Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Our cordless phones are dying. It's getting harder and harder for the person on the other end to understand what we are saying. When I call home, my wife's voice sounds distorted and cuts out at times. Does anyone have experienece in this field? I'm looking at the Pany KX-TG7645M 5-set right now.
Not much, but my grandparents just got a Uniden DS2997 unit. They're about to start using this home base thing from AT&T so they'll use our spare minutes from the family plan to make their home phone calls. I ordered them 2 of the extra handsets on amazon last night at 9pm and they were delivered at 10am this morning using the free shipping option.. this one is supposed to be for the hard of hearing though so you might look elsewhere.

We've always had good luck with Ubiden handsets. We bought a newer one (back when we had a home phone) and we were able to walk into Target, Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, etc and find the matching extra handsets. Really convenient at the time..

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
What's a cordless phone? You mean those things from 1990 that requires a landline?
it does sound archaic but we still have a land line because of our son. In case of emergency anyone can call for help. I was going to get rid of it last year but it makes my wife feel better.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Tried a new recipe for a turkey meatloaf for supper. Jury's still out on that one. It's definitely got a blander taste than a ground beef meatloaf. Not sure what I can add to it to enhance the flavour.

Now that's boring.:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Tried a new recipe for a turkey meatloaf for supper. Jury's still out on that one. It's definitely got a blander taste than a ground beef meatloaf. Not sure what I can add to it to enhance the flavour.

Beef......................

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Our cordless phones are dying. It's getting harder and harder for the person on the other end to understand what we are saying. When I call home, my wife's voice sounds distorted and cuts out at times. Does anyone have experienece in this field? I'm looking at the Pany KX-TG7645M 5-set right now.
You sure it's not your end cutting out, just curious?

I use the entry level from this lineup, 4742 series, and so far so good for me. I can't remember other brands I've gone through, some have batteries that go kaput pretty quickly, I think GE was one of them. With mine, the flexibility in ringer settings for main console and/or with handsets is not as good as I was hoping, but I cannot remember why right now.

What is probably nice about getting multiple handsets like that is that you can use a different handset when a battery dies (I can't imagine you guys really need all 5 in a home, simultaneously). I only have a double set. So far my battery keeps high capacity even after a long conversation, but I've only had it for maybe half a year.

I like that I can store up to 50 junk-phone numbers, which throws up a busy signal as soon as it reads the incoming number. There was one cleaning (?) company that had so many numbers, I finally answered the damn thing, and I should have earlier because as soon as I told them not interested, I never saw them call again.

I need a landline, but even if I didn't need it, I'd still keep it for how little they can be had for. I just don't trust my cell connection enough when making important calls, especially for longer periods of time, or for when I'm talking to some rep where there is no possibility for a direct call back number, stuff like that. It's also nice to have just in case I ever lose my cell (never happened yet), or maybe in some other dire apocalyptic situation where all the cell lines are saturated, but the landline might work. Probably not, but who knows. Anytime I dial an 800 type of number I always use the landline pretty much; it's free, the words are transmitted more quickly than with cell it appears to me, no cutouts, no "I'm sorry my cell phone blows chunks, can you repeat yourself?".

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

I pretty much never cook turkey myself, so take all of the following with some salt, pun intended, har har. I haven't heard of someone brining turkey before grinding it, but I wonder how well that would work. I'm a big fan of brining different cuts of pork. Brining helps bring water into the meat, and additionally the denaturing of proteins by the salt lets their coils trap more water. ALSO, this water delivery system helps bring in seasonings right into the meat! There is yet another advantage, because of the greater amount of moisture now in the meat, it is easier to cook, more forgiving as it's now a lot harder to dry out the meat.

It doesn't have to be done for very long depending on the cuts, particularly smaller ones (not a whole turkey for example), I do one dissolved in cider vinegar for only 2 hours for a pork tenderloin recipe I do, and frankly it probably doesn't even need to be that long.

I also never grind meats, or buy ground meat (did buy some ground elk once in the last year), but if I got into that stuff, I would want to grind my own for sure. I saw this video at Amazon originally when picking up Cooks Illustrated Science of Good Cooking, but I'll grab it at YT to embed. There is probably more relevance with beef for all I know, but I know it's generally superior to do it yourself with any meat. If you fast forward to about 1:50, he drops a 10lb dutch oven from half a ft above. The store bought almost retains its shape exactly, whereas the home ground splatters to twice the diameter.

^ That's a PITA method I guess. Otherwise, what seasonings are you putting in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't been sitting in front of the computer much since grad school ended, especially since tapatalk was added. However, tonight I had to make a little update to the Philharmonic website and as I was sitting here doing it I decided to fire up the computer system since it had been a few months since I had even really turned it on. Man, I forgot just how good these EMP E-41B's are. Looking back, I shouldn't have hesitated and I should have ordered 2 or 3 pair for the future. Oh well I suppose.

Now carry on with your with your meat discussion. Personally I like to beat my meat. Not pound it or grind it, but beat it. I've been told it makes the flavor and juices just right.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Packing up right now to leave for Arizona early tomorrow to visit some friends there. Will be plenty of firearm related activities that hopefully include large caliber and fully auto entertainment. We were hoping to take in the SHOT show too, but probably not. Looking forward to hanging out with friends more anyway. Will be back next week. Someone check in on ImcLoud while I am gone.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
thinking about buying a bed pan... not to use, but as a conversation starter. you know. keep apple juice in it or half melted o'henry bars in it and just reach in and grab a little snack when company comes over.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I pretty much never cook turkey myself, so take all of the following with some salt, pun intended, har har. I haven't heard of someone brining turkey before grinding it, but I wonder how well that would work. I'm a big fan of brining different cuts of pork. Brining helps bring water into the meat, and additionally the denaturing of proteins by the salt lets their coils trap more water. ALSO, this water delivery system helps bring in seasonings right into the meat! There is yet another advantage, because of the greater amount of moisture now in the meat, it is easier to cook, more forgiving as it's now a lot harder to dry out the meat.

It doesn't have to be done for very long depending on the cuts, particularly smaller ones (not a whole turkey for example), I do one dissolved in cider vinegar for only 2 hours for a pork tenderloin recipe I do, and frankly it probably doesn't even need to be that long.

I also never grind meats, or buy ground meat (did buy some ground elk once in the last year), but if I got into that stuff, I would want to grind my own for sure. I saw this video at Amazon originally when picking up Cooks Illustrated Science of Good Cooking, but I'll grab it at YT to embed. There is probably more relevance with beef for all I know, but I know it's generally superior to do it yourself with any meat. If you fast forward to about 1:50, he drops a 10lb dutch oven from half a ft above. The store bought almost retains its shape exactly, whereas the home ground splatters to twice the diameter.

^ That's a PITA method I guess. Otherwise, what seasonings are you putting in there?

I don't know how brining it first would go either. The thing about meatloaf, is that preparation is relatively simple and it's convenient for a weekday supper. If I'm going to start brining and grinding it, I may as well not bother. I got the recipe from a low fat cookbook, just to try and expand on my healthier option repertoire.

I read your posts about brining meat and I've tried your suggestion of salting well in advance of grilling, which I've found to improve the moistness and tenderness of the meat. :)

As for the turkey meatloaf seasonings, there's grilled onion, chopped apples (to add moisture, I guess), marjoram, parsley, garlic, sage, black pepper and salt (just 1/2 tsp). I figured that all that stuff would be sufficient to give the loaf some flavour. But, it just didn't meet expectations. I don't know if it's just a psychological thing - expecting a meatloaf to taste a certain way and when it doesn't, it seems something is lacking.:confused: I have to be conservative with adding salt to food, because my wife has hereditary hypertension. She's not overweight and she exercises, but she still has to be mindful of it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi

When I cook ground turkey, I don't add any seasonings. :) Niki and I then get our own plate of it, and I'll add some salt to mine.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Extra Boring…</SPAN></SPAN>

So I actually did the math on how much the 2% FICA increase was going to affect our household’s income…it doesn’t sound like much but it’s quite a bit of a disposable income…or rather it makes up a good part of what I could get away with spending on toys under the radar ;) </SPAN></SPAN>

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Extra Boring…

So I actually did the math on how much the 2% FICA increase was going to affect our household’s income…it doesn’t sound like much but it’s quite a bit of a disposable income…or rather it makes up a good part of what I could get away with spending on toys under the radar ;)
When things come up, that affect my income-magically; my deductions and my work mileage go way up to overcompensate...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Just had a terrible morning. Hoping the day improves, but doubt it will.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Extra Boring…

So I actually did the math on how much the 2% FICA increase was going to affect our household’s income…it doesn’t sound like much but it’s quite a bit of a disposable income…or rather it makes up a good part of what I could get away with spending on toys under the radar ;)

Yeah it's a a couple meals a month.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis