Paradigm PBK-1 Subwoofer "Room Correction"

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Well, at the risk of being hypocritical after the comments I gave regarding Audyssey on my Integra ... I'm going to admit to using Paradigm's PBK-1 kit on my Studio 12 sub. As I understand it, this can be used on any of the Reference level subs.

I was initially inclined to leave everything "au natural." However, some very severe standing waves showed up in Phantom of the Opera's overture and convinced me otherwise ... particularly as my 6 year old watches this daily. They overwhelmed everything else going on.

The software was very easy to setup on a Windows machine (I have Vista) and it requires two open USB ports. I was prompted to use 5 measuring positions and did so. The entire process took about 20 minutes from start to finish. As you can see below ... it found the problem areas.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/macejd04/MaceRoom.jpg

The software EQ'd my sub and I can safely say it killed the standing waves and strengthened my the weak zone. I'm getting much more even sound across the frequency spectrum and it's behaving as you would expect a sub too. No more standing waves!

My caveat: I crossover at 70 Hz so all the corrections above that aren't actually used. However ... (I can't believe I'm gonna say this) I will probably let Audyssey have one more crack at my room to see if it can clean those up. Although as mentioned in my other thread I'll back the distances out afterward. but the tonal adjustments I might leave. We'll see.

Anyway ... just wanted to say I'm thrilled with the EQ job the PBK-1 kit did on my sub. Much better behaved. Now if I could program my kids so easily :D J/J!!!

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Nice write up. I have heard some great things about the PBK. It's also reasonably priced as well. I also think its great that your thinking about giving Audyssey another shot. I hope I did not come off the wrong way in the previous thread. I was just trying to help.:) I have included a link to Audyssey's FAQ page which should help answer some questions. Just about every manufacture has poor manuals and fails to include important info.

I have copied and pasted two things which you spoke about in your previous thread in regards to Audyssey. http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html#subwoofer

Hope this helps.

My subwoofer is physically closer than the distance reported by MultEQ. Why?
Many powered subwoofers do not provide the capability to defeat the built-in low-pass filter. These filters, by their nature, introduce additional delay in the signal and MultEQ finds that and reports it. The optimum solution is to turn the filters off (often called "LFE mode" in subwoofers). If that is not possible, set the low pass frequency to the highest possible setting and leave the distance reported as is. MultEQ will compensate for the added delay and time align the subwoofer to the satellite channels so that the optimum blend is achieved.

Why does Audyssey set my speakers to Large (or Small) when I know they are not?
MultEQ does not set the speakers to Large or Small. This is a decision made by each individual AVR manufacturer and each uses a different speaker roll-off frequency to make this decision. Audyssey recommends the decision should be made using 40 Hz as the roll- off frequency. That is to say, if a speaker is found to roll-off below 40 Hz it should be called Large and all other speakers should be called Small.

If your AVR manufacturer sets your speakers to Large then all content below the crossover frequency is lost as it is not redirected to the subwoofer. Audyssey recommends changing the speaker setting to Small manually after the calibration is finished.

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
It's ... reasonably priced
Well, I was quoted around $300 which I think is a bit expensive. But compared to an obnoxious sub ... it's worth it.

In regards to Audyssey ... no worries. I wonder what it would take to display graphs on the TV screen of what it's finding like the PBK does on your laptop. That would be interesting.

I also wonder if things will go differently since my sub is EQ'd? I don't know the logic behind the program so perhaps it noticed the sub was producing standing waves and that's why it decided to transfer most of the bass back to the towers.

Anyway - we'll see how it shakes out. I'm not holding my breath but we'll see.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis