Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I waited all morning for the Vine newsletter to come out, then I didn't pull the trigger on a wireless keyboard and mouse when I saw it. I hesitated, and the holiday "oh, look - it's free s**t" frenzy snatched them all up.

Then, I came back here and missed when they added some stuff to the list.

Oh, well...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It is amazingly windy here right now.

Well, off to the grocery store. I might just make me some homemade guacamole or salsa tonight using the new molcajete.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It is amazingly windy here right now.

Well, off to the grocery store. I might just make me some homemade guacamole or salsa tonight using the new molcajete.
Don't forget to add a little rum. It is Christmas ya know.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Pound some back for me. I don't drink, so I need someone to do it for me.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I'm about to try some homemade guacamole. This recipe looks pretty difficult to mess up.

I'll let you know how bad it turns out...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Can you SMELLLLL...

what the Audioholic is cookin'?! :D

The guacamole turned out awesome. Light, flavorful, and delicious. Served with all natural corn chips, and it was a winner.

That was followed up by a grilled turkey wrap:

Then, some milk and vanilla ice cream. After walking Niki, it was time to partake of some holiday cheer. :)

(My second glass looked even better. ;))

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
The guacamole looks good. Typically I follow a more traditional Mexican (like this recipe) route with avocado, garlic lime and salt, maybe garnished with cilantro. Sometimes I hit it with a little Tex-Mex flavor adding red onion, tomato, Serrano and cilantro.

What made you decide to buy a Molcajete?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Adam,

That whole set up looks good. I'm diggin' the stainless everywhere. There hardly seems like enough food though. Was that like an appetizer? :D

EDIT: If that was all there was to eat, I'd be drinking too ... trying to forget that I'm starving.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The guacamole looks good. Typically I follow a more traditional Mexican (like this recipe) route with avocado, garlic lime and salt, maybe garnished with cilantro. Sometimes I hit it with a little Tex-Mex flavor adding red onion, tomato, Serrano and cilantro.

What made you decide to buy a Molcajete?
Thanks, Andrew! I might venture into the fancy next time, but I went with a recipe with a small list of ingredients this time (keep in mind, I'm not the cook that you are!). I'm going to try some salsa tomorrow or Thursday, and I did get garlic and lime for that. I'll need to figure out how to use my broiler, though... :)

I bought the molcajete because I bought grout cleaner. Huh, what? Oh, yeah - there's a short story. The grout cleaner was up for Amazon's 4-for-3 promotion, so I looked for other stuff that was eligible. I've watched Rick Bayless on PBS a number of times, and when I saw the molcajete, I was quite intrigued.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam,

That whole set up looks good. I'm diggin' the stainless everywhere. There hardly seems like enough food though. Was that like an appetizer? :D

EDIT: If that was all there was to eat, I'd be drinking too ... trying to forget that I'm starving.
Thanks, man! I cleaned off the countertop earlier today to take pictures of the panini grill for an Amazon review, so I was able to do some pics for here. The only stainless that I have in the kitchen are the three things that you see. :D I do sure like them, though. I don't plan on getting stainless appliances, though, because the fingerprints would drive me nuts.

I ate the guac with chips, had the wrap, and gooned (to steal your term :)) some milk and ice cream. I was actually quite full afterwards. Sure, I might eat some more later, but I'm doing okay for now. That's a four-cup bowl in the picture. It was one full avacado, with just a small amount of the other ingredients.

Dang this beer tastes good after not having anything for two or three days. :D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, Andrew! I might venture into the fancy next time, but I went with a recipe with a small list of ingredients this time (keep in mind, I'm not the cook that you are!). I'm going to try some salsa tomorrow or Thursday, and I did get garlic and lime for that. I'll need to figure out how to use my broiler, though... :)
Sounds good, what are you roasting for the salsa?

I bought the molcajete because I bought grout cleaner. Huh, what? Oh, yeah - there's a short story. The grout cleaner was up for Amazon's 4-for-3 promotion, so I looked for other stuff that was eligible. I've watched Rick Bayless on PBS a number of times, and when I saw the molcajete, I was quite intrigued.
Makes sense, his show is good as I are his restaurants.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds good, what are you roasting for the salsa?
I'll have to check the recipe again, but the tomatoes and garlic, for sure. It said to roast them, then peel them. I think that the jalapenos are roasted, too, but I can't quite remember.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I'll have to check the recipe again, but the tomatoes and garlic, for sure. It said to roast them, then peel them. I think that the jalapenos are roasted, too, but I can't quite remember.
Sounds about right. Make sure to char them well (rotating them as they blacken) and put the rack as close to the broiler as possible.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds about right. Make sure to char them well (rotating them as they blacken) and put the rack as close to the broiler as possible.
Huh. Now I need to Google "broiler." :eek:

Back off. Home Ec. was a LONG time ago. :D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Huh. Now I need to Google "broiler." :eek:

Back off. Home Ec. was a LONG time ago. :D
I'll need to figure out how to use my broiler, though... :)
You used the term! There is probably a broil button on your oven. The broiler is physically at the top of your oven (or should be), either a heating element that gets red hot if your oven is electric or an open flame if your oven is gas. Position your oven rack at its highest point and put the pan with the items you want to roast on that. When the tomatoes or chiles char rotate until it is black all over. Remove the skin after they have cooled and you are good to go.

Here is a primer on roasting peppers/chiles over an open flame. The same idea applies with tomatoes, but you do it in an oven. If you want you can do pretty much anything over a broiler, it isn't exactly the same, but it is less work. A little trick - you can roast peppers well ahead of time and even freeze them, just don't peel until they have defrosted. The chared layer will protect them from freezer burn. That is how I keep my Hatch chile fix year round.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You used the term!
I know the term, but when you said "as close to the broiler as possible," I figured that I better research that a bit. I think that the broiler on my gas stove is at the bottom, and I wouldn't know how to get any closer to anything because I think that it's just a drawer. Yeah, the broiler is my kitchen kryptonite, and I know how ignorant this sounds. I'd Google it before responding, but where's the fun in that? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis