IGN Review of God of War III

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PTOM gave it 5 stars but did say that the finale kind of didn't quite fit with the rest of the series. I haven't preordered it, but I will probably pick it up.

Last edited:
Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's out? Gonna have to visit one of my PS3-owning friends more often for a while. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just picked it up. Will post thoughts on it tomorrow.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Looking forward to reading your thoughts on GOWIII.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OK, couldn't wait that long. I just finished the first section against Poseidon and all I can say is the demo doesn't do the game justice AT ALL. This scale of things is massive, to the point that sometimes you almost can't even see Kratos. You are fully powered up from the start like the second game, so you have some abilities already, though it is still pretty much a training section to familiarize you. The dynamic camera is well implemented and the animation is absolutely stunning. The demo's quality concerned me, but there is no doubt that they've delivered on this one and it was worth the wait. That is just the first section....:eek:

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
OK, couldn't wait that long. I just finished the first section against Poseidon and all I can say is the demo doesn't do the game justice AT ALL. This scale of things is massive, to the point that sometimes you almost can't even see Kratos. You are fully powered up from the start like the second game, so you have some abilities already, though it is still pretty much a training section to familiarize you. The dynamic camera is well implemented and the animation is absolutely stunning. The demo's quality concerned me, but there is no doubt that they've delivered on this one and it was worth the wait. That is just the first section....:eek:
Maybe I shouldn't have read your post because now I am going tomorrow to pick-up my copy which I pre-ordered,I was going to pick it up this weekend but after what you said I can't wait thanks J.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I'm going to add on to John's thoughts, and repeat a few!! I've gotta speak about the scale again... it is INSANELY large. The dynamic camera is ridiculous... there's actually a part where you are controlling Kratos, but you are watching the action through the guy who you're kicking the crap out of... I've never seen something like that in a game before :eek:.

I've played a little past where John got to, so I can say that once you get past the "training" section at the start, you lose all of the power-ups and have to start from scratch. After the Poseidon section they send you down to Hades... I've played a couple sections of that so far, and I'm quite enjoying the gameplay and the puzzles.

My only gripe with the game is actually around the jumping controls. There are parts of Hades where you have to jump from platform to platform, but they require double jumps and then gliding with your wings. However, the timing required for these jumps is a bit too precise (these are not supposed to be challenging), and I ended up dying a couple times where I wasn't paying close enough attention. This isn't a major deal, especially since there are tons of checkpoints, but it annoys me to have to pay close attention to an action that should be relatively simple.

To end on a positive- the AQ is unreal. Strong base, good usage of surrounds, and they don't wash out the background noise just so you can hear the dialogue (e.g. you can hear the water rushing in the background when Poseidon is talking to you.).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I completed Hades and most of Helios last night and there are a lot of "wow" moments in the game. I noticed that they changed quite a bit from the demo - the scenes (once you exit Hades) are the same but the animations of the individual characters, and even how some of them look, are very different, in a good way. There is more detail and the animations are more fluid. The dynamic lighting is awesome in Hades as well as after you defeat Helios. The difficulty starts to ramp up pretty quick however you get new weapons and abilities pretty quick also. The Hades battle was awesome. When he talks, the bass is eerie; they gave the voice a secondary note (mid 20s?) that comes from everywhere and vibrates the room. The boss battles are pretty epic. The ones in Bayonetta are big, but these boss battles are jaw dropping visually, sonically and game play wise.

One thing I do notice, and it was the same in the previous game, that sometimes slogging through legions of enemies and even the sub-bosses are as tough as the bosses themselves. The combat system is not as slick as Bayonetta, but it does rely on your timing quite a bit in a similar fashion, meaning you can button mash for a while but certain enemies are smarter than that and require some strategy and well timed moves/defense.

This is why I game; for games like this one.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
By the way, inn the manual it states: if you use ANY costumes, trophies are deactivated. So if you are a trophy whore, you will want to play through once without the DLC costumes.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

For an even better sense of the ridiculous scale in the game, you must play the Cronus battle. Literally a constantly shifting battlefield where you are battling an object almost infinitely bigger than you are... to the point where there are times that Cronus fills the entire screen and Kratos is a half inch speck. Absolutely insane!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. All you can see is the glow of your weapons; you can't really make Kratos out. I am in the labyrinth and I expect I will finish the game today or tomorrow.

Nemo128

Nemo128

I'm truly aggrevated that I can't play this game.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I finished it on Sat. Now that I've finished it, I see what they are talking about. The ending isn't quite "satisfying". It completes the story, but the events at the end sort of make it feel still incomplete. Not in a "there will be a sequel" way, but just odd. Perhaps that has something to do with that web page with the water? It is still an epic game with a LOT of holy crap moments and definitely up there with the best. IMO it was better than the second game but not quite as good as the first and it fits right in with the feel and play. The combat is familiar but fresh with the new weapons and the weapons are more fun to use each of them compared to the previous ones. The weapons aren't tailored to specific enemies, but certain ones are better depending on the situation. A very fun game. Currently replaying on Titan.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Who's gonna lend me their PS3? Cuz I refuse to buy one!!!

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I finished it on Sat. Now that I've finished it, I see what they are talking about. The ending isn't quite "satisfying". It completes the story, but the events at the end sort of make it feel still incomplete. Not in a "there will be a sequel" way, but just odd. Perhaps that has something to do with that web page with the water? It is still an epic game with a LOT of holy crap moments and definitely up there with the best. IMO it was better than the second game but not quite as good as the first and it fits right in with the feel and play. The combat is familiar but fresh with the new weapons and the weapons are more fun to use each of them compared to the previous ones. The weapons aren't tailored to specific enemies, but certain ones are better depending on the situation. A very fun game. Currently replaying on Titan.
Completely agree on the ending. Finally got around to finishing it this afternoon. I thought the Zeus battle was a bit anti-climactic. Certainly challenging, but after the fights against Hades, Cronus, and Poseidon, I was a bit disapointed that they kept the scale so small and had you fight Zeus in such a small space.

Either way, I thought the game had some great puzzles, particularly the labyrinth, and I will be replaying.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I borrowed it from a friend and finished it in a couple of days. Bummer. The game's really short. I agree that the ending was a little flat. I was most impressed by the list of voice actors.

I heard Clancy Brown and Malcolm McDowell. I'm not sure about the other voice actors though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis