Adding passive subwoofer - no receiver connector

LadyVixen

LadyVixen

Audiophyte
Hi guys!

I hope that someone here can help me connect my passive subwoofer to my stereo receiver.

To explain my predicament, I recently purchased a cheap "home theater in a box" (Insignia IS-HTIB102) setup for the bedroom, replacing a defective unit. The speakers for this set are absolutely HORRID, but the receiver/5 disc CD changer, and the included subwoofer work well. The pre-existing speakers are sufficient for my bedroom setup, (Sony SS-MF315 tower speakers and JBL surround speakers) so the speakers that came in this setup are destined for the garage.

In my home office I have a couple of Sony SS-MB350H bookshelf speakers running off of an old Technics SA-GX290 receiver.

What I'd like to do is connect the passive subwoofer (190Watts) to my home office receiver to give me more music bass. There is no TV connected to the setup, and it's NOT going to be used as a home theater setup. FM stereo and CD player only.

My problem(s) :

1. The subwoofer only has two speakerwire connectors on the back, just like a regular speaker. One red, one black. No other connectors, controls, etc.

2. My receiver has red/black speakerwire connectors for Front left, front right, surround left, surround right and center, but NO subwoofer connectors.

I sooooo can't afford to screw something up/burn anything up, and am afraid to experiment unless I know that the connection is safe.

Questions: Is it possible to hook this up, or am I dreaming? Can my left or right main speakers share the receiver red/black speaker wire connectors with the subwoofer, or would that cause my system to screw up? If it is OK, what would be the most appropriate (non technical) way to connect these? Honestly, besides connecting red speakerwire --> red connector, I KNOW NOTHING about home audio.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
LadyVixen said:
Hi guys!

I hope that someone here can help me connect my passive subwoofer to my stereo receiver.

To explain my predicament, I recently purchased a cheap "home theater in a box" (Insignia IS-HTIB102) setup for the bedroom, replacing a defective unit. The speakers for this set are absolutely HORRID, but the receiver/5 disc CD changer, and the included subwoofer work well. The pre-existing speakers are sufficient for my bedroom setup, (Sony SS-MF315 tower speakers and JBL surround speakers) so the speakers that came in this setup are destined for the garage.

In my home office I have a couple of Sony SS-MB350H bookshelf speakers running off of an old Technics SA-GX290 receiver.

What I'd like to do is connect the passive subwoofer (190Watts) to my home office receiver to give me more music bass. There is no TV connected to the setup, and it's NOT going to be used as a home theater setup. FM stereo and CD player only.

My problem(s) :

1. The subwoofer only has two speakerwire connectors on the back, just like a regular speaker. One red, one black. No other connectors, controls, etc.

2. My receiver has red/black speakerwire connectors for Front left, front right, surround left, surround right and center, but NO subwoofer connectors.

I sooooo can't afford to screw something up/burn anything up, and am afraid to experiment unless I know that the connection is safe.

Questions: Is it possible to hook this up, or am I dreaming? Can my left or right main speakers share the receiver red/black speaker wire connectors with the subwoofer, or would that cause my system to screw up? If it is OK, what would be the most appropriate (non technical) way to connect these? Honestly, besides connecting red speakerwire --> red connector, I KNOW NOTHING about home audio.

No, you should not connect as you thought might go. Attaching to the amp with the other speakers will affect the speaker impedance at that amp connection. And, you don't want to send a full 20-20kHz signal to the sub.

LadyVixen

LadyVixen

Audiophyte
mtrycrafts said:
No, you should not connect as you thought might go. Attaching to the amp with the other speakers will affect the speaker impedance at that amp connection. And, you don't want to send a full 20-20kHz signal to the sub.
Thank you for the information.

If I read your response correctly, I guess it's useless to even try connecting the sub to any of the speaker outputs on the receiver, huh? :(

I was just looking for a way to use the new passive sub rather than put it in the trash, especially since it really did sound good when I tested it. Just kind of seems like a waste.

Anyway, thanks again.

Angie

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You need to pick up a separate amp or an old receiver to drive the sub. Hook the sub pre-out to the "other" amp/receiver and use the speaker level outs to drive the sub.

C

coolman150

Audiophyte
i have one of these receviers and there is no good way to use a sub with this system. if you want good base i would sugest using the orgnal speaker towers that came with the system (the 3ft tall ones) use of new smaller speakers is ok on the center and suround channels. but for this reciver use of the bigger speakers can give you ALOT of bass. (can shake my room and windows on less than half volume). the downside is the bulk of these speakers. but if you got room for the reciver im shure u can find a spot for the 2 speakers.

im not to sure if the orgnal speakers are tall like mine or not but i know that the 2 main left and right speakers sorta have the subs built in. which is kinda good as dual subs.

hope this imformation helps.

ps. the speaker towers make good mini desks (put keys and such on to)

Matt34

Matt34

i have one of these receviers and there is no good way to use a sub with this system. if you want good base i would sugest using the orgnal speaker towers that came with the system (the 3ft tall ones) use of new smaller speakers is ok on the center and suround channels. but for this reciver use of the bigger speakers can give you ALOT of bass. (can shake my room and windows on less than half volume). the downside is the bulk of these speakers. but if you got room for the reciver im shure u can find a spot for the 2 speakers.

im not to sure if the orgnal speakers are tall like mine or not but i know that the 2 main left and right speakers sorta have the subs built in. which is kinda good as dual subs.

hope this imformation helps.

ps. the speaker towers make good mini desks (put keys and such on to)
You're about five years too late to this party.

Last edited:
Vallenato

Vallenato

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys!

My problem(s) :

You Can use a Speaker selector to attach your passive subwoofer along your Main speakers..You can find a lot on the Market..Obvious that your speakers and receiver will reduce the efficiency but You can try and take your desicion to keep or return. But The A/V receiver is totally protected.I have one Bass Bose Acoustimas 3 series conected to Mirage Main speakers and Tweeters and the sound for me is Great!!!:D..I recommend to you Speaker selector with Bypass and Volumen:rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You Can use a Speaker selector to attach your passive subwoofer along your Main speakers..You can find a lot on the Market..Obvious that your speakers and receiver will reduce the efficiency but You can try and take your desicion to keep or return. But The A/V receiver is totally protected.I have one Bass Bose Acoustimas 3 series conected to Mirage Main speakers and Tweeters and the sound for me is Great!!!:D..I recommend to you Speaker selector with Bypass and Volumen:rolleyes:
Three words: FIVE YEARS OLD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis