Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sooooo, what's it like with 2 Ultras ... please inform us "sub envious" people!

Steve
Hi, Steve. I got the SB13 moved into place this weekend, starting running test tones, and two things happened: (1) I realized that I need to modify the PEQ on the SB13 because, while each sub response was pretty flat, together they gave me a large dip where I had the PEQ set on both, and (2) I was reminded about why I don't have my PC13 in the opposite corner...I was setting up resonance in my overhead vent grate and in something in the kitchen - so, I need to fix those first. I just didn't get back to it - busy week at work.

If I get it all set up before I need to send it back, I'll definitely let you know what I think - thanks for asking!

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I hope you get the time to set it up right, that'll should be way cool on the very low freq effects. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the dune buggy scene from your review, see if the two of them together add something more.

Steve

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've moved the SB13 to the back wall, diagonally across the room from my PC13. It didn't work too well for me on the front wall due to size and it was inducing some resonance. I'm about to run test tones and see how flat the response is with the new set up. I probably have about a week to decide if I'm going to buy this instead of send it back, so I better get to it. I'm not sure if I want it to sound better or not... :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I wish that I could see sound waves. With both subs running, I'm getting a null at one listening position, but better performance at a second position. Hmmm, where did I put that "easy" button?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmmm, where did I put that "easy" button?
The easy button is to order another SB to have a matched pair and to put the PC back in the box to store away in that time vault you call a garage. If it helps you spend the ching, pretend that you're buying it for someone else.

Let me know if you need any more help. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You definitely know my spending habits. :)

The SB and PC are pretty evenly matched, so I think that they'll pair well together if I can figure this stuff out. Makes me wish that I had some multi-sub EQ system like SVS used to sell. I know that part of the issue is that the SB is getting a signal from a wireless system, which has some delay in it.

Btw, I just noticed yesterday that the amp plate on the SB has a sticker saying that it was made in China. I didn't realize that before. I have no desire to start a debate about China - I only mention it because SVS partly caught my attention years ago because they were made in the USA (mostly from US and Canadian parts). I thought that the amps were Canadian.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I received and installed my first Subdude yesterday. I got the HD version for the black and theoretically nicer surface finish. I was happy with how it looked and felt. The black fabric on the platform was quite nice, and the foam seemed nice, too. One of the Amazon reviewers mentioned getting two sets of very poorly made Subdude HDs, but mine seemed perfect.

The SB13 sticks out just far enough from my wall that it makes me move my front speaker out more than I want...unless I can elevate the sub and slide the foot of the speaker stand under it. I also wanted to run the wire for the front speaker under the sub for better concealment. I was wondering how to elevate the sub, and then decided to indulge my long-standing desire to buy a Subdude. :)

After getting the Subdude and SB13 in place (pushed back into a corner on carpet...not the easiest thing for me), I noticed that the sub was leaning forward. Oh, right...front-heavy sub...on foam. I should have thought of that. :eek: After trying and failing to adjust the 95-lb sub backwards on the platform (I have mentioned that I'm a wuss, right?), I put in two front supports composed of rubber coasters and stoppers that leveled it out.

I don't know if the Subdude actually makes it sound any better, but I like how it looks. :D

k0rww

k0rww

Audioholic Intern
I'm surprised that you don't have a heating problem with your amp. You have plenty of space above but it's not open in the back.

Richard

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ahh pictures?:rolleyes::)
I knew someone would say that. :D Give me a few minutes...

I'm surprised that you don't have a heating problem with your amp. You have plenty of space above but it's not open in the back.

Richard
Hi, Richard. I think that you're looking at photos of the older setup. My new entertainment center has plenty of open area in the back. The Emotivas don't get hot at all, and the Pioneer is pretty reasonable.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
OK, those where the early models with the silver blocks on the front? I take it you had problems with them, hence the pos lol....
I'm moving this over here to help reduce derailing of the other thread. :)

The RPA-1 has the silver blocks. The IPS-1 looks similar to the current offerings. Yeah, I had some issues...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ahh pictures?:rolleyes::)

Happy? :D

And, yeah, I should have dusted off that speaker stand first :)...but I didn't notice the dust until I was processing the picture. Btw, that reminds me - for every picture/movie that I made for the SB13 review in my living room, I dusted, vacuumed, and raked the carpet. I raked the carpet every time I moved anything. That took a while.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Wait, did I miss it, where do you have the PC13 with the SB up front?

There should be a picture protocol, like every time you move something the require pictures are:

Wide front
Wide from both a L/R position
Rear (if applicable)
and closeups of the changes

:D just so we can nitpick and criticize with greater ease :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, so you left the PC where it was and you've only been moving the SB around or am I just completely confused?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, so you left the PC where it was and you've only been moving the SB around or am I just completely confused?
Correct. After I finished my review, I put the PC13 back in the front right corner. After that, I tried the SB13 in the front left corner, left wall middle, rear left corner, and rear right corner. From a performance and aesthetic combination, I settled on the front left corner.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I would like a multisub EQ system, but $500 is a bit more than it's worth to me. I liked the SVS EQ-AS1, but it's more than I'd want to send...and discontinued. Perhaps Audyssey XT32 is in my future. :)

I'm either keeping the SB or getting another PC13.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Something just occurred to me. Have you asked Alex about that behringer ultracurve that he got? Those would be able to EQ dual subs as well, but only really if you weren't looking to upgrade the receiver.

Otherwise, I can vouch for the XT32. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
will they run parallel in your system or will you do some highpassing and lowpassing like i did?
You know, it never occurred to me to run them at different frequencies. You have me intrigued. :) I decided to buy the SB13U because I thought it might help even out the response at my different listening positions. So, my approach so far has been to run them in parallel.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis