Just Another New Speakers Thread

M

mhamer

Enthusiast
I am looking for a bookshelf system that is wife friendly, with a budget of $1,500.00. I have read all related threads going back 1 year. I also looked at every speaker link attached to them. It would take forever to type out everything I looked at and, I'm still at a loss.

I currently have Atlantic Technology 171's for the front and center channels, they are a bit worse from wear and need to be replaced. The rear speakers are M&K K4 tri-pole's, rounding it out with a M&K V75 sub. I'm not sure if the rear and sub should be replaced or not, they seem okay. This is currently driven by a Marantz NR-1403 (not going to be replaced). All the speakers are 12 years old.

The system is placed in a 20' x 14' room with a 8-6" ceiling. Imagine splitting the room due to entryways and stuff but still wide open to, 7' x 14'. The TV and mains are on the 7' wall. Due to windows and doors the rears sit on the floor behind the sofa (not ideal but it keeps the wife happy).

The system is used 60% music 40% video in the summer, opposite in the winter.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

D

dseng

Enthusiast
I'll second the Sierra-1 suggestion - great speakers and a good company to deal with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get 3 pairs of the Focal 705V @ $500/pr = $1500 for a 6.1 or 5.1 system (keep 1 speaker in the closet for spare). They come in walnut, Havana, & black finishes.

High-end speakers made in France. ;)

FOCAL CHORUS 705V BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

Disclaimer: there are so many great sound speakers made in China, Mexico, and other countries too. Heck, my Salon2 were made in Mexico. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The Sierras are a great speaker,
the only thing I did notice, but have no real data to support it, is when I was running them full range, they use a lot of power when making bass, I only noticed this because when they reproduced any bass notes the lights on my xpa2 shot higher than I ever seen them go so I kept the volume the same and plugged one of my 40 towers into one side and kept the sierra on the other, and sure enough for some reason the sierras made the amp lights go higher which makes no sense? {so I figured maybe this was because it was stereo and they arent identical signals so I used a y and gave both channels the same signal, still offset to the sierra, so I swapped sides, and the sierra still lit more lights on the opposite side, I don't know what caused that... But I did run them crossed at 100hz and they lit the identical amount of lights as the towers... Weird...

but anyway, that is useless, the seirras sound good, I would definetly look into them, and sales never hurt, plus if you buy now, for a year, you can trade up with ascend and get full value for your sierras!!!!

M

mhamer

Enthusiast
One thing I did notice while checking out the Sierras is that they want a minimum of 45 watts. My receiver maxes at 50. I think that might be a little too close.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
One thing I did notice while checking out the Sierras is that they want a minimum of 45 watts. My receiver maxes at 50. I think that might be a little too close.
Thats is easy enough to deal with your 1403 has fr preouts so add an amp :D

your budget is $1500 The Ascends will be around $1300 stretch to $1600 and get UPA-200 | 125W x 2 | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifi....

That will change your entire music feel for sure... And when playing movies your avr's amp sections will be 100% for your center and surrounds, I think it would open everything rite up...

If you dont want to stretch the budget add an APA150 instead they only cost $120 rite now... Will also be effective...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Focal is a good option, to upgrade your 5.0 sound ..............
Now their is a good deal here - 2 color options, and $100 off
a pair here >
Dedicated Audio - Search Results
Cool. Even better. Get 3 prs of WENGE finish for $1200 (6 speakers). Nice.

I believe Music Direct will price match. So if the OP wants black, Music Direct may price match at $400/pr.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis