Bash 300 or 500 for klipsch rw-12

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was wondering if somebody tried the bash 300 for a replacement amp? How is the fit, and power compared to stock, I just emailed klipsch for a replacement so while I am waiting for a response, I found these..
O Audio - 300W BASH Subwoofer Amplifier
O Audio - 500W BASH Subwoofer Amplifier
I dont know which one is closer to the stock one and I have a non D rw-12 if that makes a difference.. Thanks
Your sub has 340 watt amp. However the cut out for the Bash will be very different to your current cut out.

This will be a very difficult retro fit. It must seal perfectly, with no air leaks.

Your best solution is to get a an external pro amp and leave the current amp where it is, if you don't want to by the Klipsch replacement.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

what external amp would you suggest?
Probably for that sub a Behringer.

Quite honestly those type of cheap subs are not worth a lot of effort and expense. So I would go with the cheapest solution.

spyder152

spyder152

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply, but I'm clueless with beringer, which model are you referring to?

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Your sub is sure to have some custom circuitry within the amp(filtering/limiters and eq). Using an "off the shelf" amp might work ok...but I'd be very careful at first. Without those filters/limiters in place it could be very easy to push the driver past its intended excursion limits. This could damage the driver pretty quickly.

Tom Vodhanel
Power Sound Audio

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the reply, but I'm clueless with beringer, which model are you referring to?
On reflection you will be better off with a Crown Drivecore XLS 1000.

They seem to cost $299 wherever you buy them.

The advantage is that you can bridge the Crown for a four ohm load and the Behringer needs an 8 ohm load bridged.

Also the Crown is a much better amp.

This is the Behringer you would need.

They pretty much go for $250. However you would only be able to use one channel of the Behringer.

The Crown is more than worth the extra $50.

We get more reports of failed sub plate amps, than any other item, by far.

I have come to the conclusion that plate amps are pretty much worthless pieces of junk and to be avoided.

The Crown will allow you to build a really nice passive sub or purchase one.

The is a thread on passive subs, as many members are now disillusioned with sub plate amps.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Tom V has a very good point.

Many sub amps have some sort of contouring built into them, be it some boost or attenuation to some frequencies. Such being the case, it won't sound "the same" with a generic amp. IOW, it ain't just the number of watts.

See what Klipsch has to say before pulling the trigger.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Many sub amps have some sort of contouring built into them, be it some boost or attenuation to some frequencies. Such being the case, it won't sound "the same" with a generic amp. IOW, it ain't just the number of watts.

See what Klipsch has to say before pulling the trigger.
He is safe, as the sub is ported. You can not Eq a ported sub, only sealed ones.

However it might have a high pass filter around 25 Hz, but this is easily provided.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
We may be arguing semantics to some degree("eq" versus "filter") but I can assure you many if not most/nearly all commercial ported subwoofers will have some form of electrical FR compensation besides a HP/subsonic.

Tom V.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

We may be arguing semantics to some degree("eq" versus "filter") but I can assure you many if not most/nearly all commercial ported subwoofers will have some form of electrical FR compensation besides a HP/subsonic.

Tom V.
If that is true, then they are a bigger dose of "fools gold," than I think already.

Trying to Eq ported enclosures really compounds your problems. It just cause massive excess and useless cone excursion and sends distortion through the roof.

Except for the very high end commercial subs are reprehensible affairs.

It seems DIY for subs is darn near mandatory.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
>>>Trying to Eq ported enclosures really compounds your problems. It just cause massive excess and useless cone excursion and sends distortion through the roof<<<

Not at all actually. I'm not speaking of EQing below the tuning point to increase perceived extension.(that sounds like what you are speaking of?). The hp/subsonic filter in a ported design is one important filter but there are almost always several other filters in place. These are often to "curve" the FR to the manufacturers whim. (A "flat" fr rarely just "happens" unless you have no restrictions to box size..:)). An amp customized for a specific subwoofer also is very likely have various "limiters" and "compressors" set specifically for that design to insure the subwoofer( mainly the driver) won't implode if someone cranks up the latest whiz-bang hollywood action flick at 10dB over reference...with the bass 10dB hot...:)

Tom V.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

bbb
>>>Trying to Eq ported enclosures really compounds your problems. It just cause massive excess and useless cone excursion and sends distortion through the roof<<<

Not at all actually. I'm not speaking of EQing below the tuning point to increase perceived extension.(that sounds like what you are speaking of?). The hp/subsonic filter in a ported design is one important filter but there are almost always several other filters in place. These are often to "curve" the FR to the manufacturers whim. (A "flat" fr rarely just "happens" unless you have no restrictions to box size..:)). An amp customized for a specific subwoofer also is very likely have various "limiters" and "compressors" set specifically for that design to insure the subwoofer( mainly the driver) won't implode if someone cranks up the latest whiz-bang hollywood action flick at 10dB over reference...with the bass 10dB hot...:)

Tom V.
I think a limiter would make sense, but at the price these things are turned out, I doubt they have one. Since the receiver crossover is fourth order and crossover is generally in the 60 to 80 Hz range, I doubt an Eq of the top end would add much, and if left out, I doubt you would miss it at those frequencies.

The Op's sub is NLA, and I bet he will have a hard time getting a replacement out of Klipsch. Unfortunately these things are designed with a disposable mentality.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
>>> I think a limiter would make sense, but at the price these things are turned out, I doubt they have one.<<<

They pretty much all do...well maybe not those "12"/1000w models selling for fifty bucks..:)...but anything from a reputable manufacturer almost certainly will. The cost is cheap compared to dealing with a high volume of returns.

>>>Since the receiver crossover is fourth order and crossover is generally in the 60 to 80 Hz range, I doubt an Eq of the top end would add much, and if left out, I doubt you would miss it at those frequencies.<<<

I agree, not much eqing >80hz. However, there is a lot of bandwidth between 80hz and the tuning freq of a modern ported sub(usually in the 18-22hz range). Two whole octaves in fact..:)

>>>The Op's sub is NLA, and I bet he will have a hard time getting a replacement out of Klipsch. Unfortunately these things are designed with a disposable mentality.<<<

You could be right, I'm not sure what klipsch keeps on hand. Many manufacturers will offer a "flat" repair/replace policy though. You send in the amp and for some nominal fee(say $100) they either replace it or repair it.

Tom V.

spyder152

spyder152

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm hoping for a repair on the amp but if they shine me off , I'm just getting all the info I can to decide what to do...

>>> I think a limiter would make sense, but at the price these things are turned out, I doubt they have one.<<<

They pretty much all do...well maybe not those "12"/1000w models selling for fifty bucks..:)...but anything from a reputable manufacturer almost certainly will. The cost is cheap compared to dealing with a high volume of returns.

>>>Since the receiver crossover is fourth order and crossover is generally in the 60 to 80 Hz range, I doubt an Eq of the top end would add much, and if left out, I doubt you would miss it at those frequencies.<<<

I agree, not much eqing >80hz. However, there is a lot of bandwidth between 80hz and the tuning freq of a modern ported sub(usually in the 18-22hz range). Two whole octaves in fact..:)

>>>The Op's sub is NLA, and I bet he will have a hard time getting a replacement out of Klipsch. Unfortunately these things are designed with a disposable mentality.<<<

You could be right, I'm not sure what klipsch keeps on hand. Many manufacturers will offer a "flat" repair/replace policy though. You send in the amp and for some nominal fee(say $100) they either replace it or repair it.

Tom V.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Hi Spyder,

I'm not sure what the amp costs(or the separate highpass/subsonic filter you should consider if the amp doesn't have some adjustment for that built in)...but if you end up in the $300-400 range...I'd consider simply upgrading the entire subwoofer. There's a couple internet direct offerings in the $450-$550 range that would be a noticeable upgrade imo. This way you're not only upgrading, but you are starting with a "clean slate"(not a cobbled together setup) with a full warranty. Of course if you think a "DIY" venture may be in your future...going with that pro "rack" amp now might have future benefits..:)

Tom V.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Spyder,

I'm not sure what the amp costs(or the separate highpass/subsonic filter you should consider if the amp doesn't have some adjustment for that built in)...but if you end up in the $300-400 range...I'd consider simply upgrading the entire subwoofer. There's a couple internet direct offerings in the $450-$550 range that would be a noticeable upgrade imo. This way you're not only upgrading, but you are starting with a "clean slate"(not a cobbled together setup) with a full warranty. Of course if you think a "DIY" venture may be in your future...going with that pro "rack" amp now might have future benefits..:)

Tom V.
I am going to have to agree with that completely. For the price you are looking at, a new sub is likely to be a better choice.

spyder152

spyder152

Audioholic Intern
Well, I got a hold of Klipsch, it's $250 for a new amp with a 1 year warranty, I am on the border, might be time to cut my losses and go with a new amp. Thanks for all the replies..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's pushing it for me. You can get that sub used for less than that (but no warranty) and NEW for $100 more. Klipsch aren't known for their subs, so it is kind of difficult to recommend that path, though it is still likely the least expensive option and I can relate to that.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hi Spyder,

Tom V.
Are you the Tom V from SVS? If so, What happened?

Oh Right.... on topic....

Ahh... Yes! Subwoofers need amps.... and as such... the box will have a hole. That'll do.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis