Onkyo, Marantz, or Yamaha

S

sab7896

Audiophyte
I'm new to this and would greatly appreciate some help. I'm looking to buy a new receiver. I will not be using surround sound for the time being but I would like to at least make use of 2 speakers for better stereo tv sound. I'll be using these same speakers (Polk RC80i) for music. I have a 60" Panasonic GT50. Receiver must handle 3D.

Models I'm considering:

Onkyo TX-NR616 or 515
Marantz SR5006 or 6006
Yamaha RX-A720

All of these are more then I currently need but I want a quality receiver and one that will keep me from buying another one 2 years from now. The best value might be the Onkyo... newegg has the 616 for $409 and the 515 for $372.

S

sab7896

Audiophyte
No takers? I'll take another approach... talk me out of buying the Marantz SR5007 ($850). Convince me it's not worth twice as much as the Onkyo TX-NR616.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I would buy the Yamaha, no doubt about it. IMO, they are more reliable, have better power supplies and layout, and the YPAO is not too bad either. Easy to use or have the ability to get into more detailed setup. Once again, just my opinion, but you did ask.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There's nothing wrong with any of those, as long as they have the features/connections that you want (and think that you'll want later on). Onkyo has had some quality issues lately, but I don't know the percentage of purchasers that have problems.

If it were me, I'd buy the least expensive one that has all the features/connections that I want. Okay, maybe that's obvious advice - but here's my point. If you buy the Onkyo for half the price of another one, then it's like giving yourself a free upgrade to another receiver in that price class whenever you want. That's not to say that you'll be buying one anytime soon, but the $800 receiver might be outdated in respect to audio codecs, connections, and room calibration just as quickly as the $400 receiver is. If you're going to spend $800 total, you could get an $800 one now and none later, or get a $400 now and another $400 later on when new features hit that price class.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get Marantz or Yamaha.

I think Onkyo models from 800s & up are more reliable, but I would not touch any models below 800s.

And don't expect any customer support from Onkyo. You are on your own as soon as you buy it.

I kind of like Denon.

And I hate refurbished items - especially my luck on Friday the 13th! :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would buy the Yamaha, no doubt about it. IMO, they are more reliable, have better power supplies and layout, and the YPAO is not too bad either. Easy to use or have the ability to get into more detailed setup. Once again, just my opinion, but you did ask.
In my experience, they are no more or less reliable than the others.

I would get Marantz or Yamaha.

I think Onkyo models from 800s & up are more reliable, but I would not touch any models below 800s.

And don't expect any customer support from Onkyo. You are on your own as soon as you buy it.
I don't have much experience with the current Onkyos, but hadn't had many issues with their older units. As for current quality of Onkyo, there do seem to be quite a few complaints on the forums. Yamahas of late have quite a few features that I like, a few of which many other manufacturers do not, and they've always had good amp sections. However, you will notice I still have two Marantz units at the heart of my systems, and I've owned quite a few of them since trying them out years ago. The main reason? They do what I want and sound great doing it.

S

sab7896

Audiophyte
You make a good point Adam. But I also agree w/ the others... I have read a lot of mixed reveiws on the Onkyo's. Seems like their newer mid-range models have gone down in quality in some folk's opinions. So, maybe I'll stick to Yamaha or Marantz and possibly consider a Denon in place of the Onkyo.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Yeah I gues that is what I was getting at, but didn't say very well. I think that on older Onkyo's there was some heating issue, though I'm sure they have corrected that. It also seems that with Marantz in term of bang for buck they don't seem to have nearly as meany features until you get into the more expensive lines.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz has typically not been known for having the most features, especially on the lower models. They always tend to lag behind in that regard.

Heat is not a good thing, but it doesn't mean things are wrong either. My Marantz PM7200 is sort of a hybrid class A and class AB. In class A mode, it can keep a small room warm and is definitely hot to the touch, and the manual says as much. The Onkyos are AB only, but the fact that they get warm isn't such a big deal unless something is failing, and yes, for a receiver that has so many other functions inside as opposed to my integrated amp which has massive heat sinks, excessive heat WILL result in a shorter lifespan. The Onkyos of the early 2000s did not have heat issues; that was something that showed up in the last few years and has hopefully been addressed.

Last edited:
S

sab7896

Audiophyte
Ok, so to make a general statement, the new Onkyo's have questionable reliability. The Marantz's might lack features for the price. And I haven't heard anything bad about the Yamaha's yet... advantage Yamaha

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can say the Yamaha 1010 has exceptional measurements on HTM in terms of SNR, Crosstalk, THD, power. I was very impressed indeed. The crosstalk measurement was better than any receiver I have ever seen regardless of price.

If the 710 measures as superbly, it's a winner.

I still like Denon because that's what I have. :D

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Ok, so to make a general statement, the new Onkyo's have questionable reliability. The Marantz's might lack features for the price. And I haven't heard anything bad about the Yamaha's yet... advantage Yamaha
The new Yamaha units don't have the orange display .... there, now you have heard something bad about Yamaha ... well, unless you like white.

Steve

P.S. If you are not in a rush to buy, keep an eye out for deals on last years Yamaha models.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
2nd

I 2nd the notion of looking for a last years model. The only addition is Airplay, which Is not that big of a deal (see Sonos.) Also, on the new 720 and 820 there is no upscaling until the 1020 model (well o.k, but only up to 480i.) I loved the 1010, and seems like you may be able to find a great deal. Now i am sounding like ADTG.

S

sab7896

Audiophyte
I'm leaning towards the a710. My understanding is that it will upscale to 1080. Which makes me a little confused why the a720 wouldn't. The 710 is also XM ready where the a720 isn't (something I would use). I'm not too concerned about airplay. I've found several sources selling the 710 for $600 but have yet to find one for less.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm leaning towards the a710. My understanding is that it will upscale to 1080.
That is mostly gadget, not a useful feature. Almost everything in my systems can do it and the worst place to have it done is the AVR IMHO so I never use my AVR's upscale/upconvert feature as if offers nothing but more heat.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is mostly gadget, not a useful feature. Almost everything in my systems can do it and the worst place to have it done is the AVR IMHO so I never use my AVR's upscale/upconvert feature as if offers nothing but more heat.
Yeah, I don't upscale on my AVR either. I let my display do the 1080p upscale.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
FWIW, I vote Yamaha. I've had good experiences with three Yamaha receivers, and love my A2010. The only things I don't like about the 2010 is that it teased me, noob that I am, into thinking I could get 11.1 out of this 9.2 with the amp assigment screen and all of the speaker connections. (There is no pre-amp signal to support the other two channels, regardless of the speaker connections for 11.2). Otherwise, I'm very, very happy with it.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'd go with a Denon or Marantz myself. They're generally reliable and I prefer Audyssey to the others.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Marantz

Marantz -very well built and just contine to work. I still have an old 1060 pre-amp/amp that still works perfect after 35 years. Also have a SR8002 about 3 years old.

A

audiofun

Audiophyte
For me picking a piece of audio equipment is a combination of audio quality & lifespan for bang of buck, not how many features have been packed in to make it "future proof", no such thing. When dealing with companies that focus on reaching more consumers with a feature for everyone, they cut corners in craftsmanship i.e. lifespan and components i.e. audio quality. I'm in the market to buy a receiver as well & I'd rather give a few extra quid to a company who's main focus is audio & build first even if that means losing some cool or neat features. Of the 3 you list I think your 1st intuition is right on, Marantz. In the audio realm, companies who charge more with fewer features need to make the audio & build priority. Those who charge more because their piece has more features... croaks sooner & you'll be buying another piece soon, (probably) more than doubling your initial investment & still not going home to listen to kick arse sound. :(

Make sure it has the features, connections you feel you must have then go for it. You'll have a piece of equipment that sounds great for a long long time. You won't be sorry.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis