can i fix a blown amp channel?

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
so... after doing everything in the manual, i have concluded that the front right channel in my reciever is blown, when i run the auto-calibration, it makes sound but that is the only time it does. so, would i be able to repair it? or is it done for good? its a sony str-dg500

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
so... after doing everything in the manual, i have concluded that the front right channel in my reciever is blown, when i run the auto-calibration, it makes sound but that is the only time it does. so, would i be able to repair it? or is it done for good? its a sony str-dg500
Does it make sound with the test tones, not auto calibration?

If it produces sound that equals the other channels at any time, it is not the power amp. Blown power amps are either silent, or have very reduced volume which is highly distorted.

So it seems your problem is either in the pre amp or processing board.

Will it produce any sound from an analog source in pure direct mode? Do you get any sound from the FM tuner?

You won't fix it, but a technician you pay may be able to fix it, but it might not be worth it. Sony gear is usually the absolute worst to work on, in my experience. Its been thrown together for as long as I can remember.

What did the tuner cost in the first place, and how old is it?

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Does it make sound with the test tones, not auto calibration?

If it produces sound that equals the other channels at any time, it is not the power amp. Blown power amps are either silent, or have very reduced volume which is highly distorted.

So it seems your problem is either in the pre amp or processing board.

Will it produce any sound from an analog source in pure direct mode? Do you get any sound from the FM tuner?

You won't fix it, but a technician you pay may be able to fix it, but it might not be worth it. Sony gear is usually the absolute worst to work on, in my experience. Its been thrown together for as long as I can remember.

What did the tuner cost in the first place, and how old is it?
it works when im listening to the radio :O i paid $80-90 for it used, i think its maybe something like 5 years old. so, how much would it be to get it fixed? because if its more than $80 im just gonna get a new one. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666303781#overview similar specs but its 7.1 and it has hdmi :D worth the extra money in my opinion

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

it works when im listening to the radio :O i paid $80-90 for it used, i think its maybe something like 5 years old. so, how much would it be to get it fixed? because if its more than $80 im just gonna get a new one. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666303781#overview similar specs but its 7.1 and it has hdmi :D worth the extra money in my opinion
If the radio plays it is not an amp channel.

Yes, it will cost you more than $80, a lot more. This problem is almost certainly in the processing board.

Sony would not be my first choice for a receiver.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Sony would not be my first choice for a receiver.
well, what other options do i have for less than $250?
i need something that has 100watts per channel
at-least 5.1 (id prefer 6.1 or better)
if im buyin a new one, hdmi is a must because im getting an hdtv at some point

try and find somthing better for that price

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

well, what other options do i have for less than $250?
i need something that has 100watts per channel
at-least 5.1 (id prefer 6.1 or better)
if im buyin a new one, hdmi is a must because im getting an hdtv at some point

try and find somthing better for that price
You absolutely can not make and sell a receiver, with a processor, multiple amps and HDMI for that kind of money that is any good. It has to be junk and a waste of money. Save for something better.

Remember the most expensive purchase you ever make is cheap junk.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
You absolutely can not make and sell a receiver, with a processor, multiple amps and HDMI for that kind of money that is any good. It has to be junk and a waste of money. Save for something better.

Remember the most expensive purchase you ever make is cheap junk.
but what am i supposed to do till i save that much money?
edit: they could make a reciever like that for that price, but then they wouldnt make as much profit... i probably costs them maybe $150 tops to make a reciever, the rest is all profit

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

but what am i supposed to do till i save that much money?
edit: they could make a reciever like that for that price, but then they wouldnt make as much profit... i probably costs them maybe $150 tops to make a reciever, the rest is all profit
What gives you that idea? Decent components cost money. Then there is a fortune in licenses for codecs and HDMI.

Sound design and testing cost money.

You could not possibly build a receiver, pack and ship it that is any good fro $150.

Have you ever looked inside a modern receiver. There are over a thousand components.

I would suggest you buy a good older unit used. That will be a lot better than new junk.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis