Request for pro amp reviews

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Says the guy who admits that the B&W 802D's will only sound AS good as the Phils, if that, and still wants to buy them anyways :p :D

Couldn't resist :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've lost track - is there a consensus (or opinion) on which pro amp(s) we'd like to see tested?
Here are the criteria I would suggest (I don't know enough about the pro amps to suggest a specific model):
1) Represent mainstream pro-amp design/construction.
2) Represent substantial savings over a consumer amp of equal capabilities.
3) Be manufactured by a well established player with a good reputation in the pro-amp market.

If the Crown XLS fits these criteria, it gets recommended pretty often, so it would be a good choice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Says the guy who admits that the B&W 802D's will only sound AS good as the Phils, if that, and still wants to buy them anyways :p :D

Couldn't resist :)
I will never hear the end of it for sure. :eek:

Oh, BTW I'm listening to Phil3 now - Yo-Yo Ma playing Vivaldi concertos.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I've lost track - is there a consensus (or opinion) on which pro amp(s) we'd like to see tested?
Well, I think it would need to be an amp with moderate power (relatively speaking), since the debate is around using one of these in place of a so called HT amp - the ATI/Emotiva/Parasounds of the world - for your mains or surrounds. Something in the 200w - 500w x 2 range would work fine. I think there's less of a debate in using a pro amp for subwoofers, so the massively powered pro amps aren't necessary. ;)

I'd be most interested in seeing one - or both :D - of the following lines tested:
  • Yamaha P series (2500S or 3500S)
  • Crown XLS Drivecore (1500 or 2000)
Those two give a nice mix of class AB (or whatever Yamaha is using with their EEE technology) and class D style amps, plus, I think those ranges probably have the most written about them in this forum (the Behringer EP2500/EP4000 not withstanding) - the Crown XLS recently and the Yamaha a few years ago.

I'd also cast a vote for:
  • Behringer iNuke (3000DSP)
  • Peavey IPR (1600, either with or without the DSP)
  • Lab.Gruppen (FP9000)

Just kidding on the last one... Hey, I can wish for it can't I? :D

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha, probably not, but I'll never argue about how they look :D

Not a bad choice at all

J

jdskycaster

Enthusiast
Have no direct experience comparing pro-amps to consumer but have to say that I would be interested in a review although I prefer measurements combined with DBT's when it comes to amp comparisons.

I participated in several of these comparo's some years ago and it was eye opening to say the least.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I think it would need to be an amp with moderate power (relatively speaking), since the debate is around using one of these in place of a so called HT amp - the ATI/Emotiva/Parasounds of the world - for your mains or surrounds. Something in the 200w - 500w x 2 range would work fine. I think there's less of a debate in using a pro amp for subwoofers, so the massively powered pro amps aren't necessary. ;)

I'd be most interested in seeing one - or both :D - of the following lines tested:
  • Yamaha P series (2500S or 3500S)
  • Crown XLS Drivecore (1500 or 2000)
Those two give a nice mix of class AB (or whatever Yamaha is using with their EEE technology) and class D style amps, plus, I think those ranges probably have the most written about them in this forum (the Behringer EP2500/EP4000 not withstanding) - the Crown XLS recently and the Yamaha a few years ago.

I'd also cast a vote for:
  • Behringer iNuke (3000DSP)
  • Peavey IPR (1600, either with or without the DSP)
  • Lab.Gruppen (FP9000)

Just kidding on the last one... Hey, I can wish for it can't I? :D

Add Crest and Powersoft

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Yamaha PS2500 for one. Crown XLS 1500 Drive Core, Crown I-Tech HD.
How about:

Lab Gruppen -
E:2 - 2x800w @8
C20:8x - 8x250 @ 8
C5:4x - 4x125 @ 8

Crest -
Ci20x8 - 8x200 @8
CM2208 - 8x210 @8

Crown -
D-75A - 2x35w @8
XLS-202 - 2x200w @8
CTs-600 - 2x300w @8

Power Soft -
M14D - 2x360w @8
Q3002 - 4x250w @8

A sampling of each....

Unless you want the big guns brought out.:cool:

Gordon

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the ATI AT3000s have a 34dB gain. But they are still dead silent. Even when I crank the Denon volume to +17.0 (in STOP mode, of course).
Well, my Parasound 1206 and the amps in my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS are both dead-silent on the hiss, even if no input source and cranked to reference levels. These are probably not considered "audiophile", but I would certainly return any amp with audible hiss (assuming that I was 100% confident that it was the amp). Regardless of how (electronically) the hiss gets there, it is unwanted.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, my Parasound 1206 and the amps in my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS are both dead-silent on the hiss, even if no input source and cranked to reference levels. These are probably not considered "audiophile", but I would certainly return any amp with audible hiss (assuming that I was 100% confident that it was the amp). Regardless of how (electronically) the hiss gets there, it is unwanted.
Funny how many people laugh at AVR, even though I never had an AVR with hiss noise or ground hum noise, unlike some pre-pro and amps.

No-Hiss List:
Parasound
ATI (& sister 200wpc & 300wpc amps like Lexicon, ML, JBL, Cary, B&K, Theta, Outlaw)
Rotel
Receivers

Hiss List:
Emotiva (probably Sherbourn)
Classe
McIntosh
Acurus
Crown XLS

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I will say that there was a little hiss out of my outlaw 755 when it was plugged into the wall, but plugged into the APC S15 it completely went away.

S

SpyVSpy

Audiophyte
It worked for someone else with a similar issue on another forum.

Have you actually tried this yourself and it worked, or is this just an idea?

I do have 5 XLR-RCA cables in the closet. But the SNR & gain between balanced and unbalanced is usually insignificant. So I don't see how it would completely remove the hiss. :confused:

But I guess I could try this.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here is a good read from the Editor at Hometheaterequipment.com

Another convert to Pro-audio amps for home use. Like me he preferred the Crown over his Parasound (in his instance a 2250).

Still have never heard from any of the naysayers why this product isn't suitable for home use when it comes to SQ.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Still have never heard from any of the naysayers why this product isn't suitable for home use when it comes to SQ.
I think the naysayers have to much invested in cute and pretty audio amp's to bother with these pro-amps. I think most use the "If it costs a lot it must be the best theory" for their logic.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
I think the naysayers have to much invested in cute and pretty audio amp's to bother with these pro-amps. I think most use the "If it costs a lot it must be the best theory" for their logic.
The new Bose lifestyle system costs $2,500 so it must be good. Maybe if we all got one of those we wouldn't need to worry about the amp issues at hand. :D:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
*If it weighs a lot :p

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis