BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That article, while enjoyable, is completely grandstanding with the title.

The final point - that 3D is readily available and no longer a major talking point is certainly the reality of the situation. It would be like advertising "HDTV" as the exciting feature. It just isn't exciting to buy a HDTV anymore. You are buying a TV? OF COURSE IT IS HD!!! You are buying a TV? About half the time (or more) it will be 3D... of course. So, it isn't exciting. It's not Tickle Me Elmo awesome. Instead, it is UHDTV or OLED (keep dreaming) or whatever else they come up with that is really cool and we may actually see in the next 5 years at an affordable price.

Yet, the newest products are ALL incorporating 3D from the start, and they are including the 3D decoding on the cheap chipsets these days. The new BenQ projector? Yep! 3D included for under $1,100. How awesome is that? A 120" movie theater in your home for just over a grand. Hey look, it does 3D as well. Yep, pretty nifty.

Nifty - not amazing, not awesome, not 'first to market'... Just nifty.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Part of the problem, not unlike SACD/DVD-A, is that consumers aren't willing to spend more for their entertainment...at home. Sure, they will pay to see 3D in the theater, but for whatever reason, nobody wants to buy and wear glasses at home. There's the additional cost of the 3D media in most cases too, just like SACD/DVD-A So while most people would probably enjoy it and likely many DO already have a 3D capable TV and even the cheapest BD players now are all 3D, the other small details will still keep it from being relevant. It is more of a buzzword. I am impressed by the 3D movies I've been buying recently, but it still isn't enough "awesome" to get me to buy them by default.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't think I'm the only one but I hate wearing the 3D glasses even at the theater. The PQ always stinks and they jack the ticket prices up. Surprised the popcorn and drink don't experience a surcharge when you walk up to the concession counter with the glasses in hand.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think I'm the only one but I hate wearing the 3D glasses even at the theater. The PQ always stinks and they jack the ticket prices up. Surprised the popcorn and drink don't experience a surcharge when you walk up to the concession counter with the glasses in hand.
Active glasses at home with a brighter display tend to work a lot better. The glasses in the theater are all passive in my experience and they don't work as well. Jackign the ticket prices up is mainly what they were after...

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I sell 3D TVs like hotcakes. Originally it was hard to sell due to the increased price of the TV and $150+ per pair of glasses. Additionally content was sparse so that didn't help matters much. Now, LG and others sell passive 3D TVs with several pairs of glasses included and the price difference is typically around $100. I also believe all Samsung 3D TVs include at least a couple pairs of glasses as well.
I don't believe the problem with 3D is whats available today as much as how its delivered to the consumer via the sales person. Unfortunately for the customer this usually means a trip to Best Buy or Walmart.
Like J_Garcia I have become more and more impressed with recent releases in 3D. Much like HD before, it has only improved with time.
Just my opinion. :)

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
3D has maybe gotten better, but unless your screen takes up your field of vision... I don't think something expanding over your table top is that immersive lol. Alice is going to knock over the flowers!!! haha.

To me a bigger screen is more immersive. Even the recent 3D releases have been better, but, I never say 'wow, what an improvement.' It's not like when we all watched golf for a year when HD came along. ;)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
Active glasses at home with a brighter display tend to work a lot better. The glasses in the theater are all passive in my experience and they don't work as well.
while i have not seen a 3D H/T. i am thinking just this ^ . and when my PJ goes belly up. i will for sure go 3D.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis