Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know Best Buy sold Pioneer Elite stuff.
They do in their Magnolia centers, but those aren't in every Best Buy. For example, there isn't one in the Best Buy that is closest to me.

I bought my current Pioneer from Best Buy. I had researched it online, knew that I wanted it, and knew how much it cost. I asked them over the phone if they would price match, they did it without any problems at all, so I just walked in and bought it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the Viera Cast to connect to the internet. In other words, it isn't connecting. The network connection says that it's working, but it won't connect to the server. I've searched the internet a bit, but this clearly isn't a widespread issue. I thought it might be a firewall issue, but the shear lack of Google hits makes me think it's something else.

Back to it...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Got it! I had to turn on Personal Web Sharing on the Mac to get Viera Cast to connect, then I had to turn off the firewall to start the software update. I'll look for the specific firewall port now.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, as it turns out, Viera Cast is actually kind of useless. :) Maybe if they add Netflix to it, then I'll use it. Or a program guide (I still can't believe that it doesn't have one). Until then, I don't think that I'll be using it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What exactly does it do?
Google, dude. Google. :p

It has some internet capability. It can play YouTube videos (although, without a keyboard, searches aren't quite as easy), has a weather feature (which is kind of nice, actually), can connect to Amazon On Demand videos (but I don't want to pay extra for those), and has stock information.

There's one section for a service that is "Coming Soon". I sure hope that's Netflix, but I don't have my hopes up.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I did actually... I just figured I'd give you a chance to expound, I thought you'd be excited... :D:p
If my MacBook hadn't microwaved my boys earlier today, maybe. :)

Now, I'm trying to get the BD Live portion of my Transformers disc to work.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I got BD Live to work on Transformers, but I had to put an SD memory card in the slot to get it to work. Heaven help normal people who run into this. The player just told me that either the player wasn't connected to the internet or that it didn't support BD Live. I knew that it was connected and it supports it, so I Googled. There was no specific info on Transformers that I saw (although I didn't look for long), but there was a single mention of someone putting in a memory card for another disc. Well, it worked - although I never would have thought of that on my own.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have two more HT things to work on today. First, trying to get the MacBook display output to fill the whole screen on my Panny (it won't fill it regardless of what resolution I pick, or if I use display mirroring or not). Second, I'm going to try and get file sharing set up between my desktop and my MB.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have finally taken Alex's advice and have started to run those break-in images. Turns out that there's a version that will go on a memory card. I simply put the files on the card, slipped the card in the TV, and started the slide show.

What inspired me to do this? Well, after watching Hunt for Red October on Netflix last night, I turned the TV off at about 1:30am. There weren't any lights on, so the room went dark - and I could still see the menu on the screen, and the letterbox area from the movie was still visible. The carpet isn't exactly new anymore, but I'm still happy that I didn't actually wet myself when I saw that. Hopefully that's normal, but I started running the image retention screen wipe after that, and now I'm running the break-in images.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully that's normal ...
Not to worry. That clears up on it's own. I'm not aware of any Pannys with permanent image retention but the break-in disc is just a precaution. Actually to me it's the equivalent of shaking chicken bones at the TV. I don't really understand it but who cares? I mean I've read this and I've read that but the disc only cost me $6.50 I think and after reading what that guy with the $4000 Samsung went through I knew two things: get a Panny and get the break-in disc. :D

You'll be fine. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Alex!

I can't remember which model of Panny you have. Does it have a memory card slot? That was really convenient for me, and saved me from using a DVD-R for 16 MB worth of files (the image files that go on the card are even smaller at about 500 MB).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't remember which model of Panny you have.
I forgot too. :D TH50PZ77U ??? Maybe.

Does it have a memory card slot?
I don't remember. :eek: I think it might. I think I remember that I thought it would be cool to look at pictures on. I got tired of treating it like a space shuttle. I haven't looked at the manual in a year. I checked the calibration after a few months and it was still good. I haven't looked back.

Have you done the AviaII thing yet?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Have you done the AviaII thing yet?
Not yet. I was waiting for the phosphors to break in a bit, after having that be recommended here. I figure that I'll run through the break-in images for a bit and then maybe calibrate next weekend.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Not yet. I was waiting for the phosphors to break in a bit, after having that be recommended here. I figure that I'll run through the break-in images for a bit and then maybe calibrate next weekend.
That's a dramatic improvement in PQ. Maybe it was more pronounced for me because I was watching The Fifth Element playing on a calibrated 32" LCD hooked up via component video cables and watching the same thing on an uncalibrated Panny hooked up via HDMI from the same player at the same time in the same room from the same player at the same time in the same room ... you get it, right? Anyway, before the calibration of the Panny, the stupid 32" was looking really good but after the Panny got the love, it made it worth the money. It may be harder for you to notice the improvement because you won't be able to do a direct comparison. But you can trust me on this one. The improvement is real. ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, I believe you! I've calibrated two monitors before this. I will do it, but I want to break it in first. The THX mode does a good job, IMO, and reviews of that feature were all positive and said that it came very close to being correctly calibrated right out of the box. So, I'm not in a huge rush, but I will do it soon.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I have finally taken Alex's advice and have started to run those break-in images. Turns out that there's a version that will go on a memory card. I simply put the files on the card, slipped the card in the TV, and started the slide show.

What inspired me to do this? Well, after watching Hunt for Red October on Netflix last night, I turned the TV off at about 1:30am. There weren't any lights on, so the room went dark - and I could still see the menu on the screen, and the letterbox area from the movie was still visible. The carpet isn't exactly new anymore, but I'm still happy that I didn't actually wet myself when I saw that. Hopefully that's normal, but I started running the image retention screen wipe after that, and now I'm running the break-in images.
I’m sure Alex’s comforting words on the subject have already put you at ease, but I just wanted add some more weight to what he said.

I used to see a lot IR or ghosting on my older TH-42PX60U. It was especially noticeable in a dark room as you shut everything down. But it was never permanent and was never noticeable with moving material on the screen.

In other words don’t sweat it, but I’m sure you're not…now:p

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm glad that I started running the break-in images. It makes me feel like I actually accomplished something this weekend... :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I was going to buy an Oppo blu-ray player yesterday, but then Amazon went out of stock. Just bad timing for me, I suppose. I was going to buy the Oppo and then give my DMP-BD60 to a friend of mine. I was so disappointed that I couldn't give him the player, that I bought him a new one from Amazon today and had it shipped next day. He'll get it tomorrow. His wife wouldn't let him get one, so I bet that he'll be excited about it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis