Pink Floyd "Wish you were Here" SACD

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I finally got around to ordering this last week and received it today. I was interested in knowing if any of you have picked this up yet? If you have any opinions you'd like to share they would be appreciated. After I give it a few more spins ill be glad to leave some feedback myself.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I have the immersion set of WYWH. It contains a Blu-ray copy of what I presume to be the same surround mix.
It adds a new experience to the album.
I'm interested in your opinion.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have it in my wish list, but haven't gotten around to ordering it. I almost pulled the trigger on it the other day when the price dropped a few bucks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, please post feedback!

I have the newer remastered 180g vinyl WYWH and it sounds great. I also have 2 older copies from different pressings, but I retired those to the "collection" portion of my vinyl and only play the new one now.

That opening guitar on the WYWH track is nothing short of amazing, one of my all-time favs

I also have the SACD for DSOM and it is awesome for sure.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Well, I can say without a doubt "Wish You Were Here" is worth every penny. I find it to be a very clean and powerful recording. I am amazed how good a remastered recording from 37 years ago can sound. I prefer this disc to DSOTM due to the fact that I felt the surround speakers were less gimmicky. Not saying DSOTM is bad by any means, I found it to be more entertaining than WYWH. For me the surround mix on WYWH is less obvious for the most part. Seamlessly bringing the listener into the music rather than showing them how cool surround music can be. While DSOTM has these moments as well, I prefer the surround experience on Wish You Were Here. If you haven't picked this one up yet it should be moved to the top of your to buy list.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got it yesterday and only had a brief change to listen to some tracks last night, but I'd have to agree on this mix. I prefer DSOTM as an album, but the mix on this one is more enveloping. Instead of placing things all over the room like DSOTM does at times (Time, Money), the music just seems to come from everywhere on this one and I like that. It sounds great too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I listened to it twice in its entirety over the weekend. EXCELLENT disc.

spyder152

spyder152

Audioholic Intern
I downloaded a digital copy, sounds great, but was wondering how many gigs the album is to see if I have the real deal or a shrunken down version, mine is 2.16 gb. Sounds awesome though, really fills the room.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Chances are very good you aren't downloading the SACD because I am not sure of too many pieces of software out there that can rip SACD. Plus, I would expect it to be fairly massive in size. It may be possible that's what you have, but it also depends on what format it was converted to as to what you ended up with quality wise.

Last edited:
spyder152

spyder152

Audioholic Intern
It says 24bit 88.2kHz 5.1 SACD Lossless surround 6ch FLAC, if that helps

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, that sounds like that's it then :) 2.16GB seems almost small for it, but it is FLAC so I suppose that is not out of the realm of the size it would end up.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I'm not a fan of SACD :p

24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

This might be a cool resource:

DR Database
Well, I enjoyed the Multi-Channel mix of DSOTM and WYWH quite a bit. Just so happens both discs in a surround sound format are only available on SACD. I think the surround mixes for both of these discs really bring the listener into the music. I'm quite sure we were discussing the surround effect of the recordings, not how superior SACD is.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I enjoyed the Multi-Channel mix of DSOTM and WYWH quite a bit. Just so happens both discs in a surround sound format are only available on SACD. I think the surround mixes for both of these discs really bring the listener into the music. I'm quite sure we were discussing the surround effect of the recordings, not how superior SACD is.

Still though the remastered CD version of WYWH dosen't look to shabby if you look at DR database...since I don't own a SACD player I might just buy the CD....:)

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=pink+floyd&search_album=

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis