Review: SVS PB10-NSD Subwoofer

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
How's the PB treatin' ya? :)
Very good. Watched Transformers on Blu-ray yesterday. I do have a question though and hope someone can clarify what I heard. During one of the intense bass scenes near the end, I heard something that sounded like a click. It couldn't been part of the track but it seemed to come from the sub location. The sub's volume is just past halfway and my receiver was a -23. I didn't hear it after and don't notice any changes to the sub's sound.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Did you replay that part of the movie to check if you could hear the click again? Perhaps at a lower volume? Just curious if you know if it was repeatable.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Very good. Watched Transformers on Blu-ray yesterday. I do have a question though and hope someone can clarify what I heard. During one of the intense bass scenes near the end, I heard something that sounded like a click. It couldn't been part of the track but it seemed to come from the sub location. The sub's volume is just past halfway and my receiver was a -23. I didn't hear it after and don't notice any changes to the sub's sound.
If you are close to overdriving the sub you may hear a clack or click (loud) as the driver bottoms. I've heard it with my Ultra once (but it was WAY loud). My receiver was at -5 or 6 MV at the time.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
No, I didn't repeat it, I'll try it some other time. We just enjoyed the movie. The Ironhide flip over the screaming girl was intense. I expected to bottom out there, but it didn't. Now I can't remember what scene I heard the click. But it was definately in the street shootout prior to the ironhide flip.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I've re watched Transformers since my sub's arrival and didn't notice anything, however I don't have it on BR. FWIW I'm running my sub just under half gain with my receivers level at 0 dbs and volume @ -(5/10)dbs and able to reach significant SPL's without a problem. You really need to get a SPL and calibrate your set up.:)

Heh.. I was watching some Nascar the other day and my wife was in the kitchen when she entered the living room to ask me if I heard some thunder, I just smiled and said NO.:D

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I've re watched Transformers since my sub's arrival and didn't notice anything, however I don't have it on BR. FWIW I'm running my sub just under half gain with my receivers level at 0 dbs and volume @ -(5/10)dbs and able to reach significant SPL's without a problem. You really need to get a SPL and calibrate your set up.:)

Heh.. I was watching some Nascar the other day and my wife was in the kitchen when she entered the living room to ask me if I heard some thunder, I just smiled and said NO.:D
Yea, I definately need to get a SPL meter, but -23 on a Yamaha receiver isn't all that loud. Your 3805 is way louder than my 6160.

I'm not a Nascar fan but it is fun to watch in 5.1. I wish F1 and MotoGP was in HD.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
+1........:) Been lookin' at the LOTR trilogy EE. Awesome stuff. I really like the scene in fellowship where the ring wraith is looking for Frodo, and they are under the tree. Some deep, powerful bass there. I love the extended edition. Very immersive. I feel like I'm there with them in the movie.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
+1........:) Been lookin' at the LOTR trilogy EE. Awesome stuff. I really like the scene in fellowship where the ring wraith is looking for Frodo, and they are under the tree. Some deep, powerful bass there. I love the extended edition. Very immersive. I feel like I'm there with them in the movie.
Yea, the first movie has the best bass. I thought the Helm's Deep scene, while great with intensity and expansive surround, lacked the "WOW" that was present in Fellowship.

Also, Indiana Jones on Blu-ray Steelbook is awesome as well! The movie sucked but the audio is TOPS!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yea, the first movie has the best bass. I thought the Helm's Deep scene, while great with intensity and expansive surround, lacked the "WOW" that was present in Fellowship.
I'm sure someone can actually measure the stuff, but I thought all three had tremendous bass. 2 Towers, the scenes with the Entes knocked off my center speaker from the AV stand! :eek:

Since then it never happened again with much more secure placement, and now I have a completely different setup ... but still! :eek:

I heard King Kong is supposed to be pretty nuts too... :cool:

T

titogap

Audiophyte
Great review!

Wow, bluesmoke I like very much your review.
This subwoofer it looks an excellent companion to my Klipsh speakers.:)

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Wow, bluesmoke I like very much your review.
This subwoofer it looks an excellent companion to my Klipsh speakers.:)
Thanks man. It was something I threw up quickly and had giant images so you wouldn't see some of my lame jokes coming a mile away. :D

Sub still rocks! Flawless!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Sub still rocks! Flawless!
DITO...:D!! I can't believe how good this sub is. I can only imagine or dream what the pb13 would sound like, but I might go dual 10's for the hell of it or a DYI if I'm feeling bold:).

Regards, Bill :)

A

areyes926

Audiophyte
Bluesmoke,

Thanks for sharing! I am currently trying to decide between SVS PB10 NSD and PB12 NSD myself. The room I am going to use it for is slightly bigger than yours (23'x15' and 8' high) so I am leaning towards the PB12 until I so the size of it. So now I am trying to determine if the PB10 will be enough for the size of my room since it is a little smaller that the PB12.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Bluesmoke,

Thanks for sharing! I am currently trying to decide between SVS PB10 NSD and PB12 NSD myself. The room I am going to use it for is slightly bigger than yours (23'x15' and 8' high) so I am leaning towards the PB12 until I so the size of it. So now I am trying to determine if the PB10 will be enough for the size of my room since it is a little smaller that the PB12.
For that room, PB12 no question. PB10 would be fine, but I'd go PB12 here.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Bigger is always better (Just ask my girlfriend ;-P)!!! I can't wait to get the SVS EQ in the next month or so.....I will also be getting my 2nd PB Ultra..... I cant wait to hear how they will sound fine tuned.

Are you going to get a EQ BLUESMOKE???

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis