Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 Surround Sound Processor Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The obvious question is what you need in a processor. If you are looking for automatic room correction with tons of user control with a focus on high-quality audio, the Emotiva UMC-200 will be for you. But if you need legacy video inputs, you're going to want to look elsewhere. With a $699 list price but a $599 street price (since it is sold direct, we doubt the $699 price will ever be seen), the price is certainly right. Multizone support and HDMI overlay OSD makes the UMC-200 not only competitive with other budget processors, but some with vastly greater price tags.

Discuss "Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 Surround Sound Processor Preview" here. Read the article.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
small correction

For legacy gear, Emotvia has included 7.1 channel analogue audio inputs. There is a USB input on the back but it only accepts the Emotiva Bluetooth dongle (a trade-off there, but one that would have certainly raised the price). There is one 12 volt trigger input and two outputs as well as a single IR input and output. Not included is any sort of analogue input or output. This means the UMC-200 supports only HDMI, a factor ruling this product out for those that still have gear with analogue connections
Imo it would make more sense to change it to this:
"Not included is any sort of analogue VIDEO input or output."
" a factor ruling this product out for those that still have gear with analogue video connections"

jinjuku

jinjuku

"Emotiva has included eleven user-programmable, fully parametric, equalizers per channel"

What CPU are they running that this thing can run 88 PEQ's? Sheesh. Only one HDMI out kinda sucks.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
From the Emo website, Twin Cirrus, 32-bit dual-core floating-point DSP’s.

From the circuit board, the chips used are CS497024
The CS4970xx Family are single-chip, 32-bit audio DSPs designed to meet the demanding processing tasks associated with high-definition audio standards of next-generation DVD systems from Blu-ray®. The CS4970xx decodes up to six surround-sound audio algorithms, including Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS Digital Surround, DTS-HD Master, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Express any of which may be featured within high-definition DVD disc media.

With its 32-bit, dual-core structure, the CS4970xx generates true parallel processing power of 1.8 giga operations per second (300 million instructions per second). Multiple audio formats also present myriad clock frequency challenges, to which the CS4970xx adeptly manages via an advanced phase-lock-loop (PLL) that generates a system clock source.
The CS4970xx also offers such post-processing algorithms as Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, MPEG-2 AAC LC 5.1 Channel, SRS Circle Surround II, Dolby Headphone, Dolby Virtual Speaker, SRS TruSurround XT and THX® Ultra2, which are built into the IC’s on-chip ROM.

The CS4970xx also provides support for HDMI 1.4a, the emerging digital audio and video interconnect standard that is used to send digital audio and video signals among home theater equipment, such as A/V receivers, DVD players and flat-panel televisions.
and CS495314.

Designed as an ideal silicon solution for audio/video receivers and DVD receivers, the CS495xx audio DSP family integrates two programmable 32-bit DSP cores and a DMA engine with a full set of audio peripherals. Feature-rich designs can be easily developed using the Cirrus Audio Software Library, which includes both certified application programs and a modular programming environment for easy customization. The framework includes certified state-of-the-art audio decoders, virtualizers, surround simulators and audio-enhancement algorithms.

The CS495xx, which features Cirrus Logic’s award-winning Intelligent Room Calibration Software for optimization of in-room acoustics, is designed to reduce system costs and development time while providing features and flexibility for competitive system-level solutions. Difficult processing tasks that incorporate Dolby Digital Surround EX, AAC multichannel, DTS-ES 96/24 and THX Ultra2 Cinema can now be accomplished without the expense of external logic or memory. Additionally, the CS49500 family meets the needs of extensive processing power with twin DSP cores and input/output intensive designs with support for up to 10 input and 16 output channels.

The CS495xx is an excellent Cirrus Logic Audio DSP IC solution for next-generation digital home entertainment products such as audio/video receivers and DVD receivers.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If Emotiva can pull off, w/o major snafu's, release this then this thing is a winner on paper. For $600 it would be a slam dunk.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
YES! I've been anxiously checking their site for this one since I am due for a new pre. I may just forgo the 105 for now and get this.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
So much for me selling my UMC to finance the XMC I'm wanting. :(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I talked to them about the UMC before and it lacks a few features I want that the UMC200 has unfortunately. That doesn't mean you won't be able to sell it, just not to me :( The display intermittently goes out on my Marantz, so it needs to be replaced unfortunately.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The UMC-200 looks like a great unit and better than Outlaw's 975 IMO. My only complaint is they removed Dolby Volume. I really need a good low-level listening mode similar to Dolby Volume Modeler and Audyssey Dynamic EQ so I'm stuck waiting for the XMC-1 with TacT.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I ordered one, it was around $400 with my discount card so even with the sale I saved a couple hundred... Time will tell if its any good :)

T

Time_Stand_Stil

Junior Audioholic
I'm wondering if this unit will offer a DIRECT mode, bypassing all processing for especially analogue devices or analogue connection of a CD player etc?

If it does offer such, boy oh boy it could make a nice addition to a quality A/V set up with appropriate amplifier choices. I may have to budget for one as a near future upgrade to my A/V set up.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
So much for me selling my UMC to finance the XMC I'm wanting. :(
Have you had to undate firmware to cure switching issues ofor your UMC-1? I wonder about this new UMC for the same reasons.. I wanted a UMC-1 and the matching 200X5 amp but with SOOO many owners complaining about switching issues. I passed and hoped by now they had finally fixed the issues on the UMC-1. I need analog (RCA) inputs so the new UMC is no go for me.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If Emotiva can pull off, w/o major snafu's, release this then this thing is a winner on paper. For $600 it would be a slam dunk.
that's for sure. I had two of their UMC's and sent them both back. Quality control at times can be a issue.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I never had any issues with my umc1, I think a while back when they first came out they had some issues, but now they work well..

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Have you had to undate firmware to cure switching issues ofor your UMC-1? I wonder about this new UMC for the same reasons.. I wanted a UMC-1 and the matching 200X5 amp but with SOOO many owners complaining about switching issues. I passed and hoped by now they had finally fixed the issues on the UMC-1. I need analog (RCA) inputs so the new UMC is no go for me.
What switching issues are you referring to? The only problem I still have with my UMC is the occasional audio drop, (waiting a bit or re-selecting the input fixes this).

If you're still interested I'll be looking to get about $300 for it when the XMC comes out.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
XMC looks good but, I hate to spend that much even with the upgrade cert. its a lot..

I only hook a ps3, ipod dock, and cable box to it, then I run my multi room system of zone 2, so the umc200 is perfect for me... And with my upgrade its only $400, they sent me an email saying I will get it by 12/5 so next week Ill know if it works..

I have no problems with my UMC, Im actually going to do some changing around when the new one gets here..
I am moving the umc 1 to my guest parlors system with my xpa5 where that will power a pair of evo10 bookshelfs and evo center, with the other 2 channels wired into zone 2 and powering my jade5's for music. Then I will use the sw300 subs in both systems somehow....

And for my main parlors system I will move my xpa2 and xpa3 in place of the xpa5... I can hear my electric bill going up..

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
they sent me an email saying I will get it by 12/5 so next week Ill know if it works..
Did you get the UMC-200? Now that it is in the $2500 system, I'm very curious as to your hands-on take.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I ordered mine today. Unfortunately next shipment isn't until next Mon. Xmas eve.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I ordered mine today. Unfortunately next shipment isn't until next Mon. Xmas eve.
I'm curious to hear your impressions (you too ImcLoud). I'm starting to look at separate amplifiers, but unfortunately my current receiver has a little design flaw: it features pre-outs, but no main zone 12V trigger nor a switched outlet to plug an adapter into. As I'm not inclined to leave a power amp running idle 24/7 wasting electricity, and well...I'm lazy, I may look to replace the whole spiel.

Also curious to see if Emo is going to release a XPA-500. I don't necessarily need something as powerful (and large/heavy) as the XPA-5, but I don't foresee the UPA-500 representing a big upgrade from what I've got either.

Fun times!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis