My first SACD player

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Picked up a used Marantz DV8400 that is in like new condition on ebay for $150 after shipping :). My wife got me Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms and Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon for christmas. WOW do SACDs ever sound amazing :eek::D!

I'm not a huge jazz fan, but I think having 1 or 2 good jazz compilations on SACD would be nice for listening to; any recommendations there?

Aside from that, I think I definitely want Dire Straits Communique but I can't seem to find it; and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Any other suggestions? I'm into lots of different music.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats!

I think that the Depeche Mode - Violator SACD is excellent.

You can find the Dire Straits - Communique SACD at Acoustic Sounds for $60. I ordered several discs from them back in 2009 when I got my player, and everything went smoothly and showed up in great condition.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, Jazz at the Pawnshop is an excellent SACD, but it isn't inexpensive. At least for the price, it is 2 discs and they are pretty much the best recording I've heard.

For Violator, most people said the DTS version was better than the SACD. I have the DTS and it is quite good.

Godsmack - The Other Side (acoustic).

I just got the Pretenders II SACD for Xmas and haven't listened to it yet. Will let you know how that one is.

Another useful thread

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/musical-goodness/80614-great-place-find-dvda-audio-discs.html

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats on the player and enjoy. I have a Oppo 980 I bought back in Oct and can't wait to set it up, which will be soon.:D As you can see from the thread j_garcia linked I bought a bunch of DTS and SACD. Be sure to post what you got there.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
Well, Jazz at the Pawnshop is an excellent SACD, but it isn't inexpensive. At least for the price, it is 2 discs and they are pretty much the best recording I've heard.

For Violator, most people said the DTS version was better than the SACD. I have the DTS and it is quite good.

Godsmack - The Other Side (acoustic).

I just got the Pretenders II SACD for Xmas and haven't listened to it yet. Will let you know how that one is.

Another useful thread

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/musical-goodness/80614-great-place-find-dvda-audio-discs.html
Thanks for the link and the Pretenders suggestion! Would you say its a toss up between DVD-A and SACD? What's the diff and which sounds better; or does the "which sounds better" question depend on the recording?

Not sure if it makes a diff or not, but I listen in 2 channel on my music only system; not in 5.1 or greater.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
One of her earlier albums. I really like this one.
Amazon.com: Come Away With Me: Norah Jones: Music

I thought this was a pretty interesting sampler.
Amazon.com: The Absolute Sound: SACD Sampler [Hybrid SACD]: Music

I love movies so this one was a no brainer for me.
Amazon.com: Great Film Fantasies (Hybrid SACD]: John [Film Composer] Williams, Howard Shore, Erich Kunzel, Enya, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, Heather MacPhail: Music

Love this movie and Mozart music.
Amazon.com: Amadeus [Original Soundtrack Recording] [Hybrid SACD]: Music

Got this as a freebie when I bought my Oppo and I ended up really liking it.
Amazon.com: Plays Ennio Morricone (Hybr) (Snys): Yo-Yo Ma: Music

This is only a CD, but I think the sound is amazing and that your CD player will really sing with this lowly CD in there :D
Amazon.com: Goat Rodeo Sessions (CD/DVD Deluxe Edition): Music

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the link and the Pretenders suggestion! Would you say its a toss up between DVD-A and SACD? What's the diff and which sounds better; or does the "which sounds better" question depend on the recording?
In most cases it does come down to the recording/mastering. I've owned the SACD and DVD-A versions of some discs and usually if one is good, the other usually will be too, though I could hear differences on a few of them because there are different processes/software they use to create each. Three Doors Down Away From the Sun was actually better on DVD-A. In terms of the formats these days, if cost is a factor to you, just get the one that goes for less. In many cases, some are only on DVD-A (like Porcupine Tree) or SACD, and others may be in both formats but you may only be able to find one or the other now.

Not sure if it makes a diff or not, but I listen in 2 channel on my music only system; not in 5.1 or greater.
I'd check the info for the discs on something like www.SA-CD.net to determine the audio tracks available because not all of them have 2ch material (I would say discs without 2ch tracks are rare though), while some are 2ch only.

Some more of my favorite discs are Patricia Barber Cafe Blue and Companion Both 2ch only. Note the price of Cafe Blue now too...YIKES (as of this post it is listed as $377 new, $249 used).

I listened to the Pretenders II disc last night and the sound is quite excellent. I didn't realize it was a Mobile Fidelity disc.

Last edited:
macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Cafe Blue is available in hdcd gold for about 30.00 and has stunningly good sq for a lot less $$ than the sacd version.
Cheers, Mac

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Cafe Blue is available in hdcd gold for about 30.00 and has stunningly good sq for a lot less $$ than the sacd version.
Cheers, Mac
Even the CD is excellent. It is a Mo-Fi master, so regardless of version, this one should be picked up :) I bought the SACDs when they were $30... The SACDs are only getting more expensive because they are out of print, plus that is Amazon pricing which has nothing to do with anything, so YMMV. You could probably find them for a more reasonable price somewhere else.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
I'd check the info for the discs on something like SA-CD.net - Recent Additions to determine the audio tracks available because not all of them have 2ch material (I would say discs without 2ch tracks are rare though), while some are 2ch only.
Thanks for the warning! I was under the impression that my Marantz would play all of them, regardless of how it was formatted. I only assumed that because I had to set it up in the menu for 2 channel only operation.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the warning! I was under the impression that my Marantz would play all of them, regardless of how it was formatted. I only assumed that because I had to set it up in the menu for 2 channel only operation.
The player will play all of them, however if there is no 2ch track, you will get something that might sound funky - basically the other channels will be missing. I've had that before where I left the receiver on CD instead of 7.1 input and only got 2 of the 6 channels and was wondering where the vocals went...but that is via analog, since they are actually separate tracks on the disc. Yes, you will want the player set to default to 2ch SACD.

If you are connected HDMI, regardless of DSD or PCM, I am guessing you can have it downmixed to 2ch.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Pink Floyd has there Immersion sets out (The Wall, DSOM, WYWH), but there DVD audio and a bit pricey.Immersion
Rush has a few DVD audio disc out also.Rush
I also have a couple Nine Inch Nails DVD audio disc that are pretty cool to listen to.Downward spiral

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Downward Spiral is on SACD (which is what you listed, not the DVD-A). It was offered on Dual Disc as well, with the CD tracks on one side and the DVD-A tracks on the other, but I don't think you can get that one anymore. I had it and it cracked, so I exchanged it for the SACD and the SACD is the one I'd recommend anyway since it include the bonus tracks in stereo SACD. Those dual discs weren't a good idea anyway, but I still have a few.

With Teeth was also offered on Dual Disc but not SACD http://www.amazon.com/With-Teeth-Nine-Inch-Nails/dp/B0008ISM40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356638837&sr=8-1&keywords=with+teeth+dual+disc

ss2nv

ss2nv

Audioholic Intern
All good info here. Looking to buy an SACD player myself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis