DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thenatinator

Junior Audioholic
I am a little confused not knowing who you are. Please write in a coherent matter why MLS is not evil. I think this man only cares about MONEY and ego but I am judging him not by what he says but by his actions. If you could let me know what actions you defend, please post them. I would change my mind if he made his finances public. This is not an extreme demand as most govt officials are required to do that. I certainly being in the public sector and having work for the govt have had to show my tax returns and other financial dealings to various authorities. MLS being transparent would be a great start.
In fairness he wrote this
"mls is the bad guy here.. not me, and not any of the other people who aren't screwing people out of hundreds of thousands of dollars and ripping off charities..."

I don't think he's defending mls at all. I think he's defending the people caught up in the middle here.....

M

myaudiocd

Enthusiast
he's pissed the community is mis-directing their anger at each other instead of the rightful target. i think it's not uncommon for that to happen, and i get his frustration. it's a worthy sentiment.
however, the tactics to bring this forward left a little to be desired.

C

conrack

Enthusiast
The noise to signal ratio gets pretty high sometimes. There seems to be a tendency to get off track. Then it becomes a cross-fire about whose opinion is more "right" (whatever that is.)

I come to these forums to learn more about what I love (music, electronics, speakers, etc) and become sad when I see the personal attacks among fellow enthusiasts.

I come to this thread to follow the info regarding the AV456 situation. Since I have a MFW and almost pulled the trigger on another one, I appreciate learning about what's going on.

For a long time I've wanted to give my .02 but I won't comment, because I'm afraid that no matter what I said, it wouldn't be "right enough" for someone.

I wonder how many other mostly lurkers like me are out there and are afraid to offer an opinion?

"Can't we all just get along?"
peace

C

Chungar

Audiophyte
The man ripped people off! Sorry if dogging on him saddens you. If retributions are made maybe they can get back to square one but with an asterisk. Kinda like McGwire and the home run title. This will follow mls for a very long time. Who would trust doing business with him at this point?

That's the message that anyone about to place an order should get!

M

mziegler

Audioholic
Is the man card really taken? Or, does one just lose the ability to pre-pay for their products?
Ah, the mysteries of life. Methinks we need to submit this question to one wiser than ourselves.

A

andy_c

Audioholic
For a long time I've wanted to give my .02 but I won't comment, because I'm afraid that no matter what I said, it wouldn't be "right enough" for someone.

I wonder how many other mostly lurkers like me are out there and are afraid to offer an opinion?
I'm only an occasional poster here, but I never had the feeling I was walking on eggs. My first post here was late last year, but at the time I had read the thread in its entirety, so my opinion was already pretty well formed.

There have been differing kinds of responses here and elsewhere from and about those who have had business relationships with MLS in the past though.

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I understand where you're coming from Conrack and I think it's kind of the same place that Steve_Vie (Matt) is also. This story is largely about Schifter and the raffles but all stories have subplots and stories within stories. This one is no different. While many are outraged over the raffles, others also have their own outrages that are apart from the raffles. For this is not just a matter of Schifter on one end and enthusiasts on the other. So, I'm going to tell two stories. I'm not going to give names so don't ask. The names may not be who you think they are anyways or there may be more than one.

First Story​

Schifter had many circles that surrounded him and his organization. There were the buyers who never were part of any forums. Mail order type folks if you will. There were casual buyers, active forum members, forum members that provided rationalizations for every misstep so Schifter didn't have to, and some forum members who were close enough to Schifter that they became privy to information. Sometimes it was accurate information and other times it was not so accurate. But this particular group was walking with two pairs of shoes - his and theirs - and in the aftermath there are folks questioning things like 'whose side were you on'?

There were folks who bought certain speakers on the promise that the line would be fleshed out in the near future. So, they bought a pair of mains and looked to eventually buy the intended center channel, rears, and even the matching sub. A review of AV451's various product lines will show that in many cases, the product life cycle was inordinately short and the promised surrounds, center channel, and subs never materialized. For those on a budget who looked to have a complete set as funds became available, they were SOL.

In situations such as I described there was never a shortage of the many faithful who would rationalize things. But there were also a few who were forum members and enthusiasts that also had the sort of access to Schifter that was unique. They'd have long personal conversations that spoke of AV451's business plans and at various GTG's around the country would be present at relatively private meetings. In these meetings matters such as the discontinuance of particular models would be discussed, the imminent parting of ways with old vendors, and future plans. Now, if you're at that meeting and even ones more private and restrictive, you know full well that those center channels, surrounds, and subs aren't going to be made. If you're also posting on the AV451 forums then a reasonable question might be what do you do when a person posts they've only got the money for so and so and plan on buying the rest later? If you look to guide them away from the purchase you're doing that person a favor. However, this runs the personal risk or consequence that you'll no longer be privy to inside information. If you stay quiet, you're a good corporate trooper, but are you an asset or a friend of the forum members?

Second Story​

Early on in my involvement in this clusterphuck, I was PM'd by an individual that more or less said I didn't know what I was talking about. That there was another side to the story or at least part of the story I was talking about and since I'd never had the sort of closeness they had with Schifter (meeting with him, talking on the phone, emailing, travelling to GTG's), I was speaking from ignorance. They offered me their phone number to discuss the matter more fully. Who that person was is not important nor will I discuss it publicly but what was said is IMO important.

The matter of Sean came up and his leaving the employ of AV451. I was informed that the reason Sean had left was because he was discharged. Fired if you will. As a result he was not entitled to any financial compensation for any sales he had made that were still pending. Once he left, whether it was because he quit, was canned, or just plain died, the efforts he had expended in making the sale and processing it were not going to result in a future check acknowledging his role. Also, with respect to Sean, I was told that the reason he was discharged was because he had developed a drug dependency that made him difficult to work with. He was said to be disruptive and was interfering in the proper performance of other employees as well as the organization as a whole. IOW, the reasons for his leaving was because he was a screwup.

This person also had some comments on the raffles and in particular those raffles that were intended to benefit a particular forum member. While he acknowledged that Schifter had indeed underfunded the particular cause, it was suggested that I should not be so hard on Mark and that the intended raffle recipient wasn't really that badly underfunded. The reason? Well, I was told that the raffle recipient had sold several AV451 products in the classified section over a period of time and it was Mark who was outright giving the products to this person so he could raise cash. IOW, Mark wasn't a total skunk and the raffle recipient ought to be grateful that Mark had reached out to him in this way.

All this may not help in justifying what people do. Or it may. But it may help in understanding matters and that this is not a simple issue if you're one of the people who straddled one side more than the other or who tried to straddle them both. So, there's going to be some arguing amongst people who were once friendly. Mark for sure has done some terrible things but there were a lot of stories being played on the sidelines that were making their way through the grapevine. As you can see from above, these weren't especially nice stories and they were fed and promulgated by people who still were drinking the Kool Aid at that time. So, if there's some shots being taken by people at other people, I understand there's still a lot of things that were and are still unsettling.

A

andy_c

Audioholic
Chu, one question that comes to mind is whether some or all of these claims were based on this person's firsthand experience, or were they just repeating the words of the Shifty one?

That's an important distinction I think. Even very cynical people will normally not assume somebody is lying to them unless they have a very good reason to assume that. So if some or all of these claims were lies, and this person repeated them, that makes the person repeating them a victim too, in a sense. And yet, if you were in a position of having repeated such things and found out they were false, wouldn't it be pretty hard to admit that? It would be for me. That's part of what makes pathological liars so damned evil.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Chu, one question that comes to mind is whether some or all of these claims were based on this person's firsthand experience, or were they just repeating the words of the Shifty one?

That's an important distinction I think. Even very cynical people will normally not assume somebody is lying to them unless they have a very good reason to assume that. So if some or all of these claims were lies, and this person repeated them, that makes the person repeating them a victim too, in a sense. And yet, if you were in a position of having repeated such things and found out they were false, wouldn't it be pretty hard to admit that? It would be for me. That's part of what makes pathological liars so damned evil.
In the former case (story) persons were present. In the latter, based on that person's conversations with the Shifty one. That story made it around to more than one person and I was one of them. So, they were firsthand accounts where Shifty was present either in person or over the phone. My retelling it I guess makes it second hand.

A

andy_c

Audioholic
In the former case (story) persons were present. In the latter, based on that person's conversations with the Shifty one.
Hmm. It's the latter case I was thinking about. Based on the "truth-challenged" nature of the Shifty one, it's hard to take those at face value at all - but it sounds like some people did, before the extent of the alleged misdeeds was really known.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm. It's the latter case I was thinking about. Based on the "truth-challenged" nature of the Shifty one, it's hard to take those at face value at all - but it sounds like some people did, before the extent of the alleged misdeeds was really known.
Well, to be fair, anything the Shifty one said needed to be taken with a grain of salt but given the events that transpired, there was more accuracy in the first story while the second, well, that was a convenient and self-serving way of looking at things that painted Shifty somewhat as the victim. Nonetheless, you can perhaps understand why there's rancor and animosity between people who were at one time closely knit and now find themselves taking various types of shots at each other from one website to another. There's a lot of stories within the raffle story and it'll take some time before folks find a way to work it all out.

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
Geez, my post to Steve Vai was deleted. Was it because I made fun of the silly
chicklet system, or was it the drug references?

Maybe I'll just go over and post it on the avXYZ forum. :D

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Now this is funny...

The thread is titled: A small look into the future...
Started by: MLS (a long time ago)

gkaste posted:

gkaste said:
A look into the future....

M

mziegler

Audioholic
Wow. And the guy who posted that has Rockets, and it was his 1000th post. Quite the anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis