Which Sub is better?

P

prodigydoo

Audiophyte
Hi,

First Post!

I was wondering, considering the price as well, which woofer of these two will sound better when it comes to music, very bass filled music..

Sub 1: WHARFEDALE DIAMOND SW-150
jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home-audio/speakers/wharfedale/150-watt-rms-active-10-inch-subwoofer-sku-29797

Sub 2: Accusound High Definition Series 2
junglejumble.com.au/accusound-hd-series-2-sub.html

If you want to suggest an alternative, anything up to $600 including shipping (if its online) to Perth, Western Australia (zip 6020)

:)

Thanks in advance!

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Good to see another Australian floating about I'd have to say your second option :)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Hi,

First Post!

I was wondering, considering the price as well, which woofer of these two will sound better when it comes to music, very bass filled music..

jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home-audio/speakers/wharfedale/150-watt-rms-active-10-inch-subwoofer-sku-29797

If you want to suggest an alternative, anything up to $600 including shipping (if its online) to Perth, Western Australia (zip 6020)

Thanks in advance!
Hi!

Welcome to Audioholics!

Most definitely the second one. As long as they properly design the cabinet and driver, It could be amazing. That driver is VERY VERY VERY sensitive (almost unbelievably so), so you won't have to pump a lot of watts into that bad boy. This will keep heat WAY down. Thermal compression will be practically nonexistent, voice coil modulation will be kept in check. That could be a very good subwoofer. If anything it will be a very loud one!

The only issue I have is they didn't specify a tolerance on the FR...that not a good sign. If we can find some graphs, that might be one of the best deals ever. :D

I sent them an email with a few questions. I will let you know when they respond. As for an alternative, I will look. :D

Last edited:
P

prodigydoo

Audiophyte
Hi!

Welcome to Audioholics!

Most definitely the second one. As long as they properly design the cabinet and driver, It could be amazing. That driver is VERY VERY VERY sensitive (almost unbelievably so), so you won't have to pump a lot of watts into that bad boy. This will keep heat WAY down. Thermal compression will be practically nonexistent, voice coil modulation will be kept in check. That could be a very good subwoofer. If anything it will be a very loud one!

The only issue I have is they didn't specify a tolerance on the FR...that not a good sign. If we can find some graphs, that might be one of the best deals ever. :D

I sent them an email with a few questions. I will let you know when they respond. As for an alternative, I will look. :D
Thanks so much!

I thought it looked good :) and yes, there is very little about this sub floating around, even on the Accusation website, they have no more than a paragraph about it!

I look forward to seeing what they reply with.

Thanks again

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Thanks so much!
No problem! :D

I thought it looked good :) and yes, there is very little about this sub floating around, even on the Accusation website, they have no more than a paragraph about it!
Have you considered DIY? You could whip up something sweet for $600!

I look forward to seeing what they reply with.
As do I! I'm guessing they're not going to accommodate my request. (I asked for measurements and a pic of the driver.) Most of the time, when something looks too good to be true, it is. A 105db sensitive driver is insane. A competently designed 105db sensitive subwoofer for $600 is unlikely. (I've never seen anything THAT sensitive.) I'm skeptical. :D

P

prodigydoo

Audiophyte
hmm interesting indeed.
I haven't really considered diy.
If I did, do you think it would turn out sounding better or worse?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
hmm interesting indeed.
I haven't really considered diy.
If I did, do you think it would turn out sounding better or worse?
Better than 95% of the retail offering in your price range. There are some really sweet designs for $600, but shipping is expensive for most subwoofers. Depending on the sub, shipping would push your budget down significantly. A well-braced large subwoofer tends to be pretty heavy! :D

Do you have any size constraints?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
hmm interesting indeed.
To the company's credit, they sent me a few pics and Measurements. Unfortunately, they look very poor. They rate the sub 20-200hz...more like 55-100hz. Better can be obtained for much less...

P

prodigydoo

Audiophyte
To the company's credit, they sent me a few pics and Measurements. Unfortunately, they look very poor. They rate the sub 20-200hz...more like 55-100hz. Better can be obtained for much less...

so do you think the first sub
"Sub 1: WHARFEDALE DIAMOND SW-150"
would be better?

size constraints.. not really, under maybe 80x80x80cm

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
so do you think the first sub
"Sub 1: WHARFEDALE DIAMOND SW-150"
would be better?

size constraints.. not really, under maybe 80x80x80cm
Absolutely. That driver was horrid. Is it the best you can get? I'm not sure. Are there any speaker building stores (online preferably) that are located in Au?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Have you considered DIY? You could whip up something sweet for $600!
Only if you have tools already. The proper tools will cost 600 not to mention the necessary experience to make it look good.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Only if you have tools already. The proper tools will cost 600 not to mention the necessary experience to make it look good.
That would be one expensive router...mine cost me a $115-$200 and my woodworking friend assured me my router was more than enough to cut some MDF!

His budget can more than accommodate a premade cabinet + driver + amp. Shipping from PE is the only reason I haven't modeled him something sweet!

P

prodigydoo

Audiophyte
Absolutely. That driver was horrid. Is it the best you can get? I'm not sure. Are there any speaker building stores (online preferably) that are located in Au?
Yes that is the best i can get, i was thinking of maybe stretching to this
avaustralia.com.au/products/KEF-C4-8%22-Powered-Subwoofer-%28Each%29.html
Whats your opinion on that sub?

By 'speaker building stores' do you mean a store that actually builds it for you or a store that supplies parts for the build?

If its the parts then yes

I dont know how much an amp/box/cabling will cost so i dont know how much room I would have for a sub..

Some aussie places you can get just the sub speaker are

focalaustralia.com.au/product-category/subwoofers/

and

alpine.com.au/showProduct.php?pid=11

Thanks again :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes that is the best i can get, i was thinking of maybe stretching to this
avaustralia.com.au/products/KEF-C4-8%22-Powered-Subwoofer-%28Each%29.html
Whats your opinion on that sub?
If this is mainly for music, and if you are going retail, and if you
are spending that type of money > then I would aim for the >>
NHT B10 sub
NHT B10D 10" Active Subwoofer (Each) - AV Australia Online

This is NHT's specs >
Frequency Response: -3dB from 29Hz - 130Hz, -6dB @ 27Hz, -10dB @ 25Hz

Distortion: 1% above 48Hz 1W equivalent

Peak output @1M: - 117dB @58Hz, 112dB @40Hz, 109dB @30Hz

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That would be one expensive router...mine cost me a $115-$200 and my woodworking friend assured me my router was more than enough to cut some MDF!

His budget can more than accommodate a premade cabinet + driver + amp. Shipping from PE is the only reason I haven't modeled him something sweet!
A good circular saw costs 100. 150 for a good router. Then there is paint(20), glue(5), drill(50), router bits(50), saw blades(100), clamps(50 at least) Not to mention learning curve and materials. I suggest using plywood since it's lighter, stiffer and more durable than MDF. The more plys the better, but since it's sub you can get away with 5 ply if you have too. I also recommend an Emerson straight edge and 8 corner clamps. The straight edge is self clamping with a low profile and the corner clamps make gluing much simpler.

Doing woodwork is not easy. It's easy to hurt yourself doing it too.

I do build my own speakers and subs and love doing it. But if it's not something you would enjoy then just buy a pre-made sub. If you love woodworking then building a sub can be a lot of fun. I suggest you build a shelf first to get used to your tools before taking on a sub. Shelves have a lot more room for error than a subwoofer.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
A good circular saw costs 100. 150 for a good router. Then there is paint(20), glue(5), drill(50), router bits(50), saw blades(100), clamps(50 at least)
You don't need a saw blade to build a sub box. :O It would be very helpful though. That said, point taken.

I do build my own speakers and subs and love doing it. But if it's not something you would enjoy then just buy a pre-made sub.
A sub box is not that complicated (unless it's TL). That said, I think the OP should just buy a pre-made cab (if one can be had for relatively cheap such as DIYsoundgroup.com) and throw a sub in with some fill. Easy as pie. :D

With THAT said, going retail might be better for the OP as shipping would be a fortune from any of the stores I know, which would completely destroy the entire point of going DIY. :D

P

prodigydoo

Audiophyte
If this is mainly for music, and if you are going retail, and if you
are spending that type of money > then I would aim for the >>
NHT B10 sub
NHT B10D 10" Active Subwoofer (Each) - AV Australia Online

This is NHT's specs >
Frequency Response: -3dB from 29Hz - 130Hz, -6dB @ 27Hz, -10dB @ 25Hz

Distortion: 1% above 48Hz 1W equivalent

Peak output @1M: - 117dB @58Hz, 112dB @40Hz, 109dB @30Hz
So in your opinion, is the NHT better performing for music than the Wharfedale

also considering the Wharfedale is $200 less.

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
Hi,

First Post!

Thanks in advance!
For Music No sub, most give overblown unnatural bass,OK for bass freaks get Floor Standing TLS speakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis