3db's/family get away.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
You would think the sub location is really strange but putting the sub at the listener position and doing the bass crawl put the sub exactly in that position behind the listener area. I wonder when I upgrade the sub if the position will mov to the more conventional location of being up front between the front speaker and wall.
If you upgrade the sub you'll just feel the bass no matter of its location. I used nearfield placment with my pb10 for a little more tacticle feel and umph with movies...with my current sub the distance or location is not a big concern you'll just need to find where it sounds best and judging by the pictures you have a lot of options...unlike in my situation...:)

Btw...nice layout & how big is your room?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you upgrade the sub you'll just feel the bass no matter of its location. I used nearfield placment with my pb10 for a little more tacticle feel and umph with movies...with my current sub the distance or location is not a big concern you'll just need to find where it sounds best and judging by the pictures you have a lot of options...unlike in my situation...:)

Btw...nice layout & how big is your room?

From the couch to the back wall where the TV is located is about 13' and the side walls are about 10' across. From back of the couch to the music/video library is another 12' and about 20' across from there.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Changed out the 25 watt bulbs for the 20 Watt bulbs and I think it makes a bigg difference on the affect of the back light. I was looking for 15 or 10 watt bulbs but the lowest they go in this format is 20 Watts

First picture is the 25 watt bulbs, the 2nd picture is with the 20 watt bulbs

Last edited:
Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Changed out the 25 watt bulbs for the 20 Watt bulbs and I think it makes a bigg difference on the affect of the back light. I was looking for 15 or 10 watt bulbs but the lowest they go in this format is 20 Watts

First picture is the 25 watt bulbs, the 2nd picture is with the 20 watt bulbs
Did you notice a diffrents during viewing a film?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you notice a diffrents during viewing a film?
Haven't had the chance to watch a film yet but I did notice that the light was dimmer than when with the previous bulbs. Taking a look at the picture, I notice a much smaller area of glare on the carpet with the lower wattage bulbs.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Watched a couple of old James Bond films over the weekend and I find it easier to watch with the lower wattage bulbs.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Looking good. I take it the new sub is working out for you?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking good. I take it the new sub is working out for you?
Very much so. I'm very happy with this unit. I did write a review for it in the Rythmic LV12-R thread in the Subwoofers section but I had to delete all my pics for that review to post the updates. :(

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dang, isn't it tough dealing with the turntable down low like that? Collects more dust too?
It's not that bad actually. I do have to get on my hands and knees to work the turntable but I don't mind that. I do remove the shelf above it when using it. I purposely leave that shelf bare for that reason.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Secondary system.

The entertainment unit sits in the corner and is diagonal to the sofa. The little sub (PSB Subsonic 5) as Alex likes to call it is behind the entertainment unit. There is one arm chair to the right of the couch in the 4th picture . Maybe I should move the surround behind it instead of its current location becasue the arm chair is out of the influence of surround speakers.

IMG-20140709-00146.jpg IMG-20140709-00154.jpg IMG-20140106-00117.jpg IMG-20140924-00164.jpg IMG-20140924-00165.jpg IMG-20140924-00167.jpgIMG-20140924-00168.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats 3db looks FANTASTIC.:D Love the old school Technics and the nice looking bookshelves. So how does it sound?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats 3db looks FANTASTIC.:D Love the old school Technics and the nice looking bookshelves. So how does it sound?
Thank you. Old school for sure, no HDMI to be found anywhere. :eek: I'm happy with it. It sounds good to me. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I had an hour to myself so I pushed the console away from the corner, slipped behind it with some cable ties, my new coax to HDMI adapter and a coax audio cable and hooked it all together. I also took some time tyring to clean up the wiring/cabling .... with limited sucess. I pushed it all back, turned on the system, lsipped a DVD in and pushed the digital button that enables teh Technics to accept bit stream and voila, I'm back in the digital age. Now that I had success with that, I decided to calibrate the 5.1 system with "DVD Essentials" attempting to set SPL for the center, left/right surrounds and subwoofer. The only level adjustment I can do on the Technics. The first thing the disc pointed out was that I had reversed left/right from speakers. After swapping the connections and restesting, I sat down for about 30 minutes
and watched a Harry Potter movie. It sounds more than good enough to be a backup system.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I had some quiet time in the house last night so I thought I would recalibrate the secondary system again. I'm glad I did because I forget to configure the distance parameters on the old Technics receivers (pre room correction facilities). I have it all dialed in now that I don't have more than a 2db difference in the DVD Esssentials full frequency sweep around the room. One thing that struck me is how well I was able to integrate the PSB Alpha mains with sub. It sounded like a pair of full range towers. The level of integration became apparent when I turned off the DSP on the Technics. The Alphas lacked bass from about 80 to 70 Hz down.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I like way you used the goose neck brackets to suspend the speakers up on the suspended ceiling.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Updated pics of the family room after having painted it and with the Yammy installed.

IMG_20150414_082129.jpg IMG_20150414_082115.jpg IMG_20150414_080932.jpg IMG_20150414_082948.jpg IMG_20150414_081005.jpg IMG_20150414_082032.jpg IMG_20150414_082040.jpg IMG_20150414_083022.jpg IMG_20150414_080958.jpg IMG_20150414_080926.jpg IMG_20150414_082108.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis