Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I would like to start this thread for PS3 owners who have issues with their PS3. I call upon PS3 owners to list the issues they have with the PS3 like games freezing, controllers not syncing, firmware issues and so on. My hope is that PS3 owners will offer help to other owners to fix these minor issues so we don't have to send it back to Sony unless absolutely necessary.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
PS3 Recovery Menu to Fix Disk Read Error.

If you are experiencing disk read error which might be a software issue give this method a try.

If the disk read error is due to an hardware issue give this a try.

Only use these methods once the manufactures warranty has expired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Back when I first bought my PS3 I ended up having to return it within a few days because there was something wrong with the fan mechanism - it kept shutting down on over temp. Brought the new one back home after the exchange, hooked it up and for the most part have been very happy (knock on wood). Haven't had any issues at all to speak of.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
How's it going Halon, when you say faulty fan mechanism was the fan not turning on?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
How's it going Halon, when you say faulty fan mechanism was the fan not turning on?
That's correct - I guess (without really delving into specific technical manuals on this product) that there is a thermal sensor much like that in your car's cooling system that will turn the fan on at a certain temp to cool the system. This was not taking place. So either faulty fan, or faulty sensor, etc. Either way, the fan wouldn't come on and it would be too hot and shut itself off.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's correct - I guess (without really delving into specific technical manuals on this product) that there is a thermal sensor much like that in your car's cooling system that will turn the fan on at a certain temp to cool the system. This was not taking place. So either faulty fan, or faulty sensor, etc. Either way, the fan wouldn't come on and it would be too hot and shut itself off.
With my 60G, the fan spools up when you turn it on, but the unit shuts down before you can do anything.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
With my 60G, the fan spools up when you turn it on, but the unit shuts down before you can do anything.
I see you now have the slim model PS3 as well. Do those run a bit cooler/quieter in your opinion as I've heard? Have also read/heard that there are some HDMI compatibility or handshake issues with the newer models and some AVR's, but that's wholly unverified by my accounts.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I see you now have the slim model PS3 as well. Do those run a bit cooler/quieter in your opinion as I've heard? Have also read/heard that there are some HDMI compatibility or handshake issues with the newer models and some AVR's, but that's wholly unverified by my accounts.
The handshake issue for the Slim was due to firmware,which was the claim which should has been addressed by now,, now as for the Slim running cooler/quieter than the fat it seems to depend on individual consoles from both lines. here is a link to compare fan noise between the 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zquzx5-rHk8

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The fan is noticeably quieter than the fat, but it isn't totally silent. It seems to come on less with the Slim vs Fat in my setup and I have in the exact same spot. I have not had any handshake issues with the Slim, but I also updated it to 3.15 the day I hooked it up.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
The fan is noticeably quieter than the fat, but it isn't totally silent. It seems to come on less with the Slim vs Fat in my setup and I have in the exact same spot. I have not had any handshake issues with the Slim, but I also updated it to 3.15 the day I hooked it up.
I figured that was mostly a firmware issue that would be quickly resolved, and looks like with version 3.15 it is. I guess as long as my old fat boy keeps running smoothly I've no reason to upgrade, but do wish they had given a little more priority to SACD compatibility on these things... :(

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
YLOD is one of the few times I would suggest to pay Sony to fix it, or if your into DIY and can handle a Heat Gun here's a video on how to fix YLOD.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
It seems that some people are having issues with the Netflix disc, the PS3 for some reason is having trouble reading it for some or it will read the disc but the screen will stay black. Any of you guys have this issue with the disc and if so have you been able to find a solution to this problem.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I would like to start this thread for PS3 owners who have issues with their PS3. I call upon PS3 owners to list the issues they have with the PS3 like games freezing, controllers not syncing, firmware issues and so on. My hope is that PS3 owners will offer help to other owners to fix these minor issues so we don't have to send it back to Sony unless absolutely necessary.
I Googled "best ps3 sites" and came up with this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=best+ps3+sites&aq=0m&oq=PS3+sites&aqi=g-m1

I have been to a few and I know some get into PS3 problems and fixes. Worth a try!

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Just found this video and thought this might be an issue.:D

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Heh, my fat 40gb has been perfect since day one. Bought the extended warranty on it just in case, and of course, I don't need it :p
At least it was a good warranty in my book.

The SixAxis on the other hand though, I've dealt with one problem now, TWICE.
The L2/R2 trigger springs break rather easily. The R2 broke within a week of playing GTA, and I did not want to return the controller to the store, because it was still good, except for the spring.

About a week ago, the L2 was bad, and I had to replace it.
I don't know if I posted on here how to fix it, but I may have to if it becomes a more pronounced problem.

ScottWChicago

ScottWChicago

Audioholic Intern
PS3 Just Died. Looks like the blue ray drive went out again

Error code was 80010514. Funny, That is the one they reference on the sony website for errors. I had it fixed when still under warranty

PS3 80G MGS4

I had just bought uncharted 2 and was on the first level when it froze.

they want $149+shipping (179) to fix the issue. I am going to search around for where to buy the new blue ray module and try and fix it my self.

If that does not work it looks like they are coming out with a new slim soon based on the FCC filing I read about yesterday.

Thanks for the video links, I thought it might work, but it did not.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis