Old TV - No HDMI port for new receiver

S

SandyHall

Audiophyte
I have a 10 year old 65" Mitsubishi Projection TV (WS-65909) which works just fine for me (I am not looking to replace it.) But my AV receiver died and I need to replace that. I bought a nice $400 Yamaha receiver (RX-V4373) based on the recommendation of the salesperson at Fry's but I think I need to take it back because the TV doesn't have an HDMI input and I won't be able to use the features that he sold me on. Is there a receiver out there that will work with my old TV?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I'm assuming that you meant a Yamaha RX-V473, based on the $400 price. If that's correct, then that receiver can connect to your TV using component and/or composite video. It can't pass video on to the TV from anything that you have connected via HDMI, though.

What features were you sold on? I'm wondering if you'll still be able to use them without the HDMI video connection. That said, there certainly might be a receiver in that price range that fits your needs better.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Analog connections are going away next year, so your TV is going to be stranded because no new gear you buy will be able to send a signal to it easily. While you may not want to upgrade the TV, it is likely in your future anyway.

As Adam said, that receiver should work for you as-is.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Name your sources and we should able to assist you with plan to connect them
j_garcia is right, analogue connections are dying breed (unfortunately to to hollywood greed)

S

SandyHall

Audiophyte
The salesman talked about HDMI as a way to deliver the audio and video over a single cable which co-ordinates the two better. And Discrete audio, which I understood as a much better sound delivery? I also liked the energy efficiency aspect of the Yahama.

However, I am not a discriminating enough user to need the highest experience available, just a serviceable receiver that works with my speakers and allows me to use one device to control all of the other devices. The $400 price was a lot in my mind, but then I am probably out of touch with reality when it comes to electronics.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The salesman told you pretty much the correct thing, however if he didn't ask you if your TV had HDMI, he was either not fully doing his job or he figured you would be back for a TV when you found out yours doesn't have it.

S

SandyHall

Audiophyte
Does "name your sources" mean you want me to tell you what I have connected to the old receiver? If so, then please don't laugh at my old stuff!

I have a Sony CD/DVD player, a Time Warner cable box and my son's XBox 360. I also have a Tivo input through a wireless connection to the Tivo in the other room. I have a JVC VCR that is also connected, but don't use anymore (!!) The 5 surround speakers are Infinity and there's a subwoofer also (Polk Audio.)

Is this helpful?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The salesman talked about HDMI as a way to deliver the audio and video over a single cable which co-ordinates the two better. And Discrete audio, which I understood as a much better sound delivery? I also liked the energy efficiency aspect of the Yahama.

However, I am not a discriminating enough user to need the highest experience available, just a serviceable receiver that works with my speakers and allows me to use one device to control all of the other devices. The $400 price was a lot in my mind, but then I am probably out of touch with reality when it comes to electronics.
I don't know what avr you had before, but you still can use "Discrete" audio :rolleyes: Such a vague term... :)

Obviously you can't use hdmi and it's single cable audio/video features for simple reason - None of receivers accept hdmi signal and allow analog out.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
All that said: Do you plan on moving to bluray at some point? That will likely force you to HDMI (content protection reasons: there are BD players with analog outs, but not all bluray disks allow it), What about HD cable channels? They may enforce HDMI-only there.

Obviously: If your TV doesn't support HDMI, than it doesn't, and you will need to keep an analog-only path until your next TV purchase. But I would consider the move to HDMI "inevitable" (sadface), and suggest that be something kept in mind on purchases.

S

SandyHall

Audiophyte
It's not that I'm opposed to moving to newer technology (Blu-Ray) or TV, it's just that the one I have right now works just fine and I can't see replacing it until I need to. So if I can buy a current technology receiver and use it on my (obviously) outdated TV, then I am fine with that. Which is why I wondered if there's a cheaper alternative to the $400 Yamiha that can meet my current needs?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I may have been unclear. My apologies.

I was not suggesting that you change TV, and I was not suggesting that you switch to HDMI now.

I was suggesting that, though you are not switching to HDMI now, the inclusion of HDMI compatibility might be a good criteria on new purchases (such as a receiver) wherever price permits.

That way, when you do move to HDMI, there is less to replace.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Virtually any current receiver will "meet your needs" as far as sound goes.

As for video, unless you tell me otherwise, I'll assume you have component (red/blue/green) inputs. I don't think any current receiver will up-convert to component, only HDMI.

Thanks to current regulations, all current source hardware is limited to 480p, which is what a DVD is capable of. So, the best resolution your TV can do with current sources is 480p, not HD. HD kicks in at 720.

So, you can feed your audio to your receiver and get the best you can get sound-wise. At worst, you can feed your source video to your TV and get 480p and do your selection there.

If you can find a receiver that outputs component video, you'll get your 480p picture and video switching. You may have to search the spec sheets carefully to fine one that does this. Don't expect HD quality, that's limited by the component video path, but it certainly beats (yellow plug) composite video.

Component video is, unfortunately, dead and HDMI rules. I don't like that. There's no technical reason it can't do HD (it used to), but the law-makers have deemed it so.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It's not that I'm opposed to moving to newer technology (Blu-Ray) or TV, it's just that the one I have right now works just fine and I can't see replacing it until I need to. So if I can buy a current technology receiver and use it on my (obviously) outdated TV, then I am fine with that. Which is why I wondered if there's a cheaper alternative to the $400 Yamiha that can meet my current needs?
Welcome:)

If Adam has your receiver correct, then it can use analog video (component and composite). Obviously your old receiver worked with the TV with analog video sources from your other components plugged into the receiver.

So, your new receiver should work as well with what you have AND, in the future when you upgrade the TV, it will work with the HDMI as well if you go to a BluRay player.
That receiver will work with what you have.

S

SandyHall

Audiophyte
Okay, if I keep my new Yamaha receiver (RX-V473 is correct) it will work with the component connections and then when I finally break down and buy a new TV, then the new receiver will work with the new TV which will have HDMI. Thanks! I appreciate the help on the forum, I am not tech-savvy at all so things have to kept simple!!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Analog connections are going away next year, so your TV is going to be stranded because no new gear you buy will be able to send a signal to it easily. While you may not want to upgrade the TV, it is likely in your future anyway.

As Adam said, that receiver should work for you as-is.
Worth saying that component video is not going away and by federal mandate HD component video output for Dish, DirecTV, and cable systems is currently required to be available to consumers by law and is not going to be hit by the digital sunset.

Blu-ray Disc is the ONLY consumer format which truly is under mandatory shut down due to the analog sunset. With a TV of this age, it may not make a ton of difference, but moving to a Blu-ray platform with component is still feasible for years to come if people copy (ahem!) their BDs to a hard drive and play them back from a component video equipped media player.

Just important to have component video outputs on the sources, so he can still get years of use from what he has.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis