H

hdmiii

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have 2 RBH 1010sen subwoofers that I use in a 12x20x7.5 dedicated room.
They have served me well but I am getting the upgrade bug. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with these subs that can tell me if a HSU VTF 15 or similar would be a significant upgrade.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi,
They have served me well but I am getting the upgrade bug. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with these subs that can tell me if a HSU VTF 15 or similar would be a significant upgrade.
Before dumping your RBH subs you may want to call RBH and inquire about upgrading to their SE/R versions which employ their new higher excursion drivers and more powerful amps.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi,
A single VTF15h might outperform the RBH subs at certain frequencies, but you will lose the advantages of multiple subs. What do you want to gain specifically? deeper bass? mid bass output? cleaner bass? or just more output overall? If you want deeper bass, I would look at the Hsu VTF3, perhaps two if you want some major output at 16 hz. For punchier mid and upper bass, the Epik Empire. For cleaner bass, Hsu ULS 15 dual drive or two Rythmik F15 subs. For more output overall, look at the Rythmik FV15HP, or maybe two VTF15hs for a very serious boost in output across all frequencies. RBH subs look like good ones, but aren't exactly the best bang for the buck compared to the dedicated internet direct sub manufacturers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have dual RBH SX-1010N passive subs, and I like them a lot. I pair them with my Phil3 speakers. I love the way they sound together. Bass that shakes my walls like an earthquake. Feel that thumping pounding bass in my chest and gut.

Sure, you could get subs that go down to 14Hz and output more SPL (like Rythmik, HSU, SVS, etc). But you will probably not notice much difference on a daily basis.

The grass is always greener on the other side. That's for sure. So we all know how you feel.:D

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Apologies to the OP for going a little off topic. I may have misunderstood what he said, but when I talked to Brian at EMPtek/RBH about upgrading my current sub, he said the bass from the single cone sub would have tighter bass and be better for music, while the dual cone sub would go lower. Much lower.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis