Looking for 5.1 set for $1,500

Y

yveletnik

Junior Audioholic
I have an old question what’s the best 5.1 speaker set I can get for $1,500? Music and movies are equally important. Music I listen to would be classic rock. I don’t need it to be very loud but would like to have a nice sound quality. The room size is average and might change.

So far looking at following 3 systems

Klipsch RF-52 Home theater:
"h t t p : / /w w w. k l i p s c h . c o m/rf-52-ii-home-theater-system"
listened to a pair of rf-52s without subwoofer, was OK, didn’t WOW me but 1,500 is probably not enough for that. Kinda aggressive sound I guess all Klipsch’s do that, maybe just need to get used to it. Sound needed more body, maybe the subwoofer will fix that, RF-82 sounded fooler, but it’s out of my price range

Klipsch G-16 Home theater:
"h t t p : / / w w w. k l i p s c h . c o m/gallery-g-16-home-theater"
No reviews on the net whatsoever!!! It cost the same as RF-52 system will it sound the same? Will flat panel be an equal in that price category? White option and flat design will sure make my wife happy.

Kef T205:
"h t t p : / / w w w . k e f . c o m/us/surroundsound/t-series/t205"
That system got whole bunch of awards, some reviews even say that it sounds like a $20,000 set of speakers. I’m having troubles finding a dealer that have those in showroom in Chicago area.

So I guess the question is for the 1,500 set of speakers does it make sense to go with tower or buy the flat panels? On one hand I always thought that you need to have a big box to make a good sound, but times change…
Or is there a better solution for my price?
Any input appreciated

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
What is an "average" size room to you?

For $1500, you shouldn't be looking at all-in-one packages. You're better off buying speakers and sub separately.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you can not stretch the budget - then save for surrounds
Look at this NHT deal - towers and center
http://www.nhthifi.com/

Look at the HSU sub
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

The SuperZero can work as surrounds
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-speaker-SuperZero-2-0?sc=12&category=3772

This is the only all in one system, that I might think about - NHT
http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-Absolute-Zero-5-1

Not as good as a tower or bookshelf speaker - however, these flat panels
do sound good for the money - and come in pearl white > HTD
http://www.htd.com/Products/flat-panel-speakers/flat-panel-speaker
http://www.htd.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1596&c=589892&h=1f5dc338daa57856457d

Last edited:
Y

yveletnik

Junior Audioholic
Thanks

Thanks for good responses, so I'll go with towers for front, now just need to decide which one is best between these 3:
NHT Absolute tower
KEF Q500
Klipsch RF-52

Sub looks like all agree on:
Rythmik FV12
VTF-2 MK 3 Subwoofer

will have to start auditioning those in the next couple weeks.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Those are some serious speakers you are considering. I think you'll really need to audition all 3, as they're going to sound markedly different from each other.

I have a huge soft spot for NHT gear. I've listened to them a handful of times in high-end audio shops and have been blown away every time I've heard them. I haven't heard Klipsch's Reference series, but I have heard their Icon series, which have a well-earned reputation of being very bright. They are very efficient and can play loud, but lack in detail in the mids and highs. I imagine the Reference series is much better in this regard, but it's probably not a speaker I'd choose for music listening. The KEFs have been very well-reviewed and have fantastic response. The NHTs are incredibly neutral and detailed.

I'd personally almost certainly get the NHTs, but I expect that most people would select the KEFs. For a dedicated theater I'd probably get the Klipsch. Pretty hard to go wrong either way.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The NHT & KEF will probably measure more accurately than the Klipsch.

But when it comes down to actual sound preference, only you can decide.

I know DenPureSound prefers the sound of his Klipsch RF82 over the Infinity Classia towers for music listening, although the Classia measure a lot more accurately than any Klipsch speakers I've ever seen, including their $22K speakers.

O

ObsceneJesster

Audioholic Intern
Vanns is having a HUGE promo on Energy speakers right now. It ends October 31st so you do have time. I have two set ups that I would recommend. The first one is with towers and the second with book shelves.

Energy CF 70's - $500 http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542279143/energy-cf70

Energy CC-10 - $199
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542865495/energy-cc10

Energy CR-10 - $199 http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542823738/energy-cr10

Emotiva X-Ref 10 - $450 http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=124

This set up will cost you $1350

This set up consists of Bookshelves instead of towers.

Energy RC-10's - for front right/left and rears - $600 total for two pairs - http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542469405/energy-rc10

Energy RCLCR - $350

Emotiva X REF 12 $629 - http://emotiva.com/xref_sub12.shtm

Total price is $1579

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I find the recommendations of the X Ref subs interesting. What makes you recommend those over others?

O

ObsceneJesster

Audioholic Intern
I find the recommendations of the X Ref subs interesting. What makes you recommend those over others?
There's a couple of reasons. First is the fact that the Ultra 12 got a good review by Audioholics and the preview on Audioholics of the X-Ref 10 state it out performs the Ultra 12 so I can only imagine what the new X-Ref 12 performs like. Second is the fact that Emotiva produces some pretty good amps which im sure they use in their SUBS. Lastly, it comes with some pretty good features that other amps in its price range doesn't have.

Just my two cents.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I know I'm a bit late to this party, but if it were my $1500 to spend and I wanted 5 speakers and a sub for a mix of both music and movies in a medium sized room where I don't plan to play them crazy loud, here's what I would buy for sure:

4 x Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE (for Front L/R and surrounds)
1 x Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE Center
1 x Rythmik FV12 subwoofer

$980 for the 5 Ascend speakers shipped; $500 for the Rythmik sub (on sale right now), plus about $65-$70 shipping - so total is just a hair over $1500 after shipping.

If I absolutely wanted a tower speaker look for some reason or just wanted more output capabilities, I'd get an Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE Main pair with the matching pedastal stands. That would increase the total price by about $350 with shipping included.

If you want excellent performance for both music and movies, the Rythmik FV12 subwoofer should be a lock for a tighter budget like this. Trying to spend less would decrease performance significantly. The FV12 is a "goal post" product at its current $500 price - as in, it has "moved the goal posts" in terms of the performance you get for the price.

The Ascend speakers are very neutral, accurate and transparent. Where I think they are a "cut above" for their price is their tweeter. The SEAS tweeter in the CBM-170SE and CMT-340SE is way above the level of performance you'll find in almost any similarly priced product.

At $1500, I personally wouldn't opt for tower speakers - especially not when the Rythmik FV12 is part of the package. You're basically just paying for extended bass response in your front speakers that you do not need and that isn't going to be of the highest quality considering the price point. I'd personally stick with some very good bookshelf speakers - like the CBM-170SE. And, as I said, if I really just wanted the tower look or I wanted the extra output capabilities, I'd up the budget for the CMT-340SE Mains.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What I would do is to take a pad of paper with you, write down the make and
model of each speaker you audition and what you liked and disliked about the
speakers you were auditioning. Was the bass tight and deep or was it boomy
and loose sounding? Were the mids life like or were they hollow or just too
pronounced? Was the treble irritating and harsh or were they dark and not
revealing or were they smooththat made you want to listen for more? How was the imaging?

Bring music with you that you are very familiar with and know quite well. To
make it easier to audition HT speaker systems, listen to the main speakers in 2
channel mode with music. Music is much harder to reproduce accurately then a movie soundtrack so if the speakers do well with music, then they will do well with HT. Speakers that do HT well may not do well with music. When auditioning the center channel of the same brand and series as the main speakers, pick a difficult source like an announcer that mumbles alot. If you can understand what the mumbling announcer is saying, then you have a good center channel.

I would go to speciality stores first and start auditioning speakers first
instead of going to the internet first. Once your likes are determined, you can
mention them here and fellow members can make internet brand recommendations based on your likes/dislikes. The specality stores are better setup acousticaly then the big box stores which will make auditioning a little easier. It will give you an idea of what you like in a speaker.

Keep track of what amp or receiver is powering the speakers you're auditioning. Try to get a receiver/amp that closest resembles what you have or want to get. It just reduces another variable when audtioning speakers.

One thing to keep note off. When auditioning speakers, make sure the volume
levels are matched between the diiferent speaker pairs because the louder
speaker pair will always sound better. Listen to levels that you think you
would listen to most of the time because thats how you are going to be using
them most of the time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a huge soft spot for NHT gear.
My first "real" speakers were the NHT SuperZero and SW2P subwoofer. I thought they sounded fantastic too. Just really clear, detailed, and neutral sounding.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I own an Ultra 12 and while it's a fine little sub for music it wouldn't be on my list of subs to be used for movies. They may claim to have solid output down into the low 20s that's just not real world because it depends on room gain that may not be there. In my experience the output drops like a rock below about 30hz. Mine is just fine for what I bought it for (Music in my home-office) but I'll never buy another. The only time that that I recommend Emo subs is for 100% music systems in a smallish room or for apartments where deep bass can irritate the neighbors. In your price range stick with Rythmik or Hsu.

Also +1 on stretching the budget for the Ascend CMT-340SE. I suggested the CBM-170SE because of the budget but if you want more output and a tower look then the 340s with matching stands are a great choice.

Last edited:
O

ObsceneJesster

Audioholic Intern
I own an Ultra 12 and while it's a fine little sub for music it wouldn't be on my list of subs to be used for movies. They may claim to have solid output down into the low 20s that's just not real world because it depends on room gain that may not be there. In my experience the output drops like a rock below about 30hz. Mine is just fine for what I bought it for (Music in my home-office) but I'll never buy another. The only time that that I recommend Emo subs is for 100% music systems in a smallish room or for apartments where deep bass can irritate the neighbors. In your price range stick with Rythmik or Hsu.

Also +1 on stretching the budget for the Ascend CMT-340SE. I suggested the CBM-170SE because of the budget but if you want more output and a tower look then the 340s with matching stands are a great choice.

Does the ultra 12 have a movie setting like the new X-Ref?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I definitely like the Energy RC-10/LCR setup :)

I'd like to see a proper review of the new Emotiva subs before recommending them though.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Does the ultra 12 have a movie setting like the new X-Ref?
No it does not but I still wouldn't buy one until I see a test showing that it does not depend on room gain to reach it's claimed 22hz. I'm not a huge fan of sealed subs for movies (I own 2) especially not small sealed subs and the Ultra just runs out of steam below 30hz. They're great for music but less so for movies.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Paradigm 100ct

If I understand you correctly, you want quality sound for movies and music (cl.rok) but don't need to blow out the walls? One system that I really like is the Paradigm Cinema 100ct series. While they are not large, floor standing speakers I think this could work very well for you. You can get a quality amp for under $500 for your needs. The 100ct runs $999, so that keeps things in budget. Not saying this a recommendation of everyone here but I have heard the system and it is very impressive for it's size.

U

upallnight312

Enthusiast
Question about Subs

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I'm looking to buy my first sub. I had planned on getting a HSU VTF 2 mk3, but seeing the positive reviews of Emotiva subs has me doubting my choice.

A search for the new x-ref brought me here.

Someone here mentioned that Emotiva would be a bad choice for movies. Would that still be the case with the 600w amp in the new x-ref? I know marketing specs lie, but that is more than double the power of the HSU sub I had picked out. The HSU is bigger and ported, but I've heard it can produce port noise.

I'm looking to spend around $500, but will be streching to ~$600 for both of these.

I will be using it for 90% TV/Movies and 10% Music. The room is roughly 15x12x9 with smaller open doorway openings to 12x9 room and another small door wall leading to a hall.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis