j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've got the flashing red light deal. It will come on and stay on for a little while, but it will eventually shut off on its own with a flashing red light. Looks like I will have to send it in for service. I'm going to go see if there are any deals on the Slim right now though. I know someone who bought their 60G at the same time and I don't think he even uses it anymore; I might see if he wants to sell it to me.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the world of console failures, they are not fun :mad:. Have you googled the symptoms your PS3 is experiencing so you have an idea of what is wrong with it? If you plan on getting it serviced it will probably cost over a $100.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Based on the flashing lights it means something inside is damaged and needs to be sent in. Not good news. My files are all there, becasue when it boots because I can see everything.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That sucks, why can't they just make them to last a longer for those of us who don't abuse our gaming systems? There are plenty of senseless game system damages caused by not taking care of stuff, but random breakdowns aren't fair!

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Well, if you are in the market for a used PS3 I am willing to cut a deal. Just let me know. I would think the best investment would just to have this one fixed though. Good luck.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard there are a number of units out there working except for a broken BlueRay reader. Perhaps buy one and move your (hopefully good) reader into it? Seems cheap.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$150 flat rate to repair or replace from Sony, so that is what I am going to do.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That does suck donky dust man. So sorry. Hope you get it back ASAP.

(afraid to turn mine on now for fear of the dreaded red light)

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
That is a true bummer man. I have a 60 gig launch system also and I've actually been buying more games for it than my 360. I really hope they get it back to you in a reasonable amount of time.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to hear that John.

The fan on mine drives me nuts. I wonder what Sony would charge me to swap the original 15 blade fan for the 19 blade fan? I only saw one video on how to do it on YouTube and it seemed like MAJOR surgery. Apparently the fan is under just about everything, you have to disconnect the mother board. :eek:

By the way the dude that shot that video sounded like a complete moron. Maybe English isn't his first language.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In the last few days prior to this happening, I noticed that my fan was running louder, so either the fan was having an issue or the unit was getting too hot. Something must have shorted out because my Panamax clicks when this thing shuts off.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry to hear that John.

The fan on mine drives me nuts. I wonder what Sony would charge me to swap the original 15 blade fan for the 19 blade fan? I only saw one video on how to do it on YouTube and it seemed like MAJOR surgery. Apparently the fan is under just about everything, you have to disconnect the mother board. :eek:

By the way the dude that shot that video sounded like a complete moron. Maybe English isn't his first language.
I don't know man. You and I both know folks that talk like that. I don't think changing the fan would be that hard, but why?

What is the difference between the 2? I doubt it's that significant.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
In the last few days prior to this happening, I noticed that my fan was running louder, so either the fan was having an issue or the unit was getting too hot. Something must have shorted out because my Panamax clicks when this thing shuts off.
Hardware failures are quite common with overheating. Did they say you will get the same one back or give you some one elses refurbished?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They said repair or replace, so no guarantee that it will be the same physical unit, but it should still be a 60G model with the same features. They also said that the HDD would likely be reformatted, so I am going to drop the original drive in there and keep my 250G so that I can drop it into whatever I end up with. I already went online and disabled my account and changed my password per their recommendation.

It still boots up though, and the fan makes noise, so I wonder what exactly is wrong with it? It runs for a few minutes, I can log in browse, launch games or video, and then it shuts off.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
They said repair or replace, so no guarantee that it will be the same physical unit, but it should still be a 60G model with the same features. They also said that the HDD would likely be reformatted, so I am going to drop the original drive in there and keep my 250G so that I can drop it into whatever I end up with. I already went online and disabled my account and changed my password per their recommendation.

It still boots up though, and the fan makes noise, so I wonder what exactly is wrong with it? It runs for a few minutes, I can log in browse, launch games or video, and then it shuts off.
I assume you've tried a hard factory reset.

Without dissecting the system You'd be hard pressed to find the issue. Most issues are software related. So a system format might fix the issue as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tried all their troubleshooting, but even without doing any of that, it already says based on the color flashing that I'm getting it needs to be sent in.

I found a guy selling a slim for $250 shipped.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw this and it sounds like what is happening to mine, so there is a good chance it was the 3.01 firmware that killed my system:

Forums and blogs across the internet are abuzz with reports that the newest PS3 update has broken the system, rendering the Blu-ray drive unusable.

The long awaited 3.0 firmware update for the Playstation 3 integrated a wide variety of improvements, such as upgraded friends lists, trophy sharing, and a bit more personalization. Unfortunately, it also appears to have caused some problems with the Blu-ray drive.

Customers are reporting that both games and Blu-ray discs will play fine for around ten minutes and then just freeze up. The increasingly common story is echoed by countless posters on the Playstation blog such as JohnnyAstro who says that he “upgraded to 3.01 3 days ago, and in the middle of playing a game a day later, the game locked up, and that was it. The drive cannot recognize any disc now. Tried putting in games, Blu-ray movies and DVD’s. Nothing.”

Reportedly, Sony customer service is stating that this is likely a coincidental hardware issue, and customers are being asked to pay $150 for repairs on their systems. While this issue does appear to be widespread, it definitely isn’t happening to every system. If you’re using your PS3 as a Blu-ray player though, it may be wise to avoid the update until this all gets straightened out.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/PS3/Sony/PS3s_Reportedly_Not_Playing_Blu-ray_Discs_after_Firmware_Update/3517

Glocks pointed out previously that this update was not a mandatory one, but I usually keep on top of them so I installed it manually. Let this be a warning!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis