new svs PC12-NSD... underwhelmed.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Please tell me why nobody has recommended getting DUAL HSU VTF-15h subs? For almost the same price as the PC-13 Ultra he could have 2 amazingly powerful 15" subs that can be ran ported OR sealed depending on prefference & room effects.

Look i LOVE SVS subs a lot! Ivd heard them & they are a great company. But honestly for their price/performance compared to some of HSU's price/performance ratio sometimes i find SVS hard to recommend.

Does anyone else agree that if he OP has the room to stack or even split up 2 15Hs that they would out-perform a single 13-U...?

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Yeah I agree the HSU VTF 15H is an awesome deal compared to the Ultra. I'm a huge SVS fan and can't say enough good things about them, but they are not the bang for the buck they once were. I remember back when the SVS PC13 Ultra with the Bash amp was only 1199.00 or 1349.00 somewhere in that range now the Ultra is closing in on $2k. HSU seems to be one of the few that has tried to keep prices from going up. But I can say that SVS is no where near as bad as Axioms price to performance ratio. They want NSD performance for Ultra price.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Yeah, the reason I'm not recommending the HSU VTF-15H (or a pair of them) is because the VTF-15H is, IMO, the worst sub that HSU makes. Now, don't get me wrong, it is NOT a bad sub. I'm just saying that out of all of HSU's subs (OK, maybe excluding the 3 smallest STF-1, STF-2 and VTF-1) the VTF-15H is the last one I would take, personally.

The problem with the VTF-15H is that it is not linear at all. Oh sure, when it isn't playing too loud, it'll play linearly just fine. But when you start to up the volume, you get this large hump around 40-50Hz where it cranks out the volume, but above and below that, the frequency response drops way down. And for the really deep sub-30Hz stuff, there's just a ton of distortion and not nearly the output capability of an SVSound Ultra or even a Plus.

You've gotta realize that the VTF-15H uses the same 350Watt BASH amp as the VTF-3 MK4 and even the old VTF-3 MK2. The SVSound 1000Watt Sledge amp found in the Ultra series is on a COMPLETELY different level of quality and capability, as is the Ultra 13.5" woofer, which is just miles and miles ahead of the 15" paper cone in the VTF-15H.

The 15H just runs out of steam. You'd need 8 of them to equal the 20Hz output of the PC13-Ultra with the same low distortion. Is that cheaper than a single Ultra cylinder?

There's a reason why the prices are the way they are. SVS isn't gouging on the prices here. For one, they're including shipping, which on subs the size and weight as theirs, is a couple hundred bucks easy. But more than that, it's the parts quality.

Most people aren't ever going to come even close to needing to actually crank the VTF-15H. That's why a lot of people are perfectly happy with it and think that it can play amazingly low and loud. But the OP made a PC12-NSD DSP run out of steam. The VTF-15H wouldn't fair any better - it's about equal to the PC12-NSD DSP except that it doesn't have the NSD's DSP amp to control distortion and linearity.

Like I said, the VTF-15H is not at all a bad sub. Neither is the PC12-NSD DSP! They are both good subs. But they are not the equal of an Ultra or Plus SVS sub.

As for Axiom's subs, the EP500 is the only one worth a look. In terms of quality of the sound, it's around SVS Plus or Rythmik levels. It just lacks the output. But it has a physically smaller size, so that's where it might make sense. The EP600 sounds like *** and the EP800 isn't much better, so it really is all about the EP500 with Axiom. It costs about the same as a SVS Plus or Rythmik and quality-wise, does about as well, so it isn't way out of line. You just trade max output for physical size, so I can still see value in it. That is, until its amp inevitably starts acting up on you ;)

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
Please tell me why nobody has recommended getting DUAL HSU VTF-15h subs? For almost the same price as the PC-13 Ultra he could have 2 amazingly powerful 15" subs that can be ran ported OR sealed depending on prefference & room effects.

Look i LOVE SVS subs a lot! Ivd heard them & they are a great company. But honestly for their price/performance compared to some of HSU's price/performance ratio sometimes i find SVS hard to recommend.

Does anyone else agree that if he OP has the room to stack or even split up 2 15Hs that they would out-perform a single 13-U...?
I have dual 15H's in a 4500^3 irregular shaped room. One farfield (13' from LP)
One nearfield (6' from LP). Gain matched and a REW measured 90+db at 13hz~. (max extention mode).
I like it. :)

To Firstreflection..
I've heard the ultra in my room and unfortunately the sound card was on the fritz so we couldn't do REW. (that was disappointing) We did do a wack of sound clips between them (not at blistering db lvls but closer to what a person might listen to). During the testing once we looked at each other and asked which sub we were listening to atm because we lost track. (we were listening to only one 15H during those clips).

I disagree with your comments from the little bit of comparisons i've heard in my room.

Attachments

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

You get what you pay for. The drivers SVS use in their Ultra subs are far better engineered units and also cost ALOT more to produce. The Sledge amps in the SVS are more powerful and more costly. The build quality is better, aesthetics, etc. It's not all just about output, which BTW the SVS has more of below 30Hz according to our measurements. Take a close look at the frequency response graphs at max power of the HSU vs SVS in our reviews and you will see how much better behaved the SVS subs are at low frequencies.

You get what you pay for. HSU is an absolute bargain but so is SVS when you want the absolute top notch performance from a single driver subwoofer.

IMO the PB12-Plus DSP and PB-13Ultra are engineering marvels. You can't even get their level of performance from most typical ported single woofer designs from brick&mortar brands and to date we haven't tested any ID brands that can match them either.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, the reason I'm not recommending the HSU VTF-15H (or a pair of them) is because the VTF-15H is, IMO, the worst sub that HSU makes. Now, don't get me wrong, it is NOT a bad sub. I'm just saying that out of all of HSU's subs (OK, maybe excluding the 3 smallest STF-1, STF-2 and VTF-1) the VTF-15H is the last one I would take, personally.

The problem with the VTF-15H is that it is not linear at all. Oh sure, when it isn't playing too loud, it'll play linearly just fine. But when you start to up the volume, you get this large hump around 40-50Hz where it cranks out the volume, but above and below that, the frequency response drops way down. And for the really deep sub-30Hz stuff, there's just a ton of distortion and not nearly the output capability of an SVSound Ultra or even a Plus.

You've gotta realize that the VTF-15H uses the same 350Watt BASH amp as the VTF-3 MK4 and even the old VTF-3 MK2. The SVSound 1000Watt Sledge amp found in the Ultra series is on a COMPLETELY different level of quality and capability, as is the Ultra 13.5" woofer, which is just miles and miles ahead of the 15" paper cone in the VTF-15H.

The 15H just runs out of steam. You'd need 8 of them to equal the 20Hz output of the PC13-Ultra with the same low distortion. Is that cheaper than a single Ultra cylinder?

There's a reason why the prices are the way they are. SVS isn't gouging on the prices here. For one, they're including shipping, which on subs the size and weight as theirs, is a couple hundred bucks easy. But more than that, it's the parts quality.

Most people aren't ever going to come even close to needing to actually crank the VTF-15H. That's why a lot of people are perfectly happy with it and think that it can play amazingly low and loud. But the OP made a PC12-NSD DSP run out of steam. The VTF-15H wouldn't fair any better - it's about equal to the PC12-NSD DSP except that it doesn't have the NSD's DSP amp to control distortion and linearity.

Like I said, the VTF-15H is not at all a bad sub. Neither is the PC12-NSD DSP! They are both good subs. But they are not the equal of an Ultra or Plus SVS sub.

As for Axiom's subs, the EP500 is the only one worth a look. In terms of quality of the sound, it's around SVS Plus or Rythmik levels. It just lacks the output. But it has a physically smaller size, so that's where it might make sense. The EP600 sounds like *** and the EP800 isn't much better, so it really is all about the EP500 with Axiom. It costs about the same as a SVS Plus or Rythmik and quality-wise, does about as well, so it isn't way out of line. You just trade max output for physical size, so I can still see value in it. That is, until its amp inevitably starts acting up on you ;)
You are no doubt talking about the VTF15h measurements taken by Audioholics:

But you are seriously exaggerating the non-linearity of what is depicted. Take a closer look at that graph and you'll see the VTF15h is pretty much +/- 3 db down to 30 hz. That "large hump" you talk about doesn't even look like a full 3 db. While that isn't perfect, that is still very good, and it doesn't even really happen until you near the sub's output limits. I don't know where else you can get that flat of a FR at that level of output for $1k unless you DIY, and even if you did DIY you would not be able to achieve that flat of a FR without a EQ. And good luck trying to throw together a EQ, driver, amp, and cabinet material in as nice looking of a sub with the same performance for substantially less than $1k.

Also, I really doubt the PC12 NSD can match the VTF15h, especially above 30 hz, and I have no doubt a VTF15h can tackle larger rooms than the 12" NSD subs from SVS. I'm not trying to slam the SVS subs, but they would be unfairly compared to the VTF15h. The VTF15h is really competing against the PB12 Plus, where it mostly matches the Pluses output except at the deepest part of the Pluses tuning point, but for 3/4 the price.

By the way, the VTF15h is not using the same amp as the VTF3, it's designed specifically for the VTF15h.

Two VTF15h subs would have pretty big advantages over a single PB13, although not at 20 hz. While I would love to have a PB13, I'd rather have dual VTF15hs.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
are these the right graphs to compare Gene?

Hsu Research VTF-15H CEA Test Performance
Frequency Maximum Peak SPL @ 2 meters
20 Hz 100.9 dB
25 Hz 106.8 dB
32 Hz 110 dB
40 Hz 112.7 dB
50 Hz 112.7 dB
63 Hz 112.6 dB

if yes, that would mean, one would have to co-locate the dual 15's to beat the single ultra (in the upper freqs), negating the frequency response benefit.

personally, i'd rather have ONE gorgeous chick and add another down the road than TWO average chicks now.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
are these the right graphs to compare Gene?

Hsu Research VTF-15H CEA Test Performance
Frequency Maximum Peak SPL @ 2 meters
20 Hz 100.9 dB
25 Hz 106.8 dB
32 Hz 110 dB
40 Hz 112.7 dB
50 Hz 112.7 dB
63 Hz 112.6 dB

if yes, that would mean, one would have to co-locate the dual 15's to beat the single ultra (in the upper freqs), negating the frequency response benefit.

personally, i'd rather have ONE gorgeous chick and add another down the road than TWO average chicks now.
Bingo you converted Paul's data to 2 meter RMS which is how Josh reports all his test data. Even co-locating 2 HSU VTF-15H subs wouldn't match the output of one PB13-U below 30Hz. I usually NEVER recommend co-locating subs as you lose the benefits of smoothing out room modes for just gaining more output.

BTW I see others commenting that the VTF-15H is a better value than the new SVS 12-NSD. Perhaps Ed Mullen will publish his test data soon on this sub as from what I've seen so far, it appears to have more output below 30Hz than the VTF-15H but the VTF-15H has an output advantage above 30Hz. I guess it depends on what you are after. Personally I'd rather have the smallest box size possible and still get the low end if the manufacturer uses a robust enough driver to deliver it.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Bingo you converted Paul's data to 2 meter RMS which is how Josh reports all his test data. Even co-locating 2 HSU VTF-15H subs wouldn't match the output of one PB13-U below 30Hz. I usually NEVER recommend co-locating subs as you lose the benefits of smoothing out room modes for just gaining more output.

BTW I see others commenting that the VTF-15H is a better value than the new SVS 12-NSD. Perhaps Ed Mullen will publish his test data soon on this sub as from what I've seen so far, it appears to have more output below 30Hz than the VTF-15H but the VTF-15H has an output advantage above 30Hz. I guess it depends on what you are after. Personally I'd rather have the smallest box size possible and still get the low end if the manufacturer uses a robust enough driver to deliver it.
Gene, since Audioholics sub reviews (with CEA measurements) are building up, perhaps a new running article consolidating the results in one easy to see and compare graph is in order?

0-0-0-

I know SPL is but ONE aspect of a sub (even distortion limited ones), but it's the only one really where we can get outright facts and a point of comparison.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, since Audioholics sub reviews (with CEA measurements) are building up, perhaps a new running article consolidating the results in one easy to see and compare graph is in order?

0-0-0-

I know SPL is but ONE aspect of a sub (even distortion limited ones), but it's the only one really where we can get outright facts and a point of comparison.
Funny you must have a crystal ball. I am working on this as we speak. Josh has tabulated all of his test data in Excel so anyone can download it once I post it. Paul's data won't be in it since Josh only wants his test data tabulated but I may supplement in the report for those that want to compare...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Funny you must have a crystal ball. I am working on this as we speak. Josh has tabulated all of his test data in Excel so anyone can download it once I post it. Paul's data won't be in it since Josh only wants his test data tabulated but I may supplement in the report for those that want to compare...
you might want to watermark it with "audioholics.com" instead of just audioholics :)

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
For any folks wondering about my comments (and my comments alone), I'm not basing them on any published reviews. I'm making my comments based on what I've heard with my own two ears. That a lot of my opinions and experiences happen to line up pretty well with certain reviews...well...I don't really have anything to say in particular about that. You can choose to take that as some sort of confirmation, or you can chalk it up to coincidence. And sometimes, my experiences do not line up with published reviews, so it's not as though I think I'm "spot on" all the time or anything :p I just listen and form my own opinions based on what I've heard for myself.

The VTF-15H in particular, what I heard for myself made me form the opinion that I don't quite understand why HSU sells it. I think that maybe what happened was that a lot of people really like the ULS-15 and asked HSU to make a ported version of a 15" subwoofer. I get why people really like the ULS-15. It does play really nicely and it plays low and linear. But it really can't play very loud. Nor would I expect it to with a 250 Watt amp and a sealed enclosure. But that's why HSU offers them in pairs and quads for discounted "bundle" prices. Rather than try to make their accurate, great sounding sealed 15" subwoofer play louder by itself, they just offer multiples at a discount so that you can increase output that way.

But I'm pretty sure that a lot of people probably wanted a ported 15 incher, thinking that they could get substantially more output from a single box. Well, the VTF-15H DOES deliver substantially more output - but only at certain frequencies and without the great linearity and extension of the ULS-15. It's a design trade off, but I just don't think the VTF-15H came out quite as good as I would have hoped. Personally, I'd rather take the 12" VTF-3 MK4, which, like I said, uses the same 350 Watt amp. To be blunt, I just think the VTF-15H is underpowered in its amp and runs out of steam.

What I heard from the VTF-15H was a big ol' hump in the 40-50Hz range. But then again, when I audition subs, I like to hear what they can do just using the features that come with the sub. And I'm listening in an actual room. The PB13-Ultra DSP has built-in EQ. So in my own auditioning, I make use of that built-in feature to tame the worst room peaks. The VTF-15H has no such EQ feature built-in. So it's extremely likely that the big hump I heard was partly the frequency response of the sub itself, but also exaggerated by the room I was in. The thing is, my own VTF-3 MK2 didn't sound like that, so it wasn't purely the room. Like I say, the room acoustics likely just exaggerated a part of the VTF-15H's performance.

Anyways, getting back to the point - the original question that started all of this discussion was why twin VTF-15H weren't being recommended over a single PC13-Ultra DSP. And really simply, my answer is because I think the lone PC13-Ultra DSP is better. Based on my own listening, I think the PC13-Ultra DSP plays lower, louder and with less distortion and better transient response than even a pair of VTF-15H.

Like I said earlier, I now find it really hard to accept anything less than the PB/PC13-Ultra DSP's performance. After hearing it and being so impressed, it's set a new "high water" mark for me - especially at under $2000 shipped. I've heard a JL Audio Gotham. That insane beast might be better than the SVS Ultra. But at $12,000? I think that 6 SVS Ultra's could probably still take it ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In response to your comments about the ULS-15, its amp is quite a bit more powerful than 250 watts continuous, they don't list it on the site but seeing as how they do list 600 watt continuous power requirement, its safe to say the continuous RMS of the amp is going to be well over 250 watts. And it can get fairly loud, as loud as the VTF3 which is well-known to be no slouch in output.

You complain about the VTF15h running out of steam, which it does- at 120 db from 30 hz up in 1m measurements according to audioholics, and 123 db according to S&V magazine. In other words it runs out of steam at extremely loud output levels. Unless you are talking about 20 hz and below (ie the most uncommonly used and least useful band of bass), even the worst measurements show this complaint to be superfluous. The vast majority of users of the VTF15h will never know the limits of it unless they go deliberately looking for them.

Also what I find odd is that you claim to somehow hear the natural response curve of the VTF15h, a modest bump of 3, maybe 4 db which, according to audioholics measurements, mostly only comes out at the edges of its output? And at 40 to 50 hz, a frequency most people aren't very sensitive to? And all within a room, no less? Needless to say, that is pretty questionable. But what really makes your complaint about the 40 to 50 hz bump a non-issue is that it can easily be tamed by using the onboard features of the VTF15h itself, as was demonstrated by the audioholics review supplemental.

annunaki

annunaki

at the $1700 price point, is there anything out there 'better' than the PC13-Ultra?
If you are willing to go DIY you can easily exceed it's performance for the same price or less.

1 JL Audio 13W7 with a custom low tuned vented, or PR design enclosure coupled with a Behringer EP4000 (or larger) amplifier and a Behringer DCX2496 and you have absolute world class bass.

I had an SVS Ultra-12 II, when they were still around, and my 12W7 sealed DIY setup wipes the floor with it. It is also equal to or higher in overall output as well.

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
For any folks wondering about my comments (and my comments alone), I'm not basing them on any published reviews. I'm making my comments based on what I've heard with my own two ears. That a lot of my opinions and experiences happen to line up pretty well with certain reviews...well...I don't really have anything to say in particular about that. You can choose to take that as some sort of confirmation, or you can chalk it up to coincidence. And sometimes, my experiences do not line up with published reviews, so it's not as though I think I'm "spot on" all the time or anything :p I just listen and form my own opinions based on what I've heard for myself.

The VTF-15H in particular, what I heard for myself made me form the opinion that I don't quite understand why HSU sells it. I think that maybe what happened was that a lot of people really like the ULS-15 and asked HSU to make a ported version of a 15" subwoofer. I get why people really like the ULS-15. It does play really nicely and it plays low and linear. But it really can't play very loud. Nor would I expect it to with a 250 Watt amp and a sealed enclosure. But that's why HSU offers them in pairs and quads for discounted "bundle" prices. Rather than try to make their accurate, great sounding sealed 15" subwoofer play louder by itself, they just offer multiples at a discount so that you can increase output that way.

But I'm pretty sure that a lot of people probably wanted a ported 15 incher, thinking that they could get substantially more output from a single box. Well, the VTF-15H DOES deliver substantially more output - but only at certain frequencies and without the great linearity and extension of the ULS-15. It's a design trade off, but I just don't think the VTF-15H came out quite as good as I would have hoped. Personally, I'd rather take the 12" VTF-3 MK4, which, like I said, uses the same 350 Watt amp. To be blunt, I just think the VTF-15H is underpowered in its amp and runs out of steam.

What I heard from the VTF-15H was a big ol' hump in the 40-50Hz range. But then again, when I audition subs, I like to hear what they can do just using the features that come with the sub. And I'm listening in an actual room. The PB13-Ultra DSP has built-in EQ. So in my own auditioning, I make use of that built-in feature to tame the worst room peaks. The VTF-15H has no such EQ feature built-in. So it's extremely likely that the big hump I heard was partly the frequency response of the sub itself, but also exaggerated by the room I was in. The thing is, my own VTF-3 MK2 didn't sound like that, so it wasn't purely the room. Like I say, the room acoustics likely just exaggerated a part of the VTF-15H's performance.

Anyways, getting back to the point - the original question that started all of this discussion was why twin VTF-15H weren't being recommended over a single PC13-Ultra DSP. And really simply, my answer is because I think the lone PC13-Ultra DSP is better. Based on my own listening, I think the PC13-Ultra DSP plays lower, louder and with less distortion and better transient response than even a pair of VTF-15H.

Like I said earlier, I now find it really hard to accept anything less than the PB/PC13-Ultra DSP's performance. After hearing it and being so impressed, it's set a new "high water" mark for me - especially at under $2000 shipped. I've heard a JL Audio Gotham. That insane beast might be better than the SVS Ultra. But at $12,000? I think that 6 SVS Ultra's could probably still take it ;)
Based on your knowledge, what can you point out on my graph that's disputes anything i've said? FYI, that graph is eq1 which boosts the low end. EQ2 evens it out at what i'm seeing at 13hz, meaning that the peek at 13hz drops.I was playing with a curve in that graph and showing what the different Q settings do.

I know some guys listen to "blistering" db lvls, some of us listen to somewhat tamer levels. I really think you're talking diminishing returns here for twice the price. For some that extra DB is worth it, for others it's not. It comes down to what levels you listen to no?

That's the way I see it.

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic

You have no measurements, just your ears to determine lower/louder and less distortion? That's amazing man. ;)

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
Ahhh...The saga of the VTF15H reviews continues. :D
I only have my own limited graphs to share when people ask about the 15H.
Take it for what's worth, it's better than somebody's audio memory. (most of us know how poor that it is.)

Feel free to pick apart my graph Ricci, you're more informed than I am by miles and I like learning.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have dual 15H's in a 4500^3 irregular shaped room. One farfield (13' from LP)
One nearfield (6' from LP). Gain matched and a REW measured 90+db at 13hz~. (max extention mode).
I like it. :)

To Firstreflection..
I've heard the ultra in my room and unfortunately the sound card was on the fritz so we couldn't do REW. (that was disappointing) We did do a wack of sound clips between them (not at blistering db lvls but closer to what a person might listen to). During the testing once we looked at each other and asked which sub we were listening to atm because we lost track. (we were listening to only one 15H during those clips).

I disagree with your comments from the little bit of comparisons i've heard in my room.

Nice job on the measurement man you must have a very cooperative room. I suggest reducing the vertical dynamic range of your measurement to 40dB and also limiting the x-axis to where the sweep stops. Also you should measure at multiple seats and not just the money seat. Did you compare the overall sub level to the satellites? I like to pull fullbandwidth measurements 20Hz to 20Khz and smooth them to 1/3 octave to ensure I set the subs at the right level. Of course listening and adjusting afterwards is always a must!

Matt34

Matt34

Multiples is the way to go IMO. I seem to be able to locate a single sub and it drives me nuts, plus having a more than one sweet spot is important to me.

I couldn't afford dual PB-13 ultras so the hsu-vtf 15 was a good compromise in price and performance. I have more headroom than I'll ever need without having to stress them.

My advice to the OP is to sell the nsd and get one of the SVS, rythmik or HSU in the $1000-1300 range and then get a second one down the road.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis