iPad will surpass Xbox 360 graphics in a year

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Fishlabs CEO: iPad and other “mobile devices” will surpass Xbox 360 graphics in a year

July 14th, 2010
By Nathan Grayson

Remember when you first booted up Tekken on your PlayStation One, and your eyes welled up with tears as you declared that graphics would never get any better than that? Remember when your PS2 – and even your itsy-bitsy PSP – none-too-gently booted your PS1 into the retirement home?
Well, according to mobile game dev Fishlabs CEO Michael Schade, the Xbox 360’s about to receive some similarly stiff competition – from the iPad, of all things.

“I think you can expect some time next year to have rendering capabilities on mobile devices superior to the Xbox 360,” Schade said during a Develop session entitled “Mobile becomes Console” – a phrase some of you might remember from Mark Rein’s pro-mobile comments last month.
“And I believe by the end of the year the ‘iDevices’ could have sold 120m copies, which puts them close to a par with the PS2’s 140m,” he added.

Fishlabs has developed ‘iDevice’ games like Rally Master Pro, Gladiator, and Galaxy on Fire.
Powerful as Xbox 360, he says? Well then, break out the popcorn, folks, because it looks like we’re in for a battle of the tiny titans. Taking all bets!

Source: VG247

It always amazes me the business model for gaming consoles - their 5+ year lifecycle and the requirement to sell them at a loss in order to win marketshare. I would alsmost rather a lesser-powered device that got updated every 3 years and which allowed the companies to make a profit. Problem is, people would flock to the greatest hardware, and the manufacturers know it.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
I would alsmost rather a lesser-powered device that got updated every 3 years and which allowed the companies to make a profit.
I'd support this as long as the games from previous hardware worked on the new hardware. But then again this is essentially what a computer does. Throw a 100$ gfx card into a 400$ bargain PC every 3 years.

I'm trying to think up a reason to defend the console format here but really drawing a blank other than the user friendliness.

Edit: As far as the iPad goes, to me it's just another over priced fashion accessory from Apple. Even if it were to have the "rendering capabilities" of a 360 I'd be willing to bet it never gets used.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
For me the iPad is nothing more than Bling, lets see where I should start how about price and HDD capacity:

Basic Models WiFi only

16GB $499

32GB $599

64GB $699

The price is over the top for their basic models and the limited HDD size can't be taken seriously. I know what people will say the PS3 and Xbox 360 had small HDD's when they were released, True but I could upgrade the HDD which you can't do with the iPad.

Upgraded Models WiFi + 3G

16GB $629

32GB $729

64GB $829

3G Monthly Plan

250MB/month $15

2GB/month $25

So cost is a big factor for a lot of people, with a console you feel like you get your money's worth. FWIW let's say the iPad will have graphics better than the 360 will that justify it's cost? IMO No.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
Reminds me of the tree int he forest...

If the ipad surpasses the 360 graphics, will anyone care?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
This is why I say no to consoles and yes to PC's.

I also say no to drugs.....most of the time....unless they are free. :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For me the iPad is nothing more than Bling, lets see where I should start how about price and HDD capacity:

Basic Models WiFi only

16GB $499

32GB $599

64GB $699

The price is over the top for their basic models and the limited HDD size can't be taken seriously. I know what people will say the PS3 and Xbox 360 had small HDD's when they were released, True but I could upgrade the HDD which you can't do with the iPad.

Upgraded Models WiFi + 3G

16GB $629

32GB $729

64GB $829

3G Monthly Plan

250MB/month $15

2GB/month $25

So cost is a big factor for a lot of people, with a console you feel like you get your money's worth. FWIW let's say the iPad will have graphics better than the 360 will that justify it's cost? IMO No.
Having tried out an Ipad I think it's an impressive piece of technology with potential. The first model has to include the cost of engineering which is very high these days. Give it 3 years and I suspect they will be much cheaper.

The Iphone is the best invention of the 21st century so far IMO. It stepped up the ball game for smart phones and has inspired the droid and blackberry upgrades. At the end of the day I see a battle between Google, Microsoft and Apple for fully integrated tech device capable of gaming, computing, streaming, and who knows what else. I can't imagine what we will see in the coming years. Motion control technology is probably the next big step. Play hockey on the Wii and you will understand what I mean. I find it exciting and welcome another competitor to the gaming market. It always leads to better things when we have competition.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I really hope motion control DOES NOT take over consoles.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I really hope motion control DOES NOT take over consoles.
I'd be surprised if it doesn't. I imagine they will have options to turn it off for a while though. Until the kids get to be our age. Of course that sucks for those of us that can school people in madden, but stink at real football do to terrible hand eye coordination.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Of course that sucks for those of us that can school people in madden, but stink at real football do to terrible hand eye coordination.
Hahahaha.....so your one of those people....I always knew there was something different about you. :)

I find it fun to play Wii when I go to a friends house every now and then and considered getting one to have for parties when I have people over but always ended up with a great big "meh, when am I ever gonna use it I already have so many electronics...".

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hahahaha.....so your one of those people....I always knew there was something different about you. :)

I find it fun to play Wii when I go to a friends house every now and then and considered getting one to have for parties when I have people over but always ended up with a great big "meh, when am I ever gonna use it I already have so many electronics...".
Rockband is the best game for parties IMO.

But yeah I can only see out of one eye at a time so basically I can't track a ball with my eyes. Which sucks for a guy who is sports mad. I loved playing basketball, but I still struggle to pick up a pass. Watching me play ping-pong is comical. Of course I'm not struggling in Greek like some of my friends. So I guess we all have different gifts.

K

kublakhan

Audiophyte
wait, wut?

For about 30 years now apple has ignored gamers (and let's face it, real computer enthusiasts), and more importantly gamers have ignored apple. There is 0% chance the ipad will attract gamers regardless of how much apple over-inflates it's supposed "capabilities", how much more they continue to spend on marketing over R&D, or how much more kool-aid steve jobs tells the apple-tards to drink. Spoiled 16-year-old girls just aren't the game manufacturer's target demographic.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For about 30 years now apple has ignored gamers (and let's face it, real computer enthusiasts), and more importantly gamers have ignored apple. There is 0% chance the ipad will attract gamers regardless of how much apple over-inflates it's supposed "capabilities", how much more they continue to spend on marketing over R&D, or how much more kool-aid steve jobs tells the apple-tards to drink. Spoiled 16-year-old girls just aren't the game manufacturer's target demographic.
The Iphone/ipad provide a good place for new developers to work on their skills. So I'd not scoff too much. I know plenty of folks getting their start in mobile gaming. Now where is my portable Wii.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
The ipad is an epic failure

Only 1 reason need be stated as to why the ipad is am epic failure. The battery is not removable, and begins to die after a few months of heavy use. Not to mention the price compared to performance. Just a complete turd all around. Just like all their products.

-Greg

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Only 1 reason need be stated as to why the ipad is am epic failure. The battery is not removable, and begins to die after a few months of heavy use. Not to mention the price compared to performance. Just a complete turd all around. Just like all their products.

-Greg
The batteries are crap in all of Apples portable products - the battery life on iPods really suck. IMO the iPod is some of the most overhyped and overpriced products in the portable market today. I have not used an iPad before so I can't really comment on that.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy

-Greg
Please enlighten us with all of Apples products that are turds as you put it. No wait let me help you. OS X (the best consumer OS), Macbooks ( great laptops and engineering), iPhone( best smart phone period ), Final Cut Studio ( top notch video editing software and used by many filmmakers in hollywood and abroad), Mac Pro's ( awesome video editing machines), Aperture ( one of the best if not the best digital photo management software there is ) Yeah all of Apples products are real turds:rolleyes:

I seriously doubt you have ever used anything by Apple.

Last edited:
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Please enlighten us with all of Apples products that are turds as you put it. No wait let me help you. OS X (the best consumer OS), Macbooks ( great laptops and engineering), iPhone( best smart phone period ), Final Cut Studio ( top notch video editing software and used by many filmmakers in hollywood and abroad), Mac Pro's ( awesome video editing machines), Aperture ( one of the best if not the best digital photo management software there is ) Yeah all of Apples products are real turds:rolleyes:

Compared to the competition, the ipad is garbage. Oh wait, what competition? :D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Compared to the competition, the ipad is garbage. Oh wait, what competition? :D
The iPad is what it is. It is certainly not garbage, and you either have use for it or you don't. If you do, it is probably great. I just don't see a need for myself, but my brother in law loves his, and he used to be a PC zealot.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic

You can doubt what I know and have experience with all you want. I can say from personal experience with apple products that they are marginal at best. I owned the original Iphone. After about 7 months of use the battery started to fail. I found out that the battery was built into the phone and could not be replaced. Needless to say, it soon ended up as a tenant of the nearest garbage can.
My room mate bought and Ipad when they were first released. Not more than 4 months later the battery is failing (only holds a charge for 35-40 Min.). I would hardly call either of these a quality product.

The new Iphone is another flop. Not soon after the release, They realized there was a huge problem. The aluminum case is connected to the antenna, and the simple act of holding the phone in your hand shorts the antenna and causes it to loose signal.
While we are on the Iphone, they use obsolete coding for their apps, causing app creators to jave to re learn old coding. Forcing use of apple only apps.

I have used mac computers, and find them to be less capable of easy upgrades. And performance wise you can build a cheaper "PC" with double the performance for the same price. They are more tailored and aimed at people who want a convenient plug and play package that is "cool" looking. These are usually the same people who purchase a bose system because it is just easier or TV told them to.

As for their video editing programs, I cannot speak as to their quality. I have no need for them, so I have no clue. But I very much that any major motion picture company used their software to edit movies. If there are instances I would very much like to hear of them.

I am not just trying to flame apple, I have just seen too many down sides to their products to have any faith in the quality of their future developments. I will say 1 thing in their defense. Apparently they don't have a completely flat learning curve, because they made the battery of the new Iphone removable. But the Droid X is a far superior phone, with a better carrier. So I have to disagree that the Iphone is the best. Just my opinion.

-Greg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis