B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
ADTG has lost his mind...I am working directly with his wife to have him committed. If this works the way I think it's is going to, all his speakers should be at my place in a month.

Whomever has a truck and can pick me up in Texas, drive me to OK and then back to TX can have one pair of his speakers.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Congrats ADTG - next year will be KEF Blades so says crystal ball.:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
ADTG has lost his mind...I am working directly with his wife to have him committed. If this works the way I think it's is going to, all his speakers should be at my place in a month.

Whomever has a truck and can pick me up in Texas, drive me to OK and then back to TX can have one pair of his speakers.
Sounds like a plan!
I don't have a big enough truck, but I know how to rent a UHaul!!:D

BTW, what is his wife like?

j/k, of course, but yeah, I went there!:rolleyes::)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like a plan!

She is obviously very tolerant....what more do you need?:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I know I've said this once too many times, but this is it, guys. The last speakers I'll buy.

And this shooting tragedy in Colorado reaffirms that life is too short. So this is one of the things I want in life. The bucket list. :D

My in-laws spend $15K a year for travel. It's what they want to do in life. So be it. I'd rather spend it on speakers. But no more after this. Enough is enough. Time to move on to something else. Revel, KEF, B&W, Linkwitz, Philharmonic Audio, Funk Audio. Enough is enough. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a plan!

Hahaha.

Understanding? :D

Preoccupied? :D

Well, my shiny red Phil3 are officially in the family room along with the P362. The Phil3 are for music, and the P362 are for karaoke. :D

There is now a vacancy in my HT room. :D

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I think you should go back to wanting 'horns' and get a pair of Funk Audio F8.2 P's before you get the 802 D's.

You already have the FA subs coming so what's another box or two.

F8.2P

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good, now you can stop messing around and go find something high efficiency to try. :D
I think you should go back to wanting 'horns' and get a pair of Funk Audio F8.2 P's before you get the 802 D's.

You already have the FA subs coming so what's another box or two.

F8.2P
Back, Satan, back! Away evil temptations! :eek: :D

The B&W 802D will be my last speakers. After this, I will go back to being boring with no upgrades in sight. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Who are you trying to convince... us or yourself?

What, something like these aren't the least bit tempting? ;) :D
Nope. Not even the slightest. 2 things.

1. I already have 2 direct internet speakers - Orion & Philharmonic. More than enough for me.
2. I despise powered speakers. Forcing the amp on me, instead of letting me pick my own amp. At least the Orion had the sense to have the outboard XO and amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And that's why you need to buy some other speakers first. ;) :D
You guys realize that instead of spending $500 here, $1K here, $2K there, etc, you could have saved up enough money for one ultimate $3.5K speaker?:D

I was going to spend $3K on some high efficiency speakers. But then I thought, $7.5K more buys me a speaker that I've been secretly wanting for 4 years now. :D

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Congrats ADTG! I'm not surprised to hear that the owner didn't let you take them home. He was probably afraid they wouldn't stack up to the others in your house. Probably why he blew me off when we planned to bring the ER18's up to his store.

It was funny how I found his store though. I had a dream one night that I was in one of those old old Service Merchandise stores and saw a pair of 802's. When I woke up, I was determined to hear them for real. When I finally did see them, I was amazed at how nice they looked. They are the inspiration for my next sub build. They'll be tricky for sure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The music content and fidelity is paramount.

I'm listening to Beethoven Piano Concertos now by various star performers including Yo-Yo Ma & Anne-Sophie Mutter on the Phil3 + Velodyne + Denon AVR-990.

Wow. The dynamics is incredible going from soft notes to really loud peaks. Amazing sounds. I feel like I'm sitting in an orchestral hall. Crystal clear dynamic sound.

Will definitely want to play this on the 802D + dual RBH SX-1010N.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats ADTG! I'm not surprised to hear that the owner didn't let you take them home. He was probably afraid they wouldn't stack up to the others in your house. Probably why he blew me off when we planned to bring the ER18's up to his store.

It was funny how I found his store though. I had a dream one night that I was in one of those old old Service Merchandise stores and saw a pair of 802's. When I woke up, I was determined to hear them for real. When I finally did see them, I was amazed at how nice they looked. They are the inspiration for my next sub build. They'll be tricky for sure.
Thanks. When did you go to Audio Dimensions? I was there last year and again last week. Perhaps it's just me, but I thought the sound was different now compared to last year. :eek:

Yeah, I'm confident none of the B&W sound better than Philharmonic, Ultima2, Orion, and KEF Reference. But the cabinet is a piece of art.

Is it possible to even build something that exquisite by mere mortal hands? :D

I mean how would Salk, Funk, or anyone without the machines necessary, bend 20 layers of beech to form the cabinet? Who makes that Marlan head?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=8UzqJJOiVVc&v=8UzqJJOiVVc&gl=US

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
congrats on the new kareoke speakers adtg
Doh! :eek: :D

How............dare.............you! :mad:

No, the P362 (w/ it's 93dB/w/m sensitivity) will keep the title of karaoke speakers. I just spent 2 hours this morning singing karaoke on the P362 + Velodyne SC-600. Wonderful. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
No, the P362 (w/ it's 93dB/w/m sensitivity) will keep the title of karaoke speakers. I just spent 2 hours this morning singing karaoke on the P362 + Velodyne SC-600. Wonderful. :D
It's only a matter of time, man - especially now that the seed has been planted. :p

"Hmmm, if I just swapped these banana plugs...and it wouldn't take but a couple of minutes...and I bet that I'd sound like an angel." :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis