Bookshelf vs towers

R

Relishh13

Enthusiast
Hi, I am torn between towers or bookshelf.What I need is a recommend or any pointers and or thoughts on this topic.I have a room size of 24x16x8 studio app.Volume as well as size or looks is not an issue.Just looking for some insight as to pro's and con's of each for this room size.thanks all.:D

R

Relishh13

Enthusiast
I already know the brands I am looking at,just need size now.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
A good set of bookshelves can generate plenty of SPL. Combined with a decent sub or two and properly calibrated, I don't think you'd be giving up anything quality-wise with bookshelves vs. towers.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Generally speaking, with towers, one gets greater volume possible, and deeper bass. However, if we are talking about a home theater where there will be a subwoofer for the deep bass anyway, then there is no need for the other speakers to go very deep. Also, towers in the same model line cost more than bookshelf speakers. This means that if one has a particular budget, if one buys bookshelf speakers, one can spend that extra money on a better subwoofer and get deeper bass. Or, one can spend that extra money on a higher line of bookshelf speaker, and get the upper frequencies better.

With that in mind, what do you want most: Maximum volume, deepest bass, or highest quality of midbass and up? If you want maximum volume, you want the towers, if you want deepest bass, you want bookshelf speakers with the extra money going into a better subwoofer, and if you want the midbass and up better, you want to buy bookshelf speakers in a higher line than what you would get with tower speakers at the same price.

Keep in mind, these are generalities, and some bookshelf speakers of some brands play very loud indeed, so you will want to think carefully about what you value most.

I personally use high quality bookshelf speakers for all channels in my surround system (other than the subwoofers, of course), and my system is capable of playing louder than I ever want to hear it. But some people like to listen to their system at volumes that do permanent damage to their hearing, and so it might be that some people would not be satisfied with my maximum volume.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Pyrro gave a great explanation, but I have a different take on it.

With your room size I would go with towers. Now this also comes with other factors as will you be listening to music in just two channel mode without or with the sub?

Personal preference here...when I listen to music I don't like a sub.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I already know the brands I am looking at,just need size now.
I love the suspense.:D

Hey guys, I need you to tell me the difference between the bookshelf and floor-standers I want. However, I want you to guess which ones they are while you describe the pros and cons of each.:rolleyes:

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I love the suspense.:D

Hey guys, I need you to tell me the difference between the bookshelf and floor-standers I want. However, I want you to guess which ones they are while you describe the pros and cons of each.:rolleyes:
I love a good laugh, but show me where the same line of bookshelf out performs a tower.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can read your mind. I know what you want. You don't have to spend a lot of money. Just get a pair of Infinity P362 or P363 and save a lot of money and get clear accurate sound with adequate bass.

If volume & bass is not your concern, then the only bad thing about bookshelf speakers is that you need speaker stands.:D

The bad thing about some towers is that they cost more to make, so they may skimp on the quality of the speaker to save money.

But if you can get a pair of P362s or P363 for only $300, you will not be able to find a better sounding pair of speakers for under $2K in my opinion. They may look better, may have more bass, but I don't think they will sound better.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Bookshelfs with the right sub sounds very good. Sometimes when i listen to music I use my rear surrounds and a sub and I am amazed how good it sounds. If space is an issue I would go with bookshelfs and good sub.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love a good laugh, but show me where the same line of bookshelf out performs a tower.
You mean in an actual double-blinded test or in measurements of the on-axis and off-axis frequency response?

Home Theater Magazine:

The Absolute Zero’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/nht-absolute-zero-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

I have never seen any other speakers do better on Home Theater Mag.

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
Generally speaking, with towers, one gets greater volume possible, and deeper bass. However, if we are talking about a home theater where there will be a subwoofer for the deep bass anyway, then there is no need for the other speakers to go very deep.
Pyrrho makes some good points but I have to respectfully disagree with this one.

Typically when you're using a recommended crossover point, such as 80Hz, the main speakers still have to reproduce some challenging material. There are many bookshelf speakers that begin to roll off around 60-80Hz, but to get the best performance possible, your mains really need to be "in their prime" with regard to frequency response well under the desired crossover frequency. A tower speaker that plays accurately 30Hz below the crossover frequency will potentially reproduce mid-bass more convincingly than a bookshelf speaker that plays accurately to only 10Hz below the crossover.

With a competent tower speaker, you'll have one or more woofer drivers dedicated to playing frequencies above the subwoofer crossover. Removal of the very low bass will only help them play more accurately and efficiently.

When you're planning on using bookshelf speakers on stands, you save very little floorspace compared to using towers, and in fact may lose even more because a subwoofer typically becomes more necessary. With towers, you may not need to add a subwoofer for realistic reproduction, thus saving floorspace and money.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
When someone is shopping for speakers, they usually have a budget in mind. For equal dollar amounts, I can find many bookshelf's that outperform towers. It all depends on the money.

Within the same line would not make sense for budget.

1) Need to know a budget.

2) Need to know the mystery brand.

Honestly, no need to support this type of posting. OP needs to either give required information to get reasonable responses, or continue to have a useless thread.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Often, unless you are in the higher dollar offerings, a tower will have resonance that a bookshelf will not. Especially on the low end, a company will use the same construction for their BS speakers as they do for the towers. Towers will need thicker walls and added internal bracing to have the same rigidity. It is a basic principal of physics, strength, and scale.

When a review refers to the "knock test", this is what they are referring to - how solid the cabinet is and how likely it will resonate from the vibrations imposed by the drivers.
I have found that bookshelf speakers offer a tighter more accurate sound while towers often add a warmth and fullness (positive adjectives chosen). Or I could say bookshelves are more analytical and clinical while towers are more sloppy and muddy (negative adjectives chosen). I can't tell you which would sound better to you (for me, it largely depends on the type of music), but that is a consistent difference I have noted between towers and bookshelf speakers.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Often, unless you are in the higher dollar offerings, a tower will have resonance that a bookshelf will not. Especially on the low end, a company will use the same construction for their BS speakers as they do for the towers. Towers will need thicker walls and added internal bracing to have the same rigidity. It is a basic principal of physics, strength, and scale.
Thanks for bringing this up. I had forgotten about this aspect but it's the main reason I have trouble finding any tower speaker I like, including some very expensive and popular models.

On another note, I don't understand why some people argue that bookshelf speakers aren't as loud as towers. For example, in the Dynaudio Focus line, the Focus 140 bookshelf is rated at 86 dB/w. The Focus 220 tower speaker is also rated at 86 dB/w. For any given input, they will be exactly the same volume. Mind you, the Focus 140 are rated for a max input of 200w while the Focus 220 are rated for 250w max. Considering that you need to double power for an audible 3dB increase in volume, you would need pump 400w into the towers (which they are not rated for) for them to be audibly louder than the bookshelves so NO, the towers are not louder than the bookshelves.

OTOH, the Focus 360 are 88 dB/w and they are rated for 300w max so technically they can be louder than both the bookshelves and the lesser towers (if you aren't deaf by that time). But that's a function of sensitivity and power handling, not cabinet preference. Other more sensitive or robust bookshelves could certainly be louder than these towers.

BTW, having auditioned both, I really like the Focus 140 but I don't find the Focus 220 to be an upgrade at all, despite the tower format and higher price tag.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Some years ago, Consumer Reports rated some Polk bookshelf speakers higher than the towers in the same line. The reason was that the tower speakers had a less flat frequency response, with exaggerated bass. Of course, the towers also were capable of deeper bass. Many audiophools criticized CR without thinking about exactly what CR was saying, as they stupidly thought that a higher model in a line automatically made it better.

I am too lazy to research the details to be able to tell you the particular models in question, or how many years ago this was.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Pyrrho makes some good points but I have to respectfully disagree with this one.

Typically when you're using a recommended crossover point, such as 80Hz, the main speakers still have to reproduce some challenging material. There are many bookshelf speakers that begin to roll off around 60-80Hz, but to get the best performance possible, your mains really need to be "in their prime" with regard to frequency response well under the desired crossover frequency. A tower speaker that plays accurately 30Hz below the crossover frequency will potentially reproduce mid-bass more convincingly than a bookshelf speaker that plays accurately to only 10Hz below the crossover.

With a competent tower speaker, you'll have one or more woofer drivers dedicated to playing frequencies above the subwoofer crossover. Removal of the very low bass will only help them play more accurately and efficiently.

When you're planning on using bookshelf speakers on stands, you save very little floorspace compared to using towers, and in fact may lose even more because a subwoofer typically becomes more necessary. With towers, you may not need to add a subwoofer for realistic reproduction, thus saving floorspace and money.
There are almost no tower speakers that go as low (at -3db or better) as the bottom of the line subwoofer from SVS. So if one wants really deep bass, it is a very rare tower speaker that will give it to you.

Additionally, bookshelf speakers vary in their -3dB point and the volume that they can play. I would recommend bookshelf speakers that go down to at least 60Hz (@ -3dB), and preferably lower. The ones I use have a -3dB point of 50Hz. And that is 30Hz below the crossover point, which is what you are recommending, and which shows that a tower speaker is unnecessary.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I personally use high quality bookshelf speakers for all channels in my surround system (other than the subwoofers, of course), and my system is capable of playing louder than I ever want to hear it. But some people like to listen to their system at volumes that do permanent damage to their hearing, and so it might be that some people would not be satisfied with my maximum volume.
Ringing in the ears is not fun.

I am more than happy with high quality bookshelf speakers - they
are not shy. If a tower can not pass the knock test - it will not
come in the house.

A

amp512

Enthusiast
I am not trying to hijack this thread but i am in the same boat trying to decide between floor standing vs bookshelf.

How about this comparison for 24'x26'x9' open floor plan and viewing/listening distance is about 21'

Paradigm Studio 20 v5 - 3 identical LCR
2x Rythmik F15SE subs

vs

Paradigm Studio 60 v5 - LR
Paradigm Studio CC590 v5 - Center
2x Rythmik F15SE subs

Studio 20
Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 90 dB / 87 dB
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 180 watts
Maximum Input Power† 110 watts

Studio 60
Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 92 dB / 89 dB
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 220 watts
Maximum Input Power† 170 watts

Studio CC590
Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 91 dB / 88 dB
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 220 watts
Maximum Input Power† 170 watts

I used online Peak SPL calc and compared both speakers, Studio 20 vs Studio 60 using Paradigm's advertised in room sensitivity with roughly 125watt/ch amplification I get 103.8 db with pair of Studio 20s and 105.8 db with pair of Studio 60s

What would you guys pick? No budget/WAF/Space constraints at least for these two speakers...

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I get 103.8 db with pair of Studio 20s and 105.8 db with pair of Studio 60s
A 2 db difference in volume is not considered audible. For all intents and purposes, they are equally loud.

I've spent some time listening to Paradigm's offerings at my local AD. I find their towers do have audible resonance that I find distracting. In this case, I would choose the bookshelf version even if only for that reason. But that's just me. I advise that you spend some time listening to these choices yourself keeping in mind the discussions you can read here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis