Concealed Handgun this time

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

this is the exact look i'm looking for (above taken from colt website)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Nice stuff there Chris....

I'm lovin my Para 18-9 1911 same as the ones they used in Hitman.
I think they replaced it with a change in look http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=10
I dig the 18 round clip....

Also thrilled with my H&K P30.... great ergos, accurate, totally dig the clip eject, accurate and lightweight - just felt right in my hands.... Not too big...

The ex woman went with the H&K 45, fun machine but just never felt as good in my hands as the P30...

I'm not as heavy into guns and modding stuff like Chris's but, I can't complain with the stuff I have... I would like to acquire a nice piece like his AR...

What model is that AR Chris...? Did you do all the work on it - mods.... ?

itschris

itschris

Nice stuff there Chris....

I'm lovin my Para 18-9 1911 same as the ones they used in Hitman.
I think they replaced it with a change in look http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=10
I dig the 18 round clip....

Also thrilled with my H&K P30.... great ergos, accurate, totally dig the clip eject, accurate and lightweight - just felt right in my hands.... Not too big...

The ex woman went with the H&K 45, fun machine but just never felt as good in my hands as the P30...

I'm not as heavy into guns and modding stuff like Chris's but, I can't complain with the stuff I have... I would like to acquire a nice piece like his AR...

What model is that AR Chris...? Did you do all the work on it - mods.... ?
Thanks for the compliments. Your stuff isn't exactly shabby either. The 1911in the pic was built because I wanted to have one gun that was exactly what I wanted... zero comprimises. Problem is... you pay for it. But the truth is you can 85% there with any number of top quality semi-custom builds. $1,500 or so gets can get you a fantastic semi custom in a 1911. The thing is, with a 1911, there are so many options and once you get into them, you start to look at how to make it better. My XD is almost stock with the exception of the one piece replacement guide rod. I took one look at the two piece setup it came with and it was the first thing I replaced. I have a complete trigger replacement in it and a fattened mag release. I have a match grade barrel in it now but it's not ported like the original. I'm okay with that though. I'm just old school and came into the sport back in the early 90's when compensators were all the rage... so I have a tendancy to stick with what I know. I also have a threaded barrel for a Gemtech can.

That AR in the pic is my Smith & Wesson M&P I think. I did everything on that myself. The only thing you need to worry about with AR's are the tiny springs that have a tendancy to shoot across a room and never be found again. I like using Magpul ASAP sling plates in the rear and the first one I installed took me almost two hours until I figured out the little tricks you need but it's not something someone with some patience and a little know-how can't do. The charging handle was a drop in. The trigger assembly... essentially a drop in. The Magpul CTR stock... drop in. The upgraded buffer system... drop in. Rails for true free float come in two basic variaties... one that breaks at the delta ring. So typically with a flattop receiver like I have (i.e. no with the traditional carry handle) you'll have the rail, 3/4 inch or so gap for the delta ring, then the rails in 7, 10, or 12 inch length. I personally don't like that setup. I like the one continuous top rail like on my rifles. Some require you to cut the Delta ring, others have some fangled way around it. For rails... I really do like what Troy has to offer. Also for BUIS, Troy is tops as well. Magpul offers a lot of nice stuff in those areas, but their sights and rails just seem a bit too plastic-y to me. I've seen rifles that are all "Magpulled Out" and just seem to look more like toys to me. It's only a visual thing mind you and certainly my opinion is not shared by others. I have a Magpul CTR stock. To me there are few better options for a CQB rifle. I have Magpul pistol grip only because it provides different backstrap options for big hands. I have a Magpul Enhnaced Trigger guard... I don't know what it does, but I though it just looked better than the straight trigger guard. I guess if you shoot in winter it's supposed to give more room for gloved hands. Not an issue in FL. Beyond that Magpul offers all kinds of stuff to stick on your gun, but I don't care for much of that kind of stuff. I like it simple and clean. A lot of guys put covers on their rails. I actually prefer the bite of the rail... it helps me feel locked in with my grip. You'll notice on the pics of my 1911 that I have some serious checkering. When Bob Cogan built that gun for me we talked at length about the checkering and I purposely kept it pretty sharp. Usually they file it down quite a bit, but I like to have the points dig in a bit.

let's see what else... The BCG.. bolt carrier group is one from Young. It's not chromed but coated or something. It's just a lot easier to clean. I keep the one the came with my rifle as a spare in the pocket of the Magpul MIAD pistol grip. There was nothing wrong with the original bolt mind you, i just wanted a spare. In fact, the M&P bolt group was really nice. Staked properly unlike some of I've seen recently from Rock River Arms and DPMS which weren't even staked at all.

other than that you just have optics and there's more to choose fromt there than you can shake a stick at. You'll never go wrong with an Aimpoint Red Dot though. A lot of folks like Eotech, but I figured if the military decided against them and stopped using them and issue Aimpoint as standard... that should tell you something. There's a lot of new 1x-4x scopes out now which are really nice. I still haven't quite found the perfect once yet... well I have.. but it's $2,200 so I still consider that a no. There's alos ACOGs from Trijicon.. great stuff also used by the military. We can talk all day about optics.

The equipment I have is for fun, but ultimately it's for protecting my family in the worst case scenario so I don't have any weapon with any accessory that's not 100% battleproof. There's a lot of cool stuff out there for handguns and especially AR's designed to make things easier, cooler, faster, whatever... but which may not perform under hardened circumstance. That's the stuff I leave off my guns. For instance, there maybe a cool green laser that looks like a military Insight PEQ-2 that's awsome for lighting up the cat in the living room, but it won't stand up to 500 rounds or being bumped around and dropped like it would if you had to bug out. We're always just a natural disaster away from chaos. The entire country doesn't have to fall apart. Just your town does.

Like audio and video equipment... you get what you pay for. And besides... do you really want to rely on the bargain purchase to save your life? I'll just note that there are some good knockoffs for optics like the Aimpoint. Vortex and Primary Arms make great optics for a reasonable price. Better than a lot of the cheap stuff you see, just not quite as good as Aimpoint. Oddly enough about 2 or 3 weeks ago a buddy of my friend came out shooting with us with a brand new $150 Eotech knockoff and killed it after about 200 rounds.

Anyway, if you have any questions, let me know. I'll answer what I can and If anything, I can at least probably give you a good indication of why I chose, like or dislike the things I do and you can bump that up against your personal situation and determine if it's relevant. I hate reinventing the wheel so I'm happy to help.

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Holy cow, thats alot of nice mods...

I'd love to see some better pics of it, hard to make out some of that stuff...

I agree with alot of points on what you made about durability, plenty of cheap stuff out there to outfit your gun with and make it look cool, but if its gunna break down or fail - whats the point of having it.... Id really like to put together a nice tactical / reliable unit like that... Might need some help and advice... Love the heavy rail system, and I like you don't mind that bite of the steel, rather then all plastic'd out... ugh... Ex woman bought a Yankee Hill Black Diamond Specter XL YHM-15 Carbine, it was pretty nice, first 5.56 I was able to play with....

My really close friend has a great connection with a gun company here and they are pretty good guys - so I'll be heading there to check out some different options... I keep on nagging him to sell me one of his 3 PS90's that he picked up, that haven't even made it out of the box... Those things are pretty cool, how much they are worth in the thick of things I don't know, but I still think their cool...

Also got a line on picking up a Kalashnikov AK-47 and know a guy that has a company that makes lots of mod stocks and kits for them.... not sure if the business is local, but he lives here - gotta dig up his card, my buddy introduced us... Said, anything you need - I'll take good care of ya... :) Hoping this pans out...

V

Vracer111

Audioholic
I've always been interested in the FN PS90...it's a pretty slick designed and easily stripable gun using pistol blowback operation built around an interesting round. Doesn't seem really useful past 100m though. If I could ever get a good deal on one I'd pick it up though.

I also have an HK P-30 and it's the best overall pistol to me...great ergonomics, truly ambidextrous setup, easy breakdown, high end manufactured parts and craftsmanship, etc... The only thing I'd improve is the trigger pull, but it's not designed to be a target gun so I can't hold it against it. Works well in the IDPA style events I've been doing recently at a local Gun Store/Range. The only pistol I like to shoot better than the HK P-30 is my EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match in 10mm (1911 style single-action competition pistol that is very accurate especially at farther distances), but I wouldn't trust it for home defense or 100% functionality - HK is a 100% trustworthy pistol. P30 makes for a good concealed carry gun as well.

My 10mm Auto EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match is upgraded with 18# Wolff main recoil spring, ambidextrous Factory EAA "Gold Custom" thumb safety, Hogue Witness/CZ-75 wraparound grip, and custom iFiber 95x140 front sight, upgraded magazine components, and ConeFit Guiderod from Henning's who is the go-to-guy for Tanfoglio's (and also a master class competition pistol shooter). The only other thing I have that is needing installation is Henning's Flat Trigger System.

My EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match:

I will say this, the EAA/Tanfoglio 10mm Auto Elite Match rocks - same stopping power as a 357 Magnum but easier to shoot than a .45 1911 (barrel is much lower compared to a .45 and doesn't want to flip like one - pushes straight back basically). Actually, the 9mm HK P30 flips more than the 10mm Auto Elite Match! Double Tap has a nice 10mm Auto ammo selection and is very clean burning stuff... only drawback to Double Tap 10mm Auto ammo is price :eek: Can "down-power" it to .40 Cal with just a barrel swap out and shoot less expensive ammo though. :D And can also configure it to .22LR, 9mm, 38 Super, and/or .45 ACP as well if I want down the road. :cool: And it's a ~$500 pistol from the factory...

That POSP 8x42D scope on that 'AK' is a nice scope. I have a POSP 8x42D (reticle may be a little different though) on my PSL-54C and love the optic quality and reticle layout:

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah - not so much, but if she really wants to kill me she is welcome to do so.

She's back overseas in the big sandbox - serving our country once again contracting...

I'm sure she's reading this so whatever.... creepy right....:confused::confused:

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja

I have a question...

How accurate is this spray gun..... does a scope even help....? :confused::)

Not trying to be an @$$, I am serious with my question.... I was under the impression they were not the greatest product for accuracy...

BTW - that AK looks freakin SEXY !!!!

V

Vracer111

Audioholic
I have a question...

How accurate is this spray gun..... does a scope even help....? :confused::)

Not trying to be an @$$, I am serious with my question.... I was under the impression they were not the greatest product for accuracy...

BTW - that AK looks freakin SEXY !!!!
PSL-54C is a DMR (not a sniper rifle) that is fairly accurate. It's just about as accurate as the rifle it's designed after (the SVD Dragunov) and is good enough to provide accurate suppressing firepower out to around 600m. I love the round it shoots too - 7.62X54R is my favorite round actually. I even bought a Finnish M28/76 military Target/Competition gun because of the round. The M28/76 rifle is Whack! Super Sexy for a Mosin, super accurate, and a super slick and crisp trigger mechanism with ZERO creep and insanely light pull [lighter than the Accutrigger system on my .308 Savage 10FP]. But between the peep sight layout and it kicking like a mule so I have not shot it much (going to customize it so I can actually see the target @ 100+ yards without getting the crap kicked out of my shoulder!) My PSL shoots about 1.5-2 MOA using 148 grain Wolf Bi-metal rounds. Does better with 150 grain Wolf Gold at about 1 MOA. I hate using the surplus crap and will never use it again...not fun having your PSL get rust forming in the gas tube and other places before even getting home from the range to clean it (...very humid climate here...)

Picture below is from my first outing with it @ 100 yards, when I had the 4x PSO scope that originally came with it. Was just aiming at the blue piece of tape in the middle @ 100yards using Wolf Gold rounds. First 4 shots are the ones above and left (the 3 shot group was right @ 1/2" the "stray" brought it just under 1") and I was taking my time. The next six I was messing with the scope every shot and shooting quickly as I was running out of range time. The 4x PSO scope latching mechanism also didn't work properly on that particular scope - it would come loose after each shot and the scope would wiggle.

Here's someone's shot grouping at 600m on YouTube (he says 6 MOA at 600m but meant 1 MOA at 600m...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktaH0kdKV80&feature=related

If I want to concentrate on precision my .308 Win Savage 10FP (factory barrel and receiver with aftermarket stock and scope system) that shoots 3/4-1/2 MOA all day using inexpensive PRVI 168 grain Target Match ammunition is used. If I want to shoot tighter then I just switch to better ammunition...

Will tell you this though, the PSL-54C has to be the FUNNEST rifle to shoot...and it doesn't beat you up like the M28/76 because the semi-auto action makes it almost as tame as shooting my .308 Win Savage 10FP (which is really comfortable). It really kicks out the casings a good 30-40 feet sideways though! Can use the casinngs to keep the enemies from flanking....LOL

I've added an original SVD polymer stock that was reworked by a US company to fit the PSL and will be adding this foregrip from Rhineland Arms to make it look more like an SVD, but more importantly give better control (PSL foregrip is too skinny and square...)

Romanian PSL-54C with Rhineland Arms stock/foregrip and Tabuk style flash hider:

Russian SVD Dragunov:

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I'd go with something like this.

Why limit yourself to just bullets?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
LOL, not sure I wanna shoot the burglar in my own house with that thing !!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis