And So It Begins... FCC Allows MPAA to Control Your TV

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
After years of wrangling with regulators at the FCC to allow retroactive disabling of analog HDTV outputs, the MPAA was finally able to convince the agency to allow them to SOC it to consumers. In violation of commonly accepted consumer rights, the FCC will now let Hollywood use Selectable Output Control (SOC) to retroactively disable any SDTV, HDTV, or other device that depends upon analog connections to view video over a red herring argument about preventing piracy.

Discuss "And So It Begins... FCC Allows MPAA to Control Your TV" here. Read the article.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I have long wondered if this move towards implementing various versions of HDMI by all equipment, allowing for back and forth communication, might not someday be used by media producers to restrict consumer rights as to what can be watched, where, how often, where, etc. I can see a day when if I buy a movie, even downloaded, whether I'll be able to bring it to someone's house and play it on their system.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I can see a day when if I buy a movie, even downloaded, whether I'll be able to bring it to someone's house and play it on their system.
Someone's else house?? Let me give you some of probable future "features" wet dreamed by MPAA:

Lite movie version: You buy the movie, but it can be played only on single tv's with less than 50" size on weekdays mornings and only for period of one month with no more of 5 viewers during single showing.

Oh yea - and each additional showing will cost you extra.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I have no doubt you're right. The more devices control and talk to each other, the easier it is to see politicians sliding a law through that turns on a bit, flag, or whatever that determines what your rights are. Kind of like Skynet, don't you think?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
can you imagine what this country would/will be like in 50 years ?

a coin slot on your toilet.
a toll booth at the end of your driveway.
a credit card reader on your tv.
etc, etc, etc ....

well, that is, IF you could afford any of those things ....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
After years of wrangling with regulators at the FCC to allow retroactive disabling of analog HDTV outputs, the MPAA was finally able to convince the agency to allow them to SOC it to consumers. In violation of commonly accepted consumer rights, the FCC will now let Hollywood use Selectable Output Control (SOC) to retroactively disable any SDTV, HDTV, or other device that depends upon analog connections to view video over a red herring argument about preventing piracy.

Discuss "And So It Begins... FCC Allows MPAA to Control Your TV" here. Read the article.
We need a concerted public push to ban all forms of DRM. Let the MPAA say they will never issue a movie for viewing outside the theater. Of course they will, and they will find they make more money from sales.

We need consumers and manufacturers to call the bluff of this perfectly vile Hollywood crowd.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It's ironic that as technology progresses, allowing more and more convenience to be incorporated into electronics and media, that industry insists on making it more and more inconvenient to enjoy those very same products.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis