hdcp error on Pioneer

C

chris81106

Audiophyte
I just purchased a receiver and tried to hook up my Direct TV and Blue Ray player to the receiver - I got many problems trying to do this. Here is the list.

Before I started I had my Direct TV and a DVD/surround sound hooked up straight to the TV with HDMI - Everything worked fine.

Direct TV receiver (HR24-500) to Pioneer receiver (VSX-1021) via HDMI

Sometimes sound - Never picture, screen is black - Pioneer always says HDCP ERROR

Direct TV receiver works with HDMI to Vizio (VF551XVT) when bypassing Receiver

Sony Blu-ray (BDP-S580) to Pioneer receiver (VSX-1021) via HDMI

always sound - never picture, screen is black - Pioneer does NOT say HDCP ERROR

Sony Blu-ray does NOT work when bypassing Pioneer - no sound and black picture.

When I hook both Sony and Direct to Pioneer and switch back and forth with Pioneer remote - Neither work - Pioneer always says HDCP ERROR

Things I have tried to fix it...

Tried different HDMI cord
Unplugged everything waited one hour plugged it in and restarted
Tried turning on the TV first then the Pioneer after another restart
Hooked everything up using Component analog video - It works BUT the picture quality is awful - If this is what I am going to be stuck with I will just return the blu ray and hook everything back out to the TV with HDMI

What am I doing wrong??

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I've been looking online at the components that you have. The Pioneer is definitely HDCP compliant, as is the Vizio. The Sony's manual, although it doesn't actually say "HDCP", implies that it is. I'm still trying to nail down if the Directv receiver is, but I'll be really surprised if it isn't.

I saw a review on Amazon about your blu-ray player from someone that kept getting a black screen and no sound when trying to play a DVD, so maybe (just maybe) it's a bad unit.

When you connect the HDMI outputs on the Directv reciever and blu-ray player to the Pioneer, which inputs do you use? I'm just wondering if all of the audio/video assignments have been set up correctly on the receiver (although that would not give you the "HDCP Error" message). From your descriptions, I'd say that they have been...but I want to double check.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Also - if you haven't tried this, try turning the HDMI control functions to off (see page 43 of the Pioneer owner's manual).

C

chris81106

Audiophyte
I am hooking the Direct TV receiver up to the DVR/BDR HDMI outlet and the Sony to the DVD HDMI outlet.

I am unable to see an on screen menu for the Pioneer. The only thing I can see it the front of the receiver.

When I hit reciver on the remote and then audio Parameter (to get to home menu?) I scroll down and see HDMI - my only options are AMP or THROUGH

C

chris81106

Audiophyte
All of the sudden I am getting sound when the Direct TV is hooked up to the receiver - still no picture... I did nothing different.

also, with the sound I still see the ERROR message

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The fact that you don't see the Pioneer menu on your TV sure catches my attention. You should definitely be able to see that.

I'm not trying to be patronizing with this question - are you sure that you're selecting the correct input on the TV for your receiver? You do have the receiver connected to the TV with an HDMI cable, correct?

If the above are all set up right, try turning the video conversion on the Pioneer off. It should detect your TV's resolution correctly, but maybe it isn't.

C

chris81106

Audiophyte
Yes the HDMI is hooked up to the TV on port 4 and the TV is set to HDMI 4. On my TV it shows a blue screen that says no signal if you are not on the right setting, But when I set the TV to the right setting (HDMI 4) it goes to a black screen.

I turned V.CONV off... and made sure I was on HDMI 4 on the TV - when to a black screen again and no menu on the TV

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm. I'm going to have to think more about this.

While I am, please check something else. As insulting as this might sound, I don't mean it that way! This has happened more than once. Double check that you have the HDMI cable connected to the "OUT" HDMI port on the receiver. It's easy to plug it in wrong, especially if you're not facing the back panel and are feeling around to plug it in.

C

chris81106

Audiophyte
It's okay - I am new at this, but can follow directions very well. So I am willing to check everything.

I have 6 HDMI port on the back of the receiver only one of them is marked for "out" and that is the one that I have going to the back of the TV.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Chris, please try one of the other HDMI inputs on your TV (especially HDMI 1-3). I find it curious that the owner's manual for the TV lists HDMI 4 separately and says to use that input to connect a DVI input to. That makes me think that input is not HDCP compliant, and that might just be your issue.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not - that's just the HDMI input that has analog audio inputs associated with it. Still worth a try, though.

C

chris81106

Audiophyte
Okay - here is what I found

HDMI input 1 - black screen - I have sound
HDMI input 2 - blue screen says no signal - I have sound
HDMI input 3 - black screen - I have sound
HDMI input 4 - black screen - I have sound
HDMI input 5 (side) - black screen - I have sound

I have a Hitachi - L55S603 in the bedroom and I about to get that thing off the wall to see if it the crap Vizo that is giving me the trouble!!

Wonder if I can get my Wife to help me move the two TV's... haha

C

chris81106

Audiophyte
UPDATE!!!!

This morning I tried everything again. I went out and got a USB storage device and updated the firmware on the pioneer. Still nothing.

I went and got HDMI 1.4 cables instead of the 1.3b that I am using. Still nothing.

Then I talked my wife into switching the TV from the bedroom to the living room. I hooked everything up using the original HDMI 1.3b cables and everything the way I had it when I followed the direction from the manual the first time... IT WORKED!

I will never buy a Vizio product again...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the update! I'm glad that you got it working - but it sucks that it isn't working with the Vizio. Sure seems like it should...but at least now you can see something. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your help Adam. I appreciate it very much.
Yes, Adam gave you service "beyond the call".

Let this be a warning that Vizzio is absolutely cheap useless junk, and to be avoided. Obviously they are too cheap to be certifies, as that Vizzio unit has to be out of HDCP compliance. There stuff just blows up so frequently you might just as well put your money on a bonfire!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis