Cerwinmad H/T -reloaded

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
had to repost as i deleted all my attachments!! so im now using photobucket. any way heres the setup. sounds great, awesome for movies. Upgraded to the Velodyne CHT-10R as the VE-28s i had was a dud. Cerwin VE-12 300w fronts, VE-5M 125w surrounds, VE-5C 150w center. Onkyo TX-SR503 Receiver-7.1c, 130w x 7. Pioneer DV-490V DVD, PS2.

http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/robssei/Home theatre/

Last edited:
cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys

Im lucky in that although its the family room, i get free reign from the wife to set it up how i want. Im actully amazed how much deeper and more refined the velodyne is over the VE-28s twin 8" sub i had. the little bugger puts out some great bass and hits low enough to get that feel but cant hear bass. i love it. i was sceptical at first as i had had the cerwin sub develop a crackling noise repeatedly, the first three times they fixed it blaming the amp assembly, the fourth time they replaced it (about three months ago) and then two weeks ago, lo and behold the new one does it too!!! i said to the cerwin rep i was not having another VE-28s, and i wanted a different sub. i was offered the choice of a B&W 8" or the VE-28 again. then the shop i got the system from felt bad and offered me the velodyne. i kinda thought "will this handle" i am glad i did. i love it quite loud and this thing surpasses the cerwin in every way. seems to respond better to my settings too. i have it crossed over at 60hz , with the mains set to large (due too the 12" drivers in the fronts-dont want too let them starve!!) and the internal crossover on the sub bypassed (direct setting). with the front 12s going and this i get huge bass. on movies the mains reach suprisingly low, and the excursion is awesome!!. i really want the CHT-15R now for overkill lol

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
more pics

heres a few with new sub,
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
few more, i have set the crossover to 80Hz now to relieve the surrounds and center a bit, they are rated to 60 hz but 80Hz seemed an overall cleaner sound.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
heres an update, shifted listening position of chair. no longer sitting in a null.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
?? do you feel your Onkyo gives youe CV enough kick?

Nice setup.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
It does give them a decent kick, i can get deafening volume but i am wanting to get an amp such as the XPA-5 to give them a boost. overall im very happy. my next upgrade aim is the screen, want a full HD LCD of at least 42" in the next year. the 32" samsung is 1080i capable but i dont have bluray yet. it looks stunning with my DVD on progressive, so i look forward to trying it with a 720p or 1080i signal. i will keep the tv even when i upgrade as i think HDTV CRTs are getting rare!!

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Update-New house, New Room setup

Hey guys, we moved recently to a larger house and therefore got to setup in a new room (fun and frustrating at the same time!) I am really pleased with the new room, with hardwood floors, i was worried about the sound been harsh, but it is really nice, and the bass response is amazing!! my old living room had very thin walls and vibrated ALOT, this new room is solid, and has large rounded architraves witch help alot i think. low end bass is very full but not muddy, which im very happy with as im a bass head :D anyway, heres some pics, enjoy!!

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
heres some with covers on

One of the best bits on the new place-DIMMERS

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Oh yeah

Also about 3 months ago got MySky HDI sat TV, pause/rewind/record TV etc, plus digital sound output which is great for channels broadcasting in dolby digital. It has HD component and HDMI output. My samsung widescreen HDcrt (1080I) only has component input, one set for HD inputs (476P and up) and another for SD inputs. I was getting HD via HD component out, which looked FANTASTIC on the CRT screen, but due to no HDMI input i could only get sport channels in HD, movies and other HD channels needed HDCP reply, which the component out didnt do, and therefore reverted to SD, which the input wouldnt accept and put a blue screen up. I was constantly having to switch out put settings when changing channels :mad: . anyway, until i can find some thing to convert HDMI to component and disable HDCP, im on SD, which is still great on the CRT. the features such as series link, and recording 2 channels at once while watching a third etc are great, dont know how i went without it!!

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I find your speaker layout some what confusing. Are you running a separate 5.1/2.1 set up there?

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
No, its a 5.1 system, due to placement constraint, i have to have the screen in the corner. after much experimentation, the current placement yielded best results. even with the center "off center" it works well, and movie effects such as a passing helicopter etc sound perfect. I could put the fronts either side of the screen on opposing walls to bring the center midfield again, but the sound was poor, and there was cancellation of some bass and mid. with the current placement, the bass response is fantastic, with really low bass strong and deep, but defined even with low volume. I have tried many rooms and positions, and this current setup is the best ive heard it. :)

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Update

Well i had my center above the tv in the corner, too one side of the fronts, and hoped it wouldnt upset the sound balance much, which on drama movies etc it was ok. But on any action movie with alot of surround material, the sound of something pasing from left too right or vice versa was muddled as the center was not in its correct position. So i have moved the screen and center to the middle position between the fronts, something i didnt want to do due too it blocking a large window, and the sound is back to been balanced. I was prepared to put up with the sound discrepency but after a few movies and realising that to spend alot of money on a system and not have it set up correctly was stupidity, i shifted things around. heres some pics of the current position.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
That arrangement will certainly help your front stage immensely. Now you should consider moving your surrounds back farther so that they are to each side, but slightly behind your listening postion. From your picture it looks like you have them too far up front.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Yes, i have got them forward from the ldeal position, im just got to get a little more speaker cable to extend them, the right one will be just behind me on the side and the left will be similar. hoping to get around to it today!!:)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
that looks TONS BETTER ! i would raise up the mains a little.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Hi guys, I have relocated the surrounds to each corner just to the side, slightly behind me. this is the first time i have been able to have the surrounds correctly placed in the new house, i had to live with them too far forward for awhile. definitely worth getting the placement right. I listen to music using DTS neo 6 music or the Onkyo surround setting "studio mix" as i like the way it fills the room and you are surrounded in music, I know the stereo purists will hate me lol. i do occasionally use the Pure direct setting and it is suprising how articulate the VE-12's can actually be. I have been looking for a high power stereo amp to run them 2 channel as i know they can really open up, the Onkyo is great and really gets them going with 130w p/c, and sounds great, but i have seen a few guys 300 - 500w per channel amps and they are awesome! the onkyo can get them moving but will begin to distort before reaching the speakers potetial. i have found an amp, its rated at 600w per channel @ 4 ohms, i just have to haggle with the guy!! really though i want to get one of the higer level onkyo recievers, last one i saw (805-6?) was rated @ 160w x 7. :)

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Hi guys, I have relocated the surrounds to each corner just to the side, slightly behind me. this is the first time i have been able to have the surrounds correctly placed in the new house, i had to live with them too far forward for awhile. definitely worth getting the placement right. I listen to music using DTS neo 6 music or the Onkyo surround setting "studio mix" as i like the way it fills the room and you are surrounded in music, I know the stereo purists will hate me lol. i do occasionally use the Pure direct setting and it is suprising how articulate the VE-12's can actually be. I have been looking for a high power stereo amp to run them 2 channel as i know they can really open up, the Onkyo is great and really gets them going with 130w p/c, and sounds great, but i have seen a few guys 300 - 500w per channel amps and they are awesome! the onkyo can get them moving but will begin to distort before reaching the speakers potetial. i have found an amp, its rated at 600w per channel @ 4 ohms, i just have to haggle with the guy!! really though i want to get one of the higer level onkyo recievers, last one i saw (805-6?) was rated @ 160w x 7. :)
That's good to know. I'd wager your listening experience has improved considerably.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis