Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I should have looked, since I remember it being printed on each one, but I don't remember what it said.
Not a big deal, It just goes to show how these companies use such low grade thermal paste on consoles.....wait these things do so much more than just play games so maybe calling them consoles don't do them justice. The PS3 and 360 are more powerful than any console from previous generations,so why is it ok to use cheap thermal paste on their CPU's and GPU's, when they are far more powerful and need to dissipate far more heat than before.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not a big deal, It just goes to show how these companies use such low grade thermal paste on consoles.....wait these things do so much more than just play games so maybe calling them consoles don't do them justice. The PS3 and 360 are more powerful than any console from previous generations,so why is it ok to use cheap thermal paste on their CPU's and GPU's, when they are far more powerful and need to dissipate far more heat than before.
Because it is part of a manufacturing process that tries to save every penny because that translates into bottom line profit. These companies don't manufacture these things en mass, someone else does for them. Though they have control over it, the QC is generally done by these contract manufacturers and as such, may not always be perfect. I've been in the industry for many years and I have worked with the very same CMs that do this for Sony and Microsoft. The 360s are/were built just a few miles from my house for years, as were the PS2s. I don't think they do the PS3 here though.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I kept all the band-aid things. They're in my computer tool case. I'll take a picture of them if you want, they're funny.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Because it is part of a manufacturing process that tries to save every penny because that translates into bottom line profit. These companies don't manufacture these things en mass, someone else does for them. Though they have control over it, the QC is generally done by these contract manufacturers and as such, may not always be perfect. I've been in the industry for many years and I have worked with the very same CMs that do this for Sony and Microsoft. The 360s are/were built just a few miles from my house for years, as were the PS2s. I don't think they do the PS3 here though.
I don't know about the 360 but the PS3 was sold at a loss for each console so using a higher grade thermal paste wouldn't have add that much more to the loss. To your point of the bottom line they could have cut out the the ability of installing another OS and left off the card reader since IMO these two features are pointless, I don't know to many gamers who use these features. I have installed Linux on the PS3 not because I need to just because I could, but I could have done without it.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just saw a press release from Sony. It said, and I quote:

"PS3 sucks".

:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know about the 360 but the PS3 was sold at a loss for each console so using a higher grade thermal paste wouldn't have add that much more to the loss. To your point of the bottom line they could have cut out the the ability of installing another OS and left off the card reader since IMO these two features are pointless, I don't know to many gamers who use these features. I have installed Linux on the PS3 not because I need to just because I could, but I could have done without it.
They were losing money on them the first two years; they aren't anymore now with the new lower cost cell. They DID cut out the additional features that they originally thought people would want that would allow it to be around a lot longer, but they were wrong. People wanted a lower price and that is what we have now with the Slim.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
And still with the Slim they use cheap thermal paste which dries out in a year and is applied wrong, I have cracked open my brother in law's Slim because he was telling me the fan was kicking in within five minutes of playing a game. So I took this bad boy apart and sure enough the paste was dry and caked on, there was enough on the chips to do another two sets of chips.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis