for PC gamming in my opinion
- I use the Logitech G700 Mouse, has a few extra buttons you can program and can be either wire or wireless and has a good weight to it.
- Go to a tigerdirect, frys, or best buy and check out the mouse selections there and find out which one feels best in your hand. If your coming from a gamepad, it will be learning curve, but I will take mouse/keyboard combo vs gamepad any day of the week (Be warned that PC games don't auto target, unless you select it in the options like console games, so get used to that as well)
2. RPGs are fun, and since you have come out of your cave, I would also suggest looking at MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) Like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Rift. If you like playing multiplayer its the way to go.
- If you are a fan of old school PC RPGS, there is a great website GOG.com that has a ton of older PC RPGS
- STEAM is a digital download site that often has specials on all types of games, i.e. Borderlands 2 was 9.99 at one point
3. Don't worry about being a gaming newb, unless you are playing some MMO's lol..and my suggestions are StarCraft II, WoW, Crysis on PC is much better than the consoles IMO.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis