what is a good amp to power cerwin vega's?

D

dom08

Enthusiast
what is a good amp to power these speakers? VS 150; they have a 15inch driver in them...
what is the best way of running them? 2 channel or a mono?? how many watts would they require?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
They are rated for between 5 and 400 watts with a sensitivity of 102 db.

Don't they have power ratings on their backs?

CV speakers are incredibly efficient so they can be powered with low powered amps but can handle gobs of power and get extremely loud. They can handle lots of power but may not sound great doing so.

They are known as "frat house" speakers and 100 watts should make your ears bleed.

One speaker is mono. Two is stereo. More than two is multi-channel.

Last edited:
6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
A lot of guys prefer tube amps with their Klipsch speaks. Would probably make a good match with your CVs too.

D

dom08

Enthusiast
thanks alot guys
i checked out the back it only says 4 ohmz....
i am running a harman kardon avr 354, it gets good sound to them but only when it is 3/4 turned up, i want to get the sub to pound at a lower volume, so have 3/4 the power only when the receiver is turned 1/4 the way.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
you don't have a sub. You have a woofer.

But, to get what you want, just get the biggest, baddest amplifier you can find that will handle a four ohm load when pushed hard.

Remember, those puppies can absorb up to 400 watts! ...and start looking for a good audiologist.

D

dom08

Enthusiast
My brother inlaw is bringing over his bryston 4b sst pro amp, going to hook that baby up and see how it does.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
My brother inlaw is bringing over his bryston 4b sst pro amp, going to hook that baby up and see how it does.
Oh, we know what it's going to do. Hearing protection recommended ;-)

S

swingin

Enthusiast
what is a good amp to power these speakers? VS 150; they have a 15inch driver in them...
what is the best way of running them? 2 channel or a mono?? how many watts would they require?
I got a behringer EP2500 powering my AT-15s at 4ohms, decent price and seem to work well.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
i have one word to say:

Sweeeeet:cool:

P.S: I LOVE BEING DEAF!!!
I can assure you that you will not love it so much when you are an older gentleman trying your hardest to appreciate good quality sound in your HT and all you hear is constant ringing in your ears, it sucs more than any thing you could imagine, everyday , everynight, it never sleeps. Take care of your self now by using common sense when it comes to your ears, you can enjoy this hobby without destroying your hearing, ;)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
When I was running CV's (D-5's & then AT-12's) all I had them hooked up to was a HK6500 integrated amp...65 watts per channel...very loud.

Still have them all upstairs...I should refoam them...maybe.

D

dom08

Enthusiast
THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!!

well i wasnt THAT impressed, but it was impressive.
The sound was much more clear. Crisp and loud. The 15" bounced more but didnt sound like it pounded but not much more than it did before.
i guess a 15" isnt for the "boom boom" its more of a "rumble".

we ran 1 amp for both speakers, than we bridged the connection (1 amp 1 speaker).

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!!
we ran 1 amp for both speakers, than we bridged the connection (1 amp 1 speaker).
I just have to ask why? You weren't even using probably 10 watts continuous with the Bryston in stereo. Bridging them is fine, but you're still using the same 10 watts continuous (perhaps 100 watts on transients).

Did you see the two red lights when you had it in stereo?

thanks alot guys
i checked out the back it only says 4 ohmz....
i am running a harman kardon avr 354, it gets good sound to them but only when it is 3/4 turned up, i want to get the sub to pound at a lower volume, so have 3/4 the power only when the receiver is turned 1/4 the way.
That 15" driver is not a sub. It's just a slightly larger than usual woofer; you could throw all the watts a Motorhead concert has at them and it still won't go any deeper than it does with your Harmon Kardon.

Last edited:
D

dom08

Enthusiast
I just have to ask why? You weren't even using probably 10 watts continuous with the Bryston in stereo. Bridging them is fine, but you're still using the same 10 watts continuous (perhaps 100 watts on transients).

Did you see the two red lights when you had it in stereo?

That 15" driver is not a sub. It's just a slightly larger than usual woofer; you could throw all the watts a Motorhead concert has at them and it still won't go any deeper than it does with your Harmon Kardon.

what do you mean not putting continuous watts with the bryston? with 2 channel it can give out 300W. What did we do wrong??

so if the 15" driver doesnt take the low frequencies in like a sub does than what is it for exactly?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Again, you don't have a subwoofer. You have a woofer.

A woofer goes down fairy low in the frequency range, but not that low in the overall scheme of things.

A SUBwoofer goes lower than a woofer.

Ergo, the name SUBwoofer.

You can throw all the watts in the world at those speakers but that's not gonna make them go any lower than the source contains or what they were designed to go.

Plus, most music doesn't contain too much that calls for aSUBwoofer anyway.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
So it sounds like you just keep you current setup and add a sub to the system.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
what do you mean not putting continuous watts with the bryston? with 2 channel it can give out 300W. What did we do wrong??

so if the 15" driver doesnt take the low frequencies in like a sub does than what is it for exactly?
You didn't do anything wrong. The amount of power the amp can produce is one thing. What your speakers demand for power is another.

Your CV's can only use about 10W continuous, and 100W for brief fractions of a second during the time they are using 10W all the time. If that much ... it's probably less, actually. But, in my experience, any amplifier that can produce 100Wpc into 4 ohms is all you need for those particular speakers. The speakers will never demand more than that from the amplifier, so that's all the amp has to deliver.

You could hook it up to an amp that produces a million watts ... still going to only be able to use 100. No getting around that. They go so loud with so much power, and adding power doesn't change that. It's simply unused power.

On the Bryston 4BSST there are two green lights on the front panel. Those lights turn red when you clip the amplifier (ie run out of power). That means if you can't get them to turn red in stereo, going to mono isn't going to solve anything.

If you just see them briefly flash red but stay mostly green, that means you are just barely getting them to use all the available power in transients ... those brief periods I talked about. The continuous demand is typically about 10x less.

With 4 ohm speakers, like your CV's, the 4BSST will produce at least 500W RMS. Bridged into Mono it will produce more than 1000W.

So, with your speakers, a brief flash of the red in stereo means you are using about 500W for brief fractions of a second, and about 50W all the time (continuously). Obviously, you were nowhere near using 50W continuously.

Therefore, since your speakers can't even handle all 500W, there's no point in trying a thousand. That's what I was getting at.

By the way, if you do try to run them harder than they normally demand, they will just blow up. Don't bother trying. You've experienced as loud as they will go, because you used an amp that has more than enough power. They won't go louder no matter what you do.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis