Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Home made veneer ?!? :eek:

Now that is the real DIY. :D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I can't even wrap my head around how veneer works, much less make it.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I can't even wrap my head around how veneer works, much less make it.

This person must have some serious talent. I'm a disaster at applying it. So, making it is way out of the question.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Come on guys, look at the grain pattern in the veneer on these speakers. What do you see? And what does that suggest might appear on the other side of the speakers?

I can't believe no one has commented on this yet, especially those of you with lurid imaginations.

Here is another view of the grain pattern.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Come on guys, look at the grain pattern in the veneer on these speakers. What do you see? And what does that suggest might appear on the other side of the speakers?

I can't believe no one has commented on this yet, especially those of you with lurid imaginations.

They can't post...their hands are busy.:p

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

I'm sorry.
Many of us are serious Audiophiles, and don't think along such sophomoric lines.:rolleyes: :D :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I see it now. Curvy, small-chested prehistoric woman laying on a bed (or rock, whatever they had back then), eyes closed with her arms behind her head. In the left speaker, she's all flirty with her "come-hither" smile. The right speaker looks like, well, the face she makes between "N" and "P." :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was only concerned whether the hand-rubbed glossy finish was equally applied in all areas.
Careful. Sometimes trying to get that just right gets in the way of enjoying the overall process.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not clear on what is meant by 'homemade No Rez' in Post #3 and that 5 step finish process left me in the dust with the double boiler action. I hate that guy even more now that I read the thread. He sucks.

Would those speakers be the store bought counter part to the ER18's?

The speaker lust is killing me. That guy's tool set up is super impressive and even so he refers to the amount of labor in those as being insane. TLS' truism about the work being nothing in the rear view mirror is small consolation on this side of a job like that. Man ... :rolleyes:

I take it not everybody saw a 4 foot tall vagina there?
Well ... I guess we can't all be romantics.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not clear on what is meant by 'homemade No Rez' in Post #3 and that 5 step finish process left me in the dust with the double boiler action. I hate that guy even more now that I read the thread. He sucks.
I wasn't clear on that homemade No Rez either. The guy, WGH, who bought those speakers does woodwork for a living, custom woodwork and furniture. Check out the door in his avatar. I'm guessing he made that.
Would those speakers be the store bought counter part to the ER18's?
Those speakers are Salk HT2-TLs with custom made cabinets. They probably sound identical to the ones that Tom Andry reviewed. From reading the thread, it seems like WGH made the mesquite 1/8" veneer and the 1" solid boards for the speaker front baffles as shown in his photos. Then he sent them to Jim Salk in Michigan, who built the MDF cabinets, veneered them, mounted the front boards, did all the routing work, installed the XOs, drivers & wiring, and shipped them to WGH. He then sanded and applied the lovingly hand-rubbed finish. Yes, I'm jealous of those too.
The speaker lust is killing me. That guy's tool set up is super impressive and even so he refers to the amount of labor in those as being insane. TLS' truism about the work being nothing in the rear view mirror is small consolation on this side of a job like that. Man ... :rolleyes:
You will never see a photo of my basement and tools.
I take it not everybody saw a 4 foot tall vagina there? Well ... I guess we can't all be romantics.
To be exactingly literal, I saw the outline a gracefully slender woman, lying face down with her legs modestly crossed at the knees. You could see from the top of her head to just above her knees. There was no gynecological anatomy visible. I suppose there is a large diameter port (4 or 6") on the rear baffle, but don't even think of it :eek:. That's just wrong.

I wonder how many mesquite tree trunks that guy had to slice before he found that grain pattern? Or was it just luck?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If you had any doubts about this guy's profession, he added this about finishing steps…
Regarding the finish, I have been using a 5-step process that works out pretty well. I hand sand and use a tack cloth between coats.

1.) Finish sand to #400 grit with a Dynabrade sander with a 3/32" orbit

2.) Apply a base coat of DeftOil clear, let soak in and wipe off excess. Let dry at least 24 hours. DeftOil adds a richness and durability to the final finish by soaking deeply into the mesquite, the oil takes at least 30 days to completely polymerize and easily penetrates the entire 1/8" veneer on my test samples.

3.) Apply a thin topcoat of McCloskey Satin Spar Varnish/Waterlox Original Sealer-Finish mix. I mix 5 parts of the varnish with 1 part Waterlox. The mix is thinner than the straight varnish so it will have a tendency to run but it soaks in, flows out and dries without any brush marks if you are careful. The Varnish/Waterlox mix will bond to the DeftOil to form a protective layer that is actually in the wood, not just on top.

4.) After sanding using a block to level out the finish apply a top coat of Waterlox. Let dry, sand and repeat as necessary until the finish looks perfect or you get bored.

5.) Let the perfect finish dry for a couple of days then wax with a Minwax/Waterlox mix. I borrowed this idea from Sam Maloof who finishes his chairs with a mix of half linseed, half tung oil and some bees wax. My custom finish dries overnight and will result in a more durable finish. Melt 1 part Minwax paste wax in a double boiler using a hot plate, add 1 part Waterlox Original Sealer-Finish and mix well until melted together. Apply the mix with 0000 steel wool and buff with soft cotton rags, let dry overnight.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic

Well. O.K. I guess. But, I'm still very impressed.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Adam

The guy who has these speakers is in Tucson.

WGH Woodworking

I won't forgive you if you don't go see & hear these speakers. Neither will Alex.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis