Axiom Audio VP160 Center Channel Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Axiom Audio has added another center channel to round out its comprehensive center lineup. The VP160 (MSRP $570 shipped) is based on the well established W(T/M)W arrangement of drivers which is done to improve off-axis response compared to conventional horizontally mounted MTM designs. We like the direction Axiom Audio is taking with this new center channel. They built the product on a well established design principle to ensure good on and off-axis performance while also designing it to be a tonal match to their M60v3 floorstanding speakers. The VP160 is front ported and includes gel like rounded feet to help decouple it from panel resonances if placed inside an entertainment center. Initial feedback from forum users on the Axiom website and our forums indicate the VP160 is off to a successful start. Many users have made the upgrade from the VP150 claiming MUCH better vocal intelligibility on and off axis.

Discuss "Axiom Audio VP160 Center Channel Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I agree about making a smaller WMTW as well but to replace the VP150. The VP150 doesn't "match" any of their existing lineup anyways. You could even go with a smaller version of a WMTW than what you propose with using their 4" drivers as the midrange and the 5.25" as the woofers. That could possibility mate quite well with the bookshelf models.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Any chance we will see a true review of it or is this as good as it gets when it comes to Axiom stuff just preview type articles? I realize you just posted it but Ian said on his forum that you guys will be working together on some things.

It wouldn't be hard to redo the VP150. Why not just use the VP100 and Axiom add an extra 5.25" woofer to each end?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Any chance we will see a true review of it or is this as good as it gets when it comes to Axiom stuff just preview type articles? I realize you just posted it but Ian said on his forum that you guys will be working together on some things.

It wouldn't be hard to redo the VP150. Why not just use the VP100 and Axiom add an extra 5.25" woofer to each end?
Axiom doesn't like 3rd party measurements in their reviews so I would be very surprised to see any proper measurements from sites that can conduct proper measurements like Audioholics, Soundstage! or Stereophile on any of the V3 product line. Soundstage! reviewed their V3 and even gave them "product of the year" but didn't shoot any of the speakers in the chamber for measurements which is pretty standard for them...weird?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Axiom doesn't like 3rd party measurements in their reviews so I would be very surprised to see any proper measurements from sites that can conduct proper measurements like Audioholics, Soundstage! or Stereophile on any of the V3 product line. Soundstage! reviewed their V3 and even gave them "product of the year" but didn't shoot any of the speakers in the chamber for measurements which is pretty standard for them...weird?
I don't think Soundstage is doing measurements at the NRC anymore. I haven't seen any recent reviews done there by them. Also, I do hope Axiom starts allowing 3rd party measurements again but only time will tell.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I don't think that will happen since Axiom seems content with their current offerings and now the VP160 fills the gap for those wanting a center channel with better off-axis response.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Axioms speakers will at the end of it all measure decently enough... kind of sad they don't like 3rd party measurements.

Check out NorH speakers:

Now there's a company with something to hide. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Axioms speakers will at the end of it all measure decently enough... kind of sad they don't like 3rd party measurements.

Check out NorH speakers:

Wow, that looks awesome.:eek::D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Those Vivid Audio's G2's should get your approval according to the measurements ADTG. The reviewer even puts them in the "Revel" quality of loudspeaker.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host

Check out NorH speakers:

Don't worry. Some $16,000/meter speaker cables will fix that right up! Only if you use a $25,000 power cord on your CD player though, of course :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis