Looking to buy 2.1 system for my living room.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Figured I'd replace the cheapo in TV Speakers and get some real ones.

Picked this out already; all of it comes with free shipping:

Newegg.com - Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair

Newegg.com - Pioneer VSX-522-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver

Was thinking about this for a sub, as with the promo code, only 100$

Newegg.com - Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer Each

Thoughts?

500$ for the entire group; then I could buy some cables(can you tell me what I'd need?) wire off Monoprice for 10$ or less

I'd say good for the price, but I really wanted to find some of those standing speakers honestly, as these will be placed on the floor as I have no place to put them, but if they were the tall, elongated ones, I could. But they cost a pretty penny:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

I'd need to throw into another 150$...yikes.

I was also thinking of a center speaker maybe, cause I really like that for vocals, but I'm not to sure. What do you guys think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290210

Throw that in for 100$?

So like 610$ for the setup...

Thanks.

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
That's a pretty tall order; a receiver, two speakers, a center and sub for $500-$600? You'll either have to find some unbelievable sales, be prepared to go with less then stellar equipment or up the budget just a bit.

One potential option would be to go with that receiver, and then get the Fluance AV Series 3.0 speakers and a BIC F12 sub. It's a little over your original budget, but it should be a system that satisfies your needs.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$250 1612 is the one which comes with full warranty, $210 used/very good - includes only the 30days plus optional 3rd party warranty. Denon warranty is not transferable afaik.

ac4l refub 1712 included full one year warranty
No, Amazon puts that generically on all their Warehouse items.

I've asked both Amazon and Denon about it.

First of all, these are "used, open box", not refurbished!

They will have the same warranty as a new item, even if they are "good" or "very good".

I just talked to Denon on the phone. This is what they said:

"Since these Denon are sold directly by Amazon and are open box items, they will have the full manufacturer warranty".

S

Scumfrog

Junior Audioholic
If you end up with smaller speakers, please consider some good stands. My Paradigmn Titans-a nice option for you by the way-are mounted on Sanus stands filled with kitty litter. Between the speaker bottoms and the stands are strips of tacking compound-Ace Hardware's version of Blu-Tak. They sounded much better! The rigidity of the stands and vibration damping of the tack gave my speakers much better focus and clarity. More detail. On the other hand,by the time you buy the spaeks and stands, you approach the price of comparable towers. The choice is yours. BTW-in addition to Paradigmns, listen to the PSB Alpha series. I bought a pair for my brother in law. Stand mounted, they sound great in his den.
Good listening!
Mike

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Hmm,

What about these?

Pioneer - 5-1/4" 3-Way Floor Speakers (Pair) - Black - SP-FS51-LR

Good price for two. THey have them at my local BestBuy.

Or what about this?

Amazon.com: Sony SSF-7000 Floor-Standing 4-way Speaker with 8" Woofer (Pair): Home Audio & Theater

That Daytron Subwoofer looks pretty good for the price, probably end up with that...

Or get this, in store, with those speakers:

Sony - 10" 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer - SAW2500

Maybe even get the receiver in store?

Denon - 550W 5.1-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black - AVR1312

Eh, oh, that's the same receiver as was linked on the last page...I can get it for 150$ there? Free shipping and UPS Ground, which is 3 days? Yeah, that's worth 100$. P{Robably do that.

Actually looking, BestBuy has a decent selection for this stuff and fair prices for once...how odd. Could pick all of it up Saturday, besides the cables I'd need off Monoprice.

For hooking it up to my PS3 & TV and whatnot.

Thoughts?

600$ would be about my absolutely limit for everything, but I mainly watch alot of TV's, and movies. 50'' Panasonic Plasma, the ST30, calibrated and whatnot...I watch all the highest resolution content in loss format...figured I should get some decent audio to go with it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
NO SONY WOOFER or Pioneer/Sony Speakers. This is on sale and better sub: Amazon.com: Velodyne VX-11: Electronics
I would go with the Boston speakers zieglj01 suggested. Please don't rush into getting anything, take your time and ask questions. Also Don't be afraid to buy from the online stores sugg by the members here they all are legit and money savers. I've bought from most of them without problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
NO SONY WOOFER or Pioneer/Sony Speakers. This is on sale and better sub: Amazon.com: Velodyne VX-11: Electronics
I would go with the Boston speakers zieglj01 suggested. Please don't rush into getting anything, take your time and ask questions. Also Don't be afraid to buy from the online stores sugg by the members here they all are legit and money savers. I've bought from most of them without problems.
Hmm hmm.

Reallly?

My fathers got some old Sony floor standing speakers and they're great. Sony was pretty quality at a time. As for Pioneer, many people told me they are of the highest quality in the audiophile world.

So If I buy the receiver from there for 150$.

If I bought two of those Bostons; I'd be 200$.

So up to 350$.

Center would put it @ 450$.

Say I get the sub you recommended,

That's 610$ or so. For the total package.

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=BOSCS260IIC&extra=a%3A2%3A{i%3A0%3Bs%3A40%3A%2203823345592a403b2f4a37a59384e7ab28f02be1%22%3Bi%3A1%3BN%3B}

x2

Amazon.com: Velodyne VX-11: Electronics

Denon AVR 1312 (Denon AVR1312), Paul's TV - Find the Best Deal on a Home Theater Audio Receiver

Boston Acoustics CS225C Cherry (Ea) Classic Series center channel speaker, In Stock at OneCall.com

+ Some speaker wire and I assume HDMI cables?

Would that be about right?

Only thing I don't like is the color; wish they were all black, so they blended in with the darkness.

Last edited by a moderator:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hmm hmm.

Reallly?

My fathers got some old Sony floor standing speakers and they're great. Sony was pretty quality at a time. As for Pioneer, many people told me they are of the highest quality in the audiophile world.

+ Some speaker wire and I assume HDMI cables?

Would that be about right?

Only thing I don't like is the color; wish they were all black, so they blended in with the darkness.
lol believe me you won't notice them in the dark.:D
I would get 4 or 5 HDMI cables(good to have extras):
For only $2.99 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Black | 28AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables
Wires:
For only $17.71 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 100ft 16AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable | 16AWG Loud Speaker Cables
Sub cable:
For only $3.26 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video) | High Quality RG6 Digital Audio 24K Gold-Plated Cables w/ Fancy Connector

Not sure about the center speaker Z please chime in.

S

Scumfrog

Junior Audioholic
Go and listen to all of them. What do you have to lose? If they sound good to you then they sound good to you! it's your money. Bring some of your favorite music and movies and spend some time listening. Try different combos of sources, speaks and power. After a while you will zone in on what you like. You are buying toys so open the toy box and play! Consider open box/demos and trades. Some nice savings can be had. You don't have to get it all at once. Maybe you start out with power you want and higher quality front speakers. Centers and surrounds can be added. Older speakers can be repurposed in another room. You can also add more power via the pre-out section of your avr. This is a nice feature. Most have it but double check. Another fun thing to do is to listen to your friends gear. You may hear exactly what you want-or exactly what you DON'T want! By all means trust your ears and have some fun!
Good listening,
Mike

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Those pioneer speakers are designed by Andrew Jones. If you google you can find favorable reviews of them. At your price point you would do well to at least take a listen to them. I heard them on the floor at Best Buy (not in a listening room) and I would say they were more neutral than the Klipsch & Polk floor standers they were displayed with. I couldn't judge much more from that environment.

FWIW these reviews are of the larger bookshelf in the same line.
Pioneer SP-BS41-LR Speaker System | Home Theater
Pioneer SP-BS41-LR loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

I haven't heard the newer Boston Acoustic offerings so I can't compare but I've heard a number of models in the past that I thought were good values.

The Sony speakers and subs I've heard I couldn't recommend, I would stay clear of them.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Go and listen to all of them. What do you have to lose? If they sound good to you then they sound good to you! it's your money. Bring some of your favorite music and movies and spend some time listening. Try different combos of sources, speaks and power. After a while you will zone in on what you like. You are buying toys so open the toy box and play! Consider open box/demos and trades. Some nice savings can be had. You don't have to get it all at once. Maybe you start out with power you want and higher quality front speakers. Centers and surrounds can be added. Older speakers can be repurposed in another room. You can also add more power via the pre-out section of your avr. This is a nice feature. Most have it but double check. Another fun thing to do is to listen to your friends gear. You may hear exactly what you want-or exactly what you DON'T want! By all means trust your ears and have some fun!
Good listening,
Mike
Not sure where I'd listen to them.

I mean people say that, but it's not like there are places to do that.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm hmm.
Reallly?
Here we go - I am not a fan of Sony speakers and I would not walk,
but run from their subs.

The Pioneer speakers are good - and better to me than entry level
Polk, Klipsch and JBL > however, I would choose Boston over the
Pioneer speakers. Your Choice and Good Luck.

Last edited:
S

Scumfrog

Junior Audioholic
Find a retailer in your area. Even BB will ,or should, let you audition some gear. BTW I've heard some great things about those Pioneers as well. If a retailer won't give you the time to choose, then don't give them your business. Retailers should never make it hard for you to buy stuff!
Have fun,
Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis