PSB Image T6's

ERA D14's

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I also found some nice deals on these so lmk what you guys think:

PSB Image T6's

ERA D14's
I think you should use some of your free time to try and get out there and audition some of these speaks and let us know what you think ;)
I like this thread very informative info being posted all throughout but the bottom line is for you to audition a few pairs of said speakers and post back your impressions, even if you can't find the actual models go for the same monetary value of another model/brand just to get some detailed insight.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I think you should use some of your free time to try and get out there and audition some of these speaks and let us know what you think ;)
I like this thread very informative info being posted all throughout but the bottom line is for you to audition a few pairs of said speakers and post back your impressions, even if you can't find the actual models go for the same monetary value of another model/brand just to get some detailed insight.
I agree..all the guys have been more than helpful...thus far. Kind of resembles the Ventwood thread from way back....if you ask me.:D

M

Melee

Audioholic
Once again, for the 80th time (lol), I cannot audition any of these speakers. There is nowhere within a 10+ hour drive of me that has any of these, probably more-so for the PSB and ERA's. This is why I am asking for opinions....If I could go listen to them at a local store, then I wouldn't have asked about them in the first place. ;)

I am on a somewhat tight budget of around $800 or less for these so it would be impossible for me to afford the time and money spent to make a trip that far just to listen to speakers that I might not even like. I've listened to the different types of sounds (Klipsch - Harsh/Aggressive, Polk - Bright, and Pioneer - Warm/Neutral) and I know that I am looking for a wonderfully detailed/crisp sounding speaker that is neutral and warm. They also need to have respectable bass since I will not have a Sub for a while. I have to rely on you guys for which speakers fit that bill best and I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I'm not forcing anyone to help me or asking anyone to go out of their way for me. I am simply looking for opinions on the different speakers I find that interest me so that I can make the best decision possible without actually hearing them.

The PSB's and ERA's simply don't have much to read about.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Something that sounds amazing to one person can sound like crap to you. You are getting to a point where it seems that you will not buy anything because you are always looking at something else. If you can get the infinities for as cheap as you said you could, I suggest you get those and be done with it.

M

Melee

Audioholic
Something that sounds amazing to one person can sound like crap to you. You are getting to a point where it seems that you will not buy anything because you are always looking at something else. If you can get the infinities for as cheap as you said you could, I suggest you get those and be done with it.
True, but normally if it's a particular "type" of sounding speaker, it's a bit easier to make a generalized review of it. For example, here I am wanting a neutral/warm sounding speaker with great detail and clarity. That is far easier for someone else to make a suggestion for than me saying I just want the best speakers for my budget. I know it's still difficult, but as I said, doing it this way is my only option.

I am new to all of this so there are a lot of brands that I am yet to discover. The more I read and research on everything in my spare time, the more options I find. I am simply trying to find the best speaker to fit the bill for my needs. The only thing that worries me, as I mentioned before, about the Infinity's is that everyone describes them as somewhat "bright". I don't like bright speakers because they are harsh on my ears and initiate fatigue rather quickly. I am simply exploring all other options that I can find in hopes of finding a nice deal on speakers that are not bright and that have the superb musicality that I am looking for while still doing their duties well for Home Theater.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know what to tell you. One person's bright is another person's laid back. Another person's laid back is another person's neutral. One person's "just right on that cymbal" is a another person's "that cymbal should be bigger, more grand, more enveloping" ;)

All I can do is show you facts, not opinion:

Infinity Primus Waterfall shows me it's a relatively good speaker, with some stored energy at 3khz and 5khz. If you do end up hearing this, take advantage of my advice wayyyyyyyyyyy back like a week ago: that you need a return option WHATEVER YOU BUY.

Infinity Primus On-Axis response

Below 300-400hz we're into room affects so we can't judge the bass as this is an in room measurement but above that it looks pretty neutral to me. Not the highest resolution graph in the world but it also shows that there's no broad rises in frequency that might emphasize highs over mids and bass.

Off-Axis response

For a 300 dollar speaker that's ridiculously good.

PSB Image T6

Seriously dude, buy something and take advantage of the damn return period if it doesn't float your boat. Worst comes to worse, use auto-EQ to flatten out the response.

EMP Tek e55ti

Looks like a flat speaker to me, with some oddness around 600hz and 1.3khz that TLS Guy thinks is stored energy but we don't know for sure because gene didn't measure that sort of thing. I'm not hearing the major effects and I think this speaker sounds pretty relaxing and detailed to my ears.

Revel F12

Energy RC-70

SVS STS-02

Moral of the story: unless I'm mistaken, you're coming from Polks. None of this stuff is that bad. Whatever you pick will be an upgrade. Don't overanalyze. If you don't like it, return it. Get something with a return period like the svs or aperion speakers and worst comes to worse you wasted a few days auditioning a speaker that didn't float your boat.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
2 entire threads with ~4000 views and over 200 responses... I dunno but it sure smells fishy....;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
2 entire threads with ~4000 views and over 200 responses... I dunno but it sure smells fishy....;)

Nonsense !!!
:D

Don't be so paranoid. :rolleyes:

... but I better get my question answered or I'm going deep. :eek:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
And if you're really damn intent on getting the perfect speaker for your money then DIY a kit. Make a Zaph ZDT3.5 or Statements or ER18 MTM and be done with it. No commercial speaker could even come close dollar for dollar.

M

Melee

Audioholic
Who said that?
Several responses I have found on a variety of different forums have mentioned this. I'm not sure what they are comparing them to in order to consider them "bright", but it definitely wasn't a rare occurrence in their description.

Moral of the story: unless I'm mistaken, you're coming from Polks. None of this stuff is that bad. Whatever you pick will be an upgrade. Don't overanalyze. If you don't like it, return it. Get something with a return period like the svs or aperion speakers and worst comes to worse you wasted a few days auditioning a speaker that didn't float your boat.
Understandable, but the problem is with the cheaper options, such as the Infinity's, there is no return period. I can definitely return them, but I would have to pay shipping plus a restocking fee at pretty much any store that carries them which means I would end up only receiving about half the amount of the original price I pay.

There are only a select few places that has the 30-day money back guarantee where they pay for the return shipping and don't charge any type of fees.

What do you mean? :confused:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Understandable, but the problem is with the cheaper options, such as the Infinity's, there is no return period. I can definitely return them, but I would have to pay shipping plus a restocking fee at pretty much any store that carries them which means I would end up only receiving about half the amount of the original price I pay.
:rolleyes: then don't get em. Get what you can audition. You can ask 100 people what sounds like what, get 100 of the same answer and still not know what you're getting. Pick something already and quit being afraid of the wrong choice. The SVS for example does have a return period. Choose that. EMP Tek has a return period. Choose that. Aperion does too.

No one here is going to convince you that the cheaper options IE Infinity Primus are 100% accurate speakers because there's no such thing. Are they bright? Maybe in someone's room. Are the warm? Maybe to someone else who listens to vinyl. Who knows? If you're not willing to pay return shipping to decide for yourself, and you can't find an audition anywhere, and you're not willing to trust measurements that show that most of these speakers are not at least "intentionally bright", then you need to lose the greed and get a more expensive speaker that does have a free return shipping.

There's no free lunch in this world.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned the NHT SuperZero bookshelf speakers for > 5 yrs. They sound great to me.

Match these $99 NHT speakers with a $349 NHT subwoofer and they will sound awesome or your money back guarantee!

What I would do is use the HI Level input/output: hook the L/R speaker wire output from the AVR to the back of the SUBWOOFER. Then hook the L/R speaker wire output on the back of the subwoofer to the NHT SuerZero. Set the crossover on the back of the NHT subwoofer to 80Hz.

You can get the NHT SuperZero on Amazon brand new for $99 each (free shipping/30 day free Return policy).

http://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero-2-0-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B0049FA1TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299468311&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/NHT-Super-110-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0049FGP7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299468197&sr=8-2

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
show me ....
I don't know about the 363 but I do think the 362's tweeter can be a little aggressive (I would not call it bright though) at times, but only with certain musical instrument such as the flutes. In the beginning I also thought the violin sounded a touch grainy but not any more.

So I don't prefer it for symphony orchestra stuff but for everything else they are great, very competitive in the <$2000 price range in my opinion.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
but only with certain musical instrument such as the flutes.
I think i read somewhere the other day that there's no tweeter in the world with the same directional radiation pattern as a flute.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Several responses I have found on a variety of different forums have mentioned this. I'm not sure what they are comparing them to in order to consider them "bright", but it definitely wasn't a rare occurrence in their description.
Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I would have categorized Infinity speakers as bright. Every one of their speakers I ever heard was not only "bright", but had HF distortion in their implementation of Al domes (in all fairness to Infinity, this was pretty new technology - at least for mainstream consumer speakers). So I almost wonder if this is a holdover to categorization based on history.

I would never say my P362's were "bright" they have a good clear high-end that I would consider neutral. As a matter of fact I consider their HF characteristics the best aspect of this speaker.

Edit: Peng posted as I was typing. I'm not sure I've listened to any flute on them, I'll have to check that tomorrow - too late tonight!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know about the 363 but I do think the 362's tweeter can be a little aggressive (I would not call it bright though) at times, but only with certain musical instrument such as the flutes. In the beginning I also thought the violin sounded a touch grainy but not any more.
What was the recommended breakin period for those...jk:D

So I don't prefer it for symphony orchestra stuff but for everything else they are great, very competitive in the <$2000 price range in my opinion.
This is why I'll heavily consider ID or alternative designs (ie kits) and have FW's likely build me my next set of speakers. If I'm shelling out 1500-2000 g's on my next speaker purchase they better sound a lot better then my marginally decent sounding speakers now...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis