Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

itschris

itschris

That has been my experience too. I think the speakers' crossovers just do a better and smoother more integrated job than the receivers.

Like they say, if it sounds great for music, it will sound great for movies too.
Should my rears be set to small you think? With the LFE hooked up I had everthing set to large. Now in my surround setup I turned the sub off, but I"m wondering if I should still have them all set to large.

Last edited:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Center

Here are a few reviews of Anthony Gallo speakers from Home Theater:
My opinion is that I would not guy any of these speakers.:D
Oh no, just browsing.

You mentioned that you used one of your BP7002's as a center but it was too tall. Why not lay it on it's side and use it as a center under the tv instead of in front of the tv? I'm considering doing this, if I can buy single speaker, when I get my SM450's as there seems to be no perfect match for a center with this model.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Sm350

Copy that. tx
Chris, you're using SM 350's as surrounds? What do you think of them? I could save $100 or more if I went with the 350's instead of the 450's. I would use them all around and not just as surrounds though.

itschris

itschris

Chris, you're using SM 350's as surrounds? What do you think of them? I could save $100 or more if I went with the 350's instead of the 450's. I would use them all around and not just as surrounds though.
Funny you ask. I got these about a week before my towers came and I used them on stands with my Adcom 555II, preamp and disc player as well as with my Pio. I believe what was most impressive was the huge soundstage they produced and how focused it was. As mains, they were very adept at placing the sound where it need to be... dare I say even more so than the towers.

I don't think you'd make a mistake at all with the 350's.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh no, just browsing.

You mentioned that you used one of your BP7002's as a center but it was too tall. Why not lay it on it's side and use it as a center under the tv instead of in front of the tv? I'm considering doing this, if I can buy single speaker, when I get my SM450's as there seems to be no perfect match for a center with this model.
I used the BP7001 as Center.

I don't like horizontal speakers. I like all vertical speakers. They sound better to me.:D

If you get the SM450s, why not just get all identical SM450s? That would be a perfect match.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I used the BP7001 as Center.

I don't like horizontal speakers. I like all vertical speakers. They sound better to me.:D

If you get the SM450s, why not just get all identical SM450s? That would be a perfect match.
I knew it was 7002 or 7001. I also didn't remember which thread it was in.

Okay laying the speaker horizontally will change the sound. Since there is no perfect 'matching' center for the SM 450's, I was going to get a single SM450 and lay it on it's side. Chet at DefTech recommended the CLR2002 or the Pro center 2000.

I'm still thinking seriously about the SM450's, but if I get the SM350's I would save more a than $100.00. But, I have a problem. If I get the SM350's, I'll regret not getting the SM450's.

itschris

itschris

I knew it was 7002 or 7001. I also didn't remember which thread it was in.

Okay laying the speaker horizontally will change the sound. Since there is no perfect 'matching' center for the SM 450's, I was going to get a single SM450 and lay it on it's side. Chet at DefTech recommended the CLR2002 or the Pro center 2000.

I'm still thinking seriously about the SM450's, but if I get the SM350's I would save more a than $100.00. But, I have a problem. If I get the SM350's, I'll regret not getting the SM450's.
I have the CLR 2500 and it sounds great.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since there is no perfect 'matching' center for the SM 450's
The SM450 has a 6.5" woofer/mid and 1" tweeter, so any Def Tech Center (CLR) with a 6.5" woofer/mid and 1" tweeter will be a great match.

Like the SM450 + CLR3000.:D

Actually I think any Def Tech center will be a good match.

But I get the feeling you cannot place a SM450 vertically for Center in your situation?

Could you place the SM350 vertically for Center?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would use them (SM350) all around and not just as surrounds though.
All identical VERTICAL speakers would be ideal (SM350 x 5 or SM450 x 5).

I would not get a SM350 or SM450 and place it HORIZONTALLY!

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
But I get the feeling you cannot place a SM450 vertically for Center in your situation?

Could you place the SM350 vertically for Center?
I have 9" bellow my my tv, which is wall mounted, to the stand. So anything higher than that would block the vision. The SM350's are 10.69" tall.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have 9" bellow my my tv, which is wall mounted, to the stand. So anything higher than that would block the vision. The SM350's are 10.69" tall.
I see.

The CLR2002 has a 1" tweeter & 5.25" mid/woofer. The CLR2002 is 6" high (horizontal placement).

The SM350 has has a 1" tweeter & 5.25" mid/woofer.

They would match perfectly then.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
DefTech SM 450

I got my Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 450's and C L R 2002 center yesterday and I'm blown away. I haven't had much time to play with them but they're very nice. I don't know that they are better than my PSB's, but they certainly have a 'different' sound.

Thanks to those that recommended these and helped with the decision. I wish I would have found this forum a year ago.

T

twylight

Audioholic Intern
Anyone know the center channel match for the older BP-30s? The ones that were pre-powered subwoofer era.

Searching for "BP" in google is such a fail now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got my Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 450's and C L R 2002 center yesterday and I'm blown away. I haven't had much time to play with them but they're very nice. I don't know that they are better than my PSB's, but they certainly have a 'different' sound.

Thanks to those that recommended these and helped with the decision. I wish I would have found this forum a year ago.
Congrats on your purchase!

I think the SM450s are fantastic bookshelf speakers.

I am certain you will love your new speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone know the center channel match for the older BP-30s? The ones that were pre-powered subwoofer era.

I believe BP30 tower has the 6.5" mid/bass and 1" tweeter, so get a Center speaker with 6.5" mid/bass & 1" tweeter or close to it. A center with 5.25" mid/bass & 1" tweeter will be a good match as well - something like the CLR3000 or CLR 2500 or CLR 2002 or Procenter 2000 or CS-8080.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan

The CLR 2000 is the match, but it's been discontinued as have the BP30, the closest match now is the CLR 3000, which is the same as the 2000, only it has a built in sub. A CLR 2002 would also be a good match.

D

dmadesign

Audiophyte
I am looking at buying a used pair of BP10B's and I want to make sure they are not BP-10's. I asked the seller and they said on the bottom of the speaker it says BP-10 but that the serial number had a B at the end which might mean they are BP10B's. They also said their manual says BP10B on it and they are about 6 years old. Any help with telling the two apart would be greatly appreciated.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking at buying a used pair of BP10B's and I want to make sure they are not BP-10's. I asked the seller and they said on the bottom of the speaker it says BP-10 but that the serial number had a B at the end which might mean they are BP10B's. They also said their manual says BP10B on it and they are about 6 years old. Any help with telling the two apart would be greatly appreciated.
BP10b's have aluminum domed tweeters, and BP10s have soft domes tweeters, very easy to tell the difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis