Internet Victory as SOPA, PIPA Lose Steam

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The SOPA and PIPA bills are withering away as Internet activism seems to have scored a victory. Several well-established corners of the Internet went dark Wednesday in protest of the anti-piracy bills facing the House of Representatives and Senate respectively. The bills would give content owners heavy-handed powers to shut down or block sites accused of copyright infringement without the benefit of legal discourse or due process. Even worse; the ability to block, shutdown or sue websites accused of piracy involves entertainment industry lawyers tinkering with domain registries, the very backbone of the Internet itself. In a nutshell: Politicians want to give lawyers the ability to tinker with the inner workings of the Internet! What could possibly go wrong?

Discuss "Internet Victory as SOPA, PIPA Lose Steam" here. Read the article.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My biggest problem is that content providers receive no punishment for abuse. If they were responsible to pay for the court costs and punitive damages to the accused it would make a lot more sense.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'm just happy to see the amount of protest. The people made it clear, we DON'T want this. I agree some level of reform is needed, but this bill was just an easy solution without thinking it through.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
The music industry seems to have found a way. Not perfect but it's better than it was.

I think for movie and TV shows - online, a la carte content with high-quality options is the only way it's going to work. Suing people is going to prove a waste of time and effort.

I mean what I say about incentives. Any industry that relies on copyright for its revenue stream is not an industry of the future. They'll have to fine innovative ways to tie-in incentive.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The music industry seems to have found a way. Not perfect but it's better than it was.

I think for movie and TV shows - online, a la carte content with high-quality options is the only way it's going to work. Suing people is going to prove a waste of time and effort.

I mean what I say about incentives. Any industry that relies on copyright for its revenue stream is not an industry of the future. They'll have to fine innovative ways to tie-in incentive.
Great article again Wayde thanks for your perspective!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I called my local congressman and was told he planned to vote "no" on these bills.

jinjuku

jinjuku

As a content producer (of software) I can personally attest that the laws currently on the books are enough to exercise our rights when they are infringed upon.

We've been to court twice over copyright infringement in the form of piracy and have come out with an award.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm just happy to see the amount of protest. The people made it clear, we DON'T want this. I agree some level of reform is needed, but this bill was just an easy solution without thinking it through.
There are more than enough laws on the books for content producers to protect their efforts.

The issue is that old media want protections that enable them to carry on with business as usual.

It's like Kodak somehow getting laws passed against digital storage for camera's that guarantee them the revenue of selling film for cameras.

Netflix, Apple, Hulu, Pandora, Amazon, HDTracks, B&W Music.... have all shown new business models are not only possible but profitable.

Seemingly a lot of these old guard companies just want to continue being Block Buster Video instead of seeing where the wind is blowing and becoming a Netflix or even RedBox.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

We've been to court twice over copyright infringement in the form of piracy and have come out with an award.
And, were you able to collect on the awards? Refund legal fees too?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There are more than enough laws on the books for content producers to protect their efforts.

The issue is that old media want protections that enable them to carry on with business as usual.

It's like Kodak somehow getting laws passed against digital storage for camera's that guarantee them the revenue of selling film for cameras.

Netflix, Apple, Hulu, Pandora, Amazon, HDTracks, B&W Music.... have all shown new business models are not only possible but profitable.

Seemingly a lot of these old guard companies just want to continue being Block Buster Video instead of seeing where the wind is blowing and becoming a Netflix or even RedBox.
Netflix is starting to make their own content.

jinjuku

jinjuku

And, were you able to collect on the awards? Refund legal fees too?
Funny thing about courts: They simply give you a hunting license. But yes, one was a hospital, the other a performance training center (a small chain).

The training center thought they could not pay. One day we get a call from their CEO because they can't obtain any bank financing what so ever:D It was years later but it worked.

$62K award including attorney fees ($22K) at 1.8% per month for 38 months.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis